Emergency preparedness

Thread: Emergency preparedness

glowing ghostie! Array gordopolis's Avatar
    Bike
    I have kids

Exclamation Emergency preparedness

From Boil-water advisory issued for the Lower Mainland:

Quote Originally Posted by J_Scott View Post
    Imagine Vancouver in a REAL crisis? This city went nuts over 2 days of shitty water.
    So, how prepared ARE people for a real crisis?

For most of us that crisis will be an earthquake ("the big one"), but tsunami and forest fire are also potential disasters. Hell, even the recent bad weather has caused extended power outages and disrupted transportation!

Have any of you taken specific steps to prepare?

I'm signed up to take some NEPP workshops this fall/winter. Did the Personal Ermergency Preparedness workshop last month. Everything I was told sounded reasonable.

Now it's up to me to get my act together and follow through (get my supplies together etc.). Because I think J_Scott is absolutely right -- in the face of a real emergency most of us are horribly ill-prepared. You beter be able to look after yourself because no one else will be there to take care of you!

Bike
    2009 Kawi ZX6R
    good plan - its amazing after this storm passed over the island how ill prepared port alberni realized everyone really was, especially since we were the town most affected by the storm. some parts are still without power - going on 3-4 days now, and boil water advisory will be in effect for weeks as the turbidity level at the main out at the end of my street is waaay high. one thing that did prepare us was the emergency safety traffic control course that we took (all volunteer fire depts) the night before the storm came as all the fire depts were called on to direct traffic amidst all the chaos on wednesday. all went well - was kind of a rush to go thru it all, and while directing traffic i was even lucky enough to get hit by a car. lucky i was wearing full turnout gear which offered a bit of padding, and all i was left with was a slight break in the skin and a HUGE bruise on my hip as a result of a driver not realizing that fast flowing water and debris on the road makes it difficult to come to a quick stop. its all supposed to happen again tonight, so we're ready - my parents own a grocery store and we were the only place open regardless of power outages and ran out of the staples like bread, hot dogs, sandwich meat, within the first hour or two of the 6 that we were out of power for. people were getting ready for the worse with rumors of up to 2 days without hdyro buzzing around.
    Good friends will bail you out of jail, BEST friends are the ones sitting in the cell next to you saying, "Dude that was fucking awesome!"

1996 Kawasaki Ninja EX500
    2005 Yamaha R6
    2007 Yamaha TTR230
    2009 Kawasaki ZX6R Monster Energy Edition

doug
    the lower mainland is so ill-prepared it's unreal.

city wanted to test sprinklers in the tunnel. they didn't know how to. no one thought to, say, turn them on?

years ago my cousin, a fire marshal at the time, participated in a disaster preparedness exercise. the only thing they learned was they were not going to be able to deal with the real thing, no matter how much they worked on their system. disaster routes will be either inaccessible (broken bridge) or jammed with civilian traffic.

still have poo water today in burnaby. was out in surrey doing a side job and managed to snag a big case of water from home depot. amazing how outlying areas are not affected by things in the least, and it's nearly business as usual.

Meet you on Sedna! Array MaverickPrince's Avatar
    Bike
    CBR
    Anyone know how long water can be effectively stored? e.g. does water in a washed 4L milk jug eventually go stale or bad in any way (other than taste that is...).
    3... 2... 1... Blast off, baby!

Bike
    DRZ-SM
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickPrince View Post
    Anyone know how long water can be effectively stored? e.g. does water in a washed 4L milk jug eventually go stale or bad in any way (other than taste that is...).
    I would think that unless it's completely cleaned (or sterilized) or would go bad quickly. Even bottled water has expiry dates on it. Those eye wash stations that sit on walls in workplaces have chemicals in them to keep the water good, you can't just use tap water.

;D

Registered User Array SpideRider's Avatar
    Bike
    I truly hope the recent shitty weather has opened enough eyes about their own level of preparedness for a major emergency.
    This was just a taste.
    Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield
    -----
    Sparring speed is a matter of simple physics:
    The height of your flight is inversely proportionate to the mass of your ass.

doug
    water in a washed milk jug would probably go bad in a matter of weeks. washing alone will not get all the milk gunk out of the jug. the jug will not be sterile from the start. tossing the jug in the dishwasher will just net you a melted jug. you can get 4l jugs of water to store.

overall, if you are storing emergency items, it's best to rotate them out every few months. canned goods can stay a lot longer than vacuum packed or sealed/wrapped goods. your 24 pack of mr noodle may have a half life instead of a shelf life, but it's still smart to keep your stash fresh.

i'd be stocking up on stuff, noting their expiry dates, then replacing and consuming them somewhere around halfway to the expiry at the very least.

Meet you on Sedna! Array MaverickPrince's Avatar
    Bike
    CBR
    I hear ya Doug... it's the "recycling" of the emergency supply that is the hassle I was hoping to avoid... but suffer the consequences if not I guess.
    3... 2... 1... Blast off, baby!

Twinfan
    Water (untreated straight from the tap) is good for a year in a proper container. Use readily available camping containers (Cdn Tire, etc). http://www.canadiantire.com/browse/p...=1164086346530

Useful info at www.pep.bc.ca and google for related topics.

I suggest setting up a "camping kit" [Food, Water, Shelter, Bedding, method to cook (stove), source of light (lantern)] and keep it all in a couple of plastic storage bins. Ideally, you actually go camping at least once a year. Then you learn to use the stove, etc and use up the perishable supplies. Re-stock when you get home and you will look like a genius if you ever end up with a 3 day power outage.

glowing ghostie! Array gordopolis's Avatar
    Bike
    I have kids
    The NEPP workshop I was at handed around some samples of potable water suitable for keeping in an emergency cache. They were daily-serving sized (ie. open one and it's all you need for the day).

http://www.safetycentral.com/waterrations.html

I think these last 5 years in storage? They are all date-stamped.

Slim Shadetree
    also get your firearms licence and a nice shotgun. this will help when the power is out and you back the van up to the Canadian Tire for the looting of essential items.

Also the shotgun is good to keep roving bands of thieves away from your property during the days after a disaster.

And don't store water in milk jugs, store it in a proper container or the hard clear plastic juice bottles.

Crotch Rocket Scientist Array penumbra604's Avatar
    Bike
    2001 Yamaha FZ1
    Bleach is good for treating water that may have organisms in it - still it doesn't taste the best.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/h2oemergencypurifycalc.html

You can also buy filters that last almost forever if it comes to it...

Something like my g/f has:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1164091499306
    2001 Black Yamaha FZ1

Bike
    2009 Kawi ZX6R
    you can also buy water purification drops or tablets from mec and coast mountain sports. when i was working there they were the most reccomneded on the net for ppl travelling to africa and other countries with contaminated, or not the highest quality of water. both are very easy to use and most effective if u have a container like a nalgene bottle to add the checmicals to the water with. the drops are just a few drops to so much water and the tablets are the same thing- drop one into a container of water and let it do its thing. and voila - u won't have the best tasting water as i believe that the solution is iodine or somethin of the sort, but it will be contaminant free and stabilize the water enough for consumption.
    Good friends will bail you out of jail, BEST friends are the ones sitting in the cell next to you saying, "Dude that was fucking awesome!"

1996 Kawasaki Ninja EX500
    2005 Yamaha R6
    2007 Yamaha TTR230
    2009 Kawasaki ZX6R Monster Energy Edition