Interesting Stats Of Motorcycle Fatalities in the US from 1990 to 1999
http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-Safety/crash.htm << (Fixed Link for the 2001 full report)
The riding season is just around the corner and i thought it might be good for people to be aware of what to look out for...
Not trying to scare anyone at all... However, if you know the numbers you may be more carefull in certain situations.. or not... lol...
My 2 cents for today.
Last edited by greenlyph; 01-31-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Reason: Link error
Summary findings from the FARS (Fatality Analysis Reporting System) data illustrate possible reasons for motorcyclist fatalities in single vehicle motorcycle crashes:
* Helmet use among fatally injured motorcyclists below 50 percent
* More motorcyclist fatalities are occurring on rural roads
* High blood alcohol levels are a major problem among motorcycle operators
* Half of the fatalities are related to negotiating a curve prior to the crash
* Over 80 percent of the fatalities occur off roadway
* Undivided roadways account for a majority of the fatalities
* Almost two thirds of the fatalities were associated with speeding as an operator contributing factor in the crash
* Almost 60 percent of motorcyclist fatalities occur at night
* Collision with a fixed object is a significant factor in over half of the fatalities
* Braking and steering maneuvers possibly contribute for almost 25 percent of the fatalities
* More riders age 40 and over are getting killed
* Almost one third of the fatally injured operators did not have a proper license
Flieger sind Sieger!
There you go, plenty of candidates for a Darwin Award in that group...
Sounds like a whole bunch of people we're better off not having on the road.
Originally Posted by Simple
If there were no motorcycles, these people would have been doing stupid shit in a cager instead, where they can put other people in more danger.
Many of them, I'm sure, were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, and for them I have sympathy. For the squids that got themselves killed because they were stupid, I say: Good riddance.
Not to say that these figures are without merit. That looks like a pretty good list of "don't dos" to me.