Need advice-bad brake job?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need advice-bad brake job?

Bike
    2013 Ninja 1000

Need advice-bad brake job?

I have a 2002 Grand Am, had new front brake pads and rotors installed November 28 and now there is a metal on metal sound coming from the front, a definete screeching sound (and no its not my ABS). I am thinking that if GM decides to just resurface the rotors this is bad as it shortens rotor life and I'll be spending more money sooner. There is a bit of pedal pulsation also. Maybe a hard spot? What about runout in the hub? I feel like I should just prepare to bend over and take it from GM even after THe $700 I already spent. Any advice?
    We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.

Happy Camper Array BlackScorpion's Avatar
    Purgasurrey Sportbike: GSX-R750, 2001 F4i, 2002 RM-9, 2003 Derbi SuperMoto Xtreme Posts:1,000,016!!
    Bike
    GSX-R750, 2001 F4i, 2002 RM-9 Posts:1,000,012!!
    If the work order says new rotors, then they should have put new rotors in. If they resurfaced your old ones, then that sucks.

How many KMs have you put on your car, compared to what the bill says?

If the squealer tabs weren't installed correctly, it could just be making a noise for nothing.

Could also be something else...maybe your wheel bearings are shot. How many clicks overall on the car?
    Team Troll
    "Happy New Ear!" - Mike Tyson.

doug
    first off, you went to a dealer. that's like handing out a blank cheque.

turning a rotor doesn't reduce its life, it simply resurfaces it evenly to the thinnest point it's already at. if you are feeling a pulse, and they in fact did only resurface the rotors, one of them might not be trued, which means it could be near the end of service life and warped with heat anyways.

installing new brake pads and rotors is a fairly easy job to do on your own. a few tools and a jack, a few hours of time, and it's done for pennies on the dollar. worst case, go to a local jobber garage. you'll still pay far less than a dealer.

Takin it like a $10 Whore Array newbster_rider's Avatar
    Bike
    750Bitches!!
    As a former mechanic at MANY dealerships, dont feel that they are all that bad but most of them are. With all the gravel on the roads, you might have a piece of gravel or soemthing wedged in between the caliper or one of your pads. Try backing up and going forward a few times really hard. PLZ NOTE: DO NOT DO THIS IN TRAFFIC!

Also you can check how HARD the pads are gripping. If it is a 5 spd, let the clutch out slowly (No gas!) and see if the engine stalls or rolls nicely along. You could have a bad caliper or you might need some diagnosing on your master cylinder (BRAKES).

I can recommend going to some great locations if you want to get your car fixed.

West Koots, I'm here.... Array flyfishinwoman's Avatar
    Bike
    a few toys
    If you need a good place to get your vehicle serviced, I can recommend a place where I take my car, and it was recommended to me by my friends who take their car there as well. It's located in South Surrey, on 32nd Ave. near 152nd St. The name is "RSM".
    Back in BC, yay!!!
    2010 Yamaha Vstar 950
    250 Saga Dual-sport
    AC quad
    BCSB #712
    WMRC #747 (2005)

Bike
    Your mama...(late model)
    How many KM are on your front brakes? It is ok to resurface as long as it is within tolerances. The pulsing means that they are warped. The run-on the hub is a non-issue. If they wanna charge you big bucks PM me and I’ll do it for half the price. I used to work in the automotive industry as a mechanic for a decade. I still work on the side for pocket change and beer money.
    “……If a chick sits on your face and you can't hear the stereo anymore...she's too fat! --The Machinist.

Bike
    CBR600F4i SOLD!
    They should fix that up for you no charge but you'll have to hold it to em and make sure before they start workin on it.

and for future, I agree RSM does great work
    My Photo Gallery!

R.I.P. Danimal

Ridin hard n dirty Array Mr.Sushi ya ha's Avatar
    Bike
    bunch "o" bikes
    Grand am Front wheel drive??? possibly cv joint...but not likely.....but for a pulsing pedal it has to be warped rotors. Check to see if the calipers were overhauled. It isn't uncommon for them to just push the piston back in and throw new pads and rotors on. Could be that a caliper was sticking, prematurely wore out a pad, taking it down to bare metal, while it sticks it keeps slight pressure on the rotor, causing the rotor to overheat and warp, giving you that pulse.

do you notice excessive brake dust on one wheel (brown dust)...if so the above is the problem. They should warrenty the work.

