CBR F4I question for winter storage

Thread: CBR F4I question for winter storage

Smooth Operator Array marclapierre's Avatar
    Bike
    She's Gone :'(

CBR F4I question for winter storage

Hi guys.
    I am getting ready to store my bike for the winter, and some of the spring.
    (4 MONTHS?)
    I washed it, lubed the chain, filled it with gas, i am buying fuel stabalizer and a battery tender next week.
    Is there anything else i need to do that is necessary?

I hear "fog the cylinders" and also "change the carbs"... Are these necessary things to do, or can i get away without doing, but obviously i do not want to ruin my bike.

If i do have to do those 2 things, HOW do i do it????????????

Anythings else that needs to be done?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

KAwa-lev
    Well first and for most, you dont have carberators. Fogging the cylinders is a good idea, if its going to sit for 4 months. It wont ruin the bike if you don't do it, but its just a precaution. If you can, put it up on a bike stand, so neither tires are touching, this prevents cracking. fogging the cylinders you can try to do it.. It just requires you to remove your plugs and use some sort of adhesive meant for preventing rust.. then covering them up. also put a paper towel into your exhaust, and tape it up, also preventing moist getting into through the exhaust into your engine. theres a site for this, ill find it in a bit.

Bike
    02 Gixxer
    http://www.clarity.net/~adam/winter-storage.htmlRead this it should help you out

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    Change the carbs? Hard to do on a fuel injected bike You should change the oil though.
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

Bike
    ok, so its is all stored... oil change, bike cleaned, chain lubed, muffler covered, battery tended, and covered in a garage.... thanks for the tips

Bike
    2002 CBR600F4i
    this is a tip i've heard and used. but double check with others.

With regards to your tires, you should put your bike up on a front and rear stand. This prevents your tires from developing a flat spot on the part where the tire touches the ground.

But I don't have stands, so I was told to put the air pressure in my tires to the max allowable. This way the highly inflated tires will take longer to develop this flat spot.

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    Or you can just rotate them once in a while
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    The tire deal is an old wive's tale. I've never had any issues with flat spotting and you won't either as long as you double check the pressure to make sure they don't go flat.

This flat spotting thing may have been an issue back in the 70's with bias ply tires or something but it doesn't affect anything made since most of you were born.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    oh thats interesting. I dont have a stand either. My tires are probably about 3-5 PSi lower then the max allowed, because it hasnt been ridden in a month, but they definatly are not flat. I may just "rotate them", but like TeeTee said, i probably dont need to...