We Worry About The Wrong Things
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: We Worry About The Wrong Things

Bike
    Ninja 1000

We Worry About The Wrong Things

I was reading Time magazine at lunch today and it had an interesting article on why we worry about such stupid things. We worry about bee stings, dog attacks, airplane crashing, mad cow disease, west nile virus, and the bird flu. These things only account for about 384 deaths out of 2,500,000 deaths in 2003.

What we should be worried about!
    1. Heart Disease - 685,089 deaths
    2. Cancer - 556,902 deaths
    3. Stroke - 157,689 deaths
    4. Chronic lower-respiratory disease - 126,382 deaths
    5. Diabetes - 74,219 deaths
    6. Car Accident - 44,757 deaths
    7. HIV/AIDS - 13,658 deaths
    8. Alcoholic Live Disease - 12,360 deaths
    9. Drug Overdose - 11,212 deaths
    10. Motorcycle Accident 3,767 deaths

Other interesting stats are; there are twice as many suicides as there are murders. You have a better chance of dying by falling out of bed or down the stairs then flying on a plane!

One of the more interesting points of the article was grocery shopping. People were VERY cautious about buying Spinach after the e-coli scare but at the same time they had their shopping carts filled with non-hydrogenated palm oil French Fries & salty deep fried potato chips! We put all sorts of filters on our faucets and buy bottled water when we have some of cleanest drinking water in the world.

It was an interesting read.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...562978,00.html

Bike
    :)
    many good points Lee...

I was just reading up on how the number of people suffering from anxiety has sky-rocketed in recent years. And the facts are similar - all for "trivial" things that should not be.

With Christmas fast approaching it made me take a step back and have a look at REALITY! I think more people need to do the same

Bike
    2006 GSXR 750
    ya we tend to get our knickers in a knot and worry about a lot of things.

Although on the airplane thing, it's not the odds of an airplane crash that I dont' like, it's how when that event comes up your odds of survival go through the floor. Although that Air France crash in TO last year was testament that survival is indeed possible.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain

Hello BCSB!

Registered User Array kriestpuncher's Avatar
    Bike
    04 cbr 600rr
    a little off topic but interesting.
    hiv does not cause aids. believe it or not.
    javascriptl('http://duesberg.com/');
    http://duesberg.com/
    javascriptl('http://duesberg.com/viewpoints/kintro.html');
    http://duesberg.com/viewpoints/kintro.html
    javascriptl('http://www.virusmyth.net/aids/whistleblowers.htm');
    http://www.virusmyth.net/aids/whistleblowers.htm

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieJames View Post
    ya we tend to get our knickers in a knot and worry about a lot of things.

Although on the airplane thing, it's not the odds of an airplane crash that I dont' like, it's how when that event comes up your odds of survival go through the floor. Although that Air France crash in TO last year was testament that survival is indeed possible.
    Yeah, i'm not afraid of flying. It is falling out of the sky in a huge fireball of DEATH part that worries me.
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

Bike
    2006 GSXR 750
    Quote Originally Posted by made Man View Post
    Yeah, i'm not afraid of flying. It is falling out of the sky in a huge fireball of DEATH part that worries me.
    Exactly.. I love it when people compare it to the likelihood of being in a car accident. I don't care, if I'm in a car accident I have a 99% survival rate. If my plane hits another plane, a wing falls off, an engine blows up etc., I'm sorry but at 40,000 ft there's a long way down and it won't be pretty.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain

Hello BCSB!

Bike
    Ninja 1000
    You guys are forgetting that it is highly unlikely that something will happen when you are on a commercial flight!

license to chill Array frontside5's Avatar
    Bike
    R6, F4 stunter
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieJames View Post
    Exactly.. I love it when people compare it to the likelihood of being in a car accident. I don't care, if I'm in a car accident I have a 99% survival rate. If my plane hits another plane, a wing falls off, an engine blows up etc., I'm sorry but at 40,000 ft there's a long way down and it won't be pretty.
    I've always liked how both cars and planes have seatbelts; somehow I don't think they're equally effective.

Bike
    2006 GSXR 750
    Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post
    You guys are forgetting that it is highly unlikely that something will happen when you are on a commercial flight!
    lol ya that's my point.. it's unlikely something will happen. But when something does happen, odds of survival go to 0. In a car when something happens, odds are still high.

-Mark Twain

Hello BCSB!

Slim Shadetree

What Me Worry ??

I make grown adults cry! Array
    Bike
    Sold
    2. Cancer - 556,902 deaths
    3. Stroke - 157,689 deaths
    4. Chronic lower-respiratory disease - 126,382 deaths
    These four tend to, aside from cancer, have a high representation due to them often being a byproduct of aging. Strokes and heart problems happen no matter how much granola and sea weed you eat: They just coat your arteries less than a chicken fried steak washed down with a gallon of coke and a fried Mars bar for dessert.

The heart one is kind of funny, in that everybody dies of a "heart failure". The only fatal condition is exactly that, it's what caused you heart to stop beating that is often referred to.

5. Diabetes - 74,219 deaths
    Lifestyle, for the most part.

6. Car Accident - 44,757 deaths
    This one is simply environmental. We live around cars, so people die when they interact with them negatively. You'll note that since the middle ages, deaths from horse related causes have spiraled downwards. That doesn't mean that horses are safer, we've just found new way to die.

7. HIV/AIDS - 13,658 deaths
    A slow-motion pandemic. We usually have a few on the go at any given time, AIDS/HIV is tragic, but really, it's no worse than Spanish Flu right after WW1.

8. Alcoholic Live Disease - 12,360 deaths
    9. Drug Overdose - 11,212 deaths
    Lifestyle choices, for the most part.

10. Motorcycle Accident 3,767 deaths
    Truly a tragedy in every case. But I'm biased.
    When will I find a hobby that my mother approves of?

Crotch Rocket Scientist Array penumbra604's Avatar
    Bike
    2001 Yamaha FZ1
    Kriestpuncher

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duesberg_hypothesis

Aids is caused by HIV. Only a few radicals believe otherwise. Perhaps you were putting it forward humourously but some people really do believe in Duesberg's pseudoscience.
    2001 Black Yamaha FZ1

AKA Martini-girl!! Array martigirl73's Avatar
    Bike
    it goes fast...thats all you need to know
    I guess live each day like its your last, stop and smell the roses, dance like no one is watching...and ride fast, ride hard, ride safe!!!!
    Behind every strong woman...is her bike!

Bike
    n/a
    Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post
    What we should be worried about!
    That's okay....keeps me employed. Y'all just keep eating like crap and not exercising and I'll look after ya when you've had your jammer and we've fixed you and everyone can get heart transplants when their heart gives out on them....there's plenty to go around

Tongue in cheek of course......

Life is short, so enjoy it while you've got it.

Bike
    Ninja 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydfish View Post
    These four tend to, aside from cancer, have a high representation due to them often being a byproduct of aging. Strokes and heart problems happen no matter how much granola and sea weed you eat: They just coat your arteries less than a chicken fried steak washed down with a gallon of coke and a fried Mars bar for dessert.
    These types of diseases are happening more and more at a younger age.

I agree we can eat healthy and still get these problems but I would rather those diseases happen late in my life, not earlier.