Federal Inspection Centres for Imported Bikes

Thread: Federal Inspection Centres for Imported Bikes

Bike
    Hyperstrada

Federal Inspection Centres for Imported Bikes

For those who have done the US importation process, are there any inspection centres in Vancouver that you would recommend? Or for that matter warn of not to go to?

The RIV form lists Triple D Equipment Sales on Boundary & A-1 Unity Auto Service on Howe St. Anyone have any experience with them? They sure don't sound like bike shops.
    Back on the saddle.

My travels:
    http://victoreric.blogspot.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    FZ1
    You may want to check with Carter Motorsports to see if they are an govt approved inspection centre. I heard it from someone a while back but cannot confirm for you at this time.

Newbie Poser Squid Array bafflebrain's Avatar
    Bike
    bad, m'kay?
    All Cr@ppy Tires Automotive Dept can do the RIV inspection. There is no additional fee (already included in your RIV fee) and Provincial inspection required; despite the advice of some ill-informed CT Service Manager.

Go to the one on Marine DR. near Oak St. They know exactly what to do there and very quick.
    "It's not my fault your slow!"

Bike
    Hyperstrada
    Quote Originally Posted by bafflebrain View Post
    All Cr@ppy Tires Automotive Dept can do the RIV inspection. There is no additional fee (already included in your RIV fee) and Provincial inspection required; despite the advice of some ill-informed CT Service Manager.

Go to the one on Marine DR. near Oak St. They know exactly what to do there and very quick.
    Awesome, thanks. I didn't know it was part of the importation fee already. Guess I got extra money now.
    Back on the saddle.

My travels:

Registered User Array
    Bike
    SV650
    when I brought my miata in from California back in 98, I took it to A-1 for the inspection. They seem ok. All they're doing is looking to make sure what's on their checklist has been done.

Bike
    1991 RGV250M
    as far as I know Canadian tire doesn't do bike. When I imported my bike I had to take it to Imperial for the BC inspection.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Yep, cars only. Imperial does them and Burnaby Kawi used to do them or does them but won't do customs or something like that.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Member #827 Array CrotchRocketeer's Avatar
    Bike
    10R
    Wrong. Canadian Tire don't service bikes, but are contracted by the RIV to do federal inspections on them. Makes it easy if you're having a modified bike inspected, most of the techs there are complete idiots in regards to motorcycles.

Bike
    Hyperstrada
    Finally got it done at the Canadian Tire on Kingsway. You're right about being complete idiots there. I called in first and they don't know what I was talking about, told them to ask around and same response. Then I went in the 2nd dat and talked to an older fella that looks like he knows what he's doing and he booked me in right away and got it done in 5 minutes. All they really do is go through the checklist that RIV's got on form 2 and check everything off.
    Back on the saddle.

My travels:

Bike
    2003 Silver Harley V-Rod, 2005 KLR 650
    Simon's Auto in Langley does provincial inspection. He's a rider / racer and tech inspector at WMRC

Biker69 on here

Hope that helps
    Your source for unique Promotional products

VROMBC

Quote Originally Posted by R1 Girl
    The one and only!!! "Robert"

All-weather biker. Array
    Bike
    F4

Bike Inspections - RIV and BC Safety

Any Crappy Tire can do the basic RIV Canada inspection on any motor vehicle coming into Canada, bikes included.

If the bike also needs a BC safety inspection (for instance if it has a rebuild title) then that must be done at a BC certified bike shop. I used Imperial last time.

Still defying gravity... Array Thumper 8's Avatar
    Bike
    3 and 6 cylinders of fury
    Quote Originally Posted by VictorEric View Post
    Finally got it done at the Canadian Tire on Kingsway. You're right about being complete idiots there. I called in first and they don't know what I was talking about, told them to ask around and same response. Then I went in the 2nd dat and talked to an older fella that looks like he knows what he's doing and he booked me in right away and got it done in 5 minutes. All they really do is go through the checklist that RIV's got on form 2 and check everything off.
    Eric,

Did you bring in the VFR from the States, and if so, any ball park figure on how much you saved after all was said and done??? Just curious...
    Last edited by Thumper 8; 01-21-2007 at 06:58 PM.

aka Tony

My WMRC/Pitt Meadows and other bike photos are at Thumphoto.com - follow on Twitter and connect on Facebook

Newbie Poser Squid Array bafflebrain's Avatar
    Bike
    bad, m'kay?
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Simon's Auto in Langley does provincial inspection. He's a rider / racer and tech inspector at WMRC

Biker69 on here

Hope that helps
    Bump for Simon (Simon's Automotive) if you need a Provincial inspection.

He is very good at what he does and his dog will keep you entertained.
    "It's not my fault your slow!"