The Need For Speed(ing)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Need For Speed(ing)

Bike
    DR650 SuMo

The Need For Speed(ing)

Rant Advisory.

hey all,

just a quick rant to get this off my chest. i've noticed an alarming and rather annoying phenomenon of late. as an experienced sport bike rider, i usually wear full leathers everywhere i go. this practice has saved me more than once on track days and on the street when i was struck by a car a couple of years back. what's really annoying is the fact that many car drivers seem to feel that this is my way of inviting a race or, worse yet, make the assumption that i am AUTOMATICALLY speeding and riding FAST. on a stretch of Cambie st. from S.W.Marine Drive to the downtown core i was challenged by no less than 5 cars that seemed to assume that because i'm aboard a Ducati wearing full race leathers that i want to race them off the lights or show them just how fast my bike is. puhlease. is a sportbike doing the speed limit such an ABNORMAL thing nowadays?
    this occurrence doesn't seem limited to cars unfortunately. there have been occassions where i'll meet another motorcyclist on the road who upon noticing or seeing i'm back there will then start to ride like a total knob - weaving through traffic, rapid speed bursts, illegal or close cuts and vehicle passes. to prove to me what? just how much faster your bike is than mine? most of the time i'll let that rider leave me in the dust... what's left though is a wake of pissed-off cagers who now see ALL motorcyclists as impatient and crazy dickheads.
    so what's my point, you ask? simply put... i have more at stake with my Class 6 license than most. ask people i ride with however and they'll tell you that i'm neither a "safety wimp" or a "passive rider victim" of car traffic... i AM however a firm believer of THE RIGHT TIME AND THE RIGHT PLACE for riding my sportbikes the way they were meant to be ridden. and yes the hypocritical connundrum is that sometimes it means bending the law... but just a little. i am always the first to back down when the situation gets dicey or pushes the risk envelope of common sense.
    ...but i WILL NOT race your Subaru WRX, or your souped-up Civic, or your Ninja or whatever because it makes absolutely NO sense to do so on a busy, traffic-filled, PUBLIC street. get me to Seattle International Raceway or Portland or some closed circuit racetrack and we'll talk.
    take this anyway you want and remember it's just my opinion. like i mentioned earlier there is a time and a place for higher speeds and simple pure motorcycling fun. using common sense and discretion is your sole responsibility as a SPORTBIKE RIDER.
    thanks for reading this far...

cheers!

Z-reX 12R
    Last edited by Z-ReX 12; 10-24-2002 at 08:46 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2003 Honda VFR800
    I don`t think its ranting and BTW..Well put

Member #827 Array CrotchRocketeer's Avatar
    Bike
    10R

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Well said, Jose. Riding a sportbike does not obligate us to go ballistic speeds at all times. That time and place thing is the crux of the matter. This does not make us wimps or chickens, it makes us alive, ready to ride for a long time to come. Can you PM me some info on instructor qualifications?

Litre Chick
    I think it's great that someone has finally mentioned this. It happens to me alot.

Super Addict Array
    Bike
    Want an appliance? Buy Japanese.
    Very well said. I must be riding in the wrong/right places then.

I can't remember the last time a car wanted to race me. The last time a bike wanted to was on K.George highway last summer. And of course I was on the Quota and he was on a breathed on Buell. fyi the Guzzi Quota was not noted for it's 1/4 times ha ha ha. Kept up to him until I kept hitting the rev limiter though

Bike
    The Bench !
    Now you know what it's like to drive a Mustang around. Only difference being I don't have to worry about losing to a Ninja or WRX !
    sdfjkdhfdsfdsf

Registered User Array SpideRider's Avatar
    Bike
    Good message, Jose.
    Good on ya.
    Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield
    -----
    Sparring speed is a matter of simple physics:
    The height of your flight is inversely proportionate to the mass of your ass.

Registered User Array KawasakiCutekid's Avatar
    Bike
    OH YEAH!
    I have the same problem with a sup up civic......
    BCSB # 908

Tony
    Interesting post, as I've noticed the same thing. I mean it probably happens with ANY sportbike, but here I am in full racing leathers, boots, helmet, gloves, etc., and that obvious "900RR" decaled on the bike's tail section, which is why occasionally I get the kids in Accords, Civics, etc., alongside me on the Cambie or Granville bridges that obviously want to race. Well, I don't race them. My driving record is clean and my insurance rates low, and I'd like to keep it that way. And with a little caution and common sense, maybe I'll be riding another 28 years. Besides, I don't need to prove anything to anyone -- my bike could kick their cars' asses; I know it, and so what? I don't need to compete with some shit-brained kid that uses his car (paid for by mom and dad probably) to prove to the world that he really doesn't have a micropenis problem.

What I do notice too is the impatience with car drivers (duh, no kidding) at times: They likely think I'll drive fast just by looking at my gear and bike, so get impatient when I keep it to 25 km/h in residential areas, etc. They'll bitch about when we drive too fast, but then don't like it when we DO drive slow and careful!

Bike
    none, till the boys are older
    I fully agree w/ time & place.
    Watch out for that WRX though. There is a dark blue one around
    that is a cop car. I've seen it a number of times on S.Granville. The cop driving it was wearing a dark coloured fleece w/ POLICE
    on the back. You would never know it was a cop.
    "...than I'll be done and we can dance.."

Bike
    BMW R1150 GS
    This goofy but I get challenged on my gs. It is good off the line but... lets just say it is a heavy bike.

builder of bikes Array cosworth's Avatar
    Bike
    bah
    No one ever challenges me on my bike or in my car. Haven't driven the car in some time (2 years) but most would be wise to not race me.

I just don't look at other drivers at lights. Only if they are female and hot.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    I think it's called testosterone...... and a lack of control over it's glandular production...........

And yes it's happened to me as well and sometimes I DO find that when I'm around other bikes I feel this need to show off just a little...... even though I try to squelch it as much as possible....

But never on crowded streets. That's just stupid........
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

KO7
    Originally posted by Tony
    They'll bitch about when we drive too fast, but then don't like it when we DO drive slow and careful!
    Tony is right, we can't win either way can we.