Not to make you feel bad but pads cost $20-$40...rotors $50.00 aprox,..caliper kit $15... Seals $15 ish... Labor 1 hour a side tops,
    I used to do a front brake job in less than 1 hour...not o/h the calipers or repackin the bearings...$700 way too much even at a dealership...unless there is more work done than you know....dealership would be $300,..... Budget brake $89.00 just to change pads..but they always find a few more things to add...

Brake jobs should be done by a trustworthy shop, your life depends on them!!
    Last edited by Mr.Sushi ya ha; 01-11-2007 at 03:58 PM.
    Remembering Bill Mclean.
    Having had a colonoscopy......I have now seen where the sun don't shine......(Me)
    Cancer Sucks!!!

Bike
    SV track, VFR road
    What work is listed on your work order? $700 is big bucks for front brakes.
    "When in doubt accelerate.
    It may not help you avoid the problem,
    but it'll end the suspense."

WMRC #96 (retired)

Bike
    deceased
    Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    I feel like I should just prepare to bend over and take it from GM even after THe $700 I already spent. Any advice?
    If you're prepared to bend over, Slowzuki will do it for beer and a thumbjob!

Bike
    2005 CBR 600RR
    Why do you keep going to dealers?

$700 is about average price. Just take it back and they should fix it. Putting on brakes isn't exactly rocket science I'm sure it's a quick fix.

Bike
    could be wheel bearings and most mechanics, including the mechs at dealerships forget to lube the caliper piston.

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    Sililar thing happened to one of the girls in work lately - she had her rotors / pads replaced around the same time last year. Had to take them back last week cos of the same symptoms you had - don't know what the fix was but they charged parts only to fix ... 1/2 way there i guess

Get outta the fast lane!! Array westvan_dude's Avatar
    Bike
    04' Suzuki SV1000S, 01' BMW K1200LT, 94' Suzuki Intruder 1400
    A constant grinding noise might be a pebble caught in the caliper.

You can replace the pads perhaps once without doing the calipers but I usually get rebuilt calipers as well. Dirt and corrosion get between the caliper cylinder and piston that leads to binding and sticking of pads to rotors. Not good.

Very few modern vehicles these days can have rotors resurfaced as factory minimum thickness tolerance is very small. As well... resurfacing reduced the total heat-soaking ability of the rotor (less metal) so warping when it reoccurs will be worse than before. Also, resurfacing in my experience hardly ever corrects warped rotors and for a few extra dollars I just replace them. I used to have tons of problems with my F150's front rotors. Then I bought OE cross-drilled rotors for a few more dollars and my problems are gone.

Sometimes a caliper will bind and wear out a pad on one side of the car way more than the other and before you know it you're down to the metal. Brown dust on the wheel is the metal on metal action with tons of heat.

Many years ago I got done up the poop tube without lube by Midas. $1500 to fix the brakes on a 90' Ranger 4x4. Last time I had anyone else touch my vehicles. I do everything myself.

Unless you are completely technically-challenged to do your own repairs, in most cases even if you need specialty tools, they can be bought for less than what it costs for the job from a dealer.

One thing that does piss me off is incorrect parts from Lordco. Last brake job on a 2000 VW Jetta rear calipers was a pain.... the new copper brake line washers were too small. Nice fiddling with the brake lines with fluid dripping out while you find the friggin washer doesn't fit and you have to re-use the old one. Bastards. Those rear calipers were like $300+ for the pair. Crikey.

If you CV joints are going you'll know that if you decelerate or accelerate with the wheels turned sharp left or right. It'll be a clang-clang-clang sound.

Bike
    Your mama...(late model)
    Quote Originally Posted by kuldip View Post
    could be wheel bearings and most mechanics, including the mechs at dealerships forget to lube the caliper piston.
    Caliper piston? Don't you mean slide pin? The caliper piston is what brake fluid pushes out....
    “……If a chick sits on your face and you can't hear the stereo anymore...she's too fat! --The Machinist.