A heap of sportbike frames.

Thread: A heap of sportbike frames.

Bike
    '07 BMW K1200R

A heap of sportbike frames.

Next time you're crossing the Queensborough Bridge, take a lookie over the side at the ICBC write-off yard. Specifically the bike section. Not only are there rows of what look like perfectly good bikes destined for salvage, but you'll also see a huge heap of pristine sportbike frames from the really bad accidents. My guess is that they're heading to a smelter to be turned into ingots, then over to that wheel facility in Delta and end up on someone's Camry or Previa. It's a sobering sight, and worth a look see. It also helps that I drive across the bridge in a truck and get a bird's eye....you may not be able to see the frames from a car. I wonder how much they get for those frames as scrap? Anyone know what aluminum goes for by the pound?
    What was it all about?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2001 ZX6R
    um...you want BC to separate ? and want death to rain down on the language police in Quebec....I will agree with you on the latter but on the former....I think it's time we form something like the EU over here in North America....
    2001 ZX6R
    WMRC #32 Amateur

Bike
    I wish.
    What are you smoking Human?

Hu99, I've seen that lot before.. I'd love to go down and steal some parts.
    BCSB- Administrator

Bike
    2003 GSX-R 1000
    I'd love to go down and steal some parts.
    You and me both man
    "Life is like a book. If you have not travelled, then you have only read one page."

MSN - burton6r@hotmail.com

Bike
    '07 BMW K1200R
    They should charge $50 per person per hour. I'd be able to get a shitload of goodies in an hour.
    What was it all about?

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Sorry Ben but it's just a holding yard for writeoffs. Anything that required investigation would need to be held where it wouldn't be rained on. Aside from donuts the other thing cops like is to be dry and warm.......

Those frames are probably from accident or possibly warranty replacements. When you get a new frame the original VIN is stamped into the steering head. At that point the old frame with the VIN MUST be destroyed. They probably hold them down there until they get sold as scrap to a trusted foundry. For obvious reasons VIN's are VERY carefully controlled.

And aluminium scrap is worth about $1.85 a lb. I buy scrap aluminium from ABC Salvage for my shop projects and he charges $2.50.

If anyone needs metal ABC is the place to go. No 3 and Bridgeport in Richmond. Open on Saturday from 10 to 2 or something like that. Steel is $0.90 a lb and the alu is $2.50 as I said. In fact I gotta get back out there. I remember seeing some gangways about 24 inches wide from light box rails and expanded metal. Might make a great motorcycle ramp for the truck.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    2005 FZ6
    [i]
    If anyone needs metal ABC is the place to go. No 3 and Bridgeport in Richmond. Open on Saturday from 10 to 2 or something like that. Steel is $0.90 a lb and the alu is $2.50 as I said. In fact I gotta get back out there. I remember seeing some gangways about 24 inches wide from light box rails and expanded metal. Might make a great motorcycle ramp for the truck. [/B]
    Hey Bruce if you need a ramp for the truck let me know. I have an aluminium one that I bought cheap works well if it is dry, but I am in the process of buying a trailer for the SUV, so if you want it for $2.50 a pound it will cost you about $20
    WMRC #749

THE WORLD IS GOING CRAZY
    "You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the 3 most powerful men in America are named 'Bush', 'Dick', and 'Colon'"

-Chris Rock

Bike
    '07 BMW K1200R
    $1.85 a pound? That's not much. What does a sportbike frame weigh anyway? Gotta be about 15lbs, so if I'm ever short of $$$ I can sell my frame for $27.75. That's always good to know.
    What was it all about?

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Originally posted by Digi168

Hey Bruce if you need a ramp for the truck let me know. I have an aluminium one that I bought cheap works well if it is dry, but I am in the process of buying a trailer for the SUV, so if you want it for $2.50 a pound it will cost you about $20
    SOLD

Pm me with your phone number and I'll give you a call. And THANKS
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    88 RC30
    Special claims are held town town at the Cambie ICBC. All the car, trucks and bikes you see off the bridge are either for salvage or closed bidding auction. So if you know someone with a wreckers or dealers licence who will put in bids for you go ahead. You can buy pretty much anything from there (whole as is). Where do you think all the lovely rebuilders come from??? Something to think about the next time you're buying a car or truck.