BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Move over piaggio mp3, get a load of this

3K views 41 replies 17 participants last post by  mcrides 
#1 ·
I wander how this would go over in snow with knoblies

article link

#7 ·
Does it come with a "LOSER" badge or do I have to buy that separate. What a pos of a machine. I don't get the point of a 3 wheel anything unless you are disabled and can't ride a normal motorcycle. So it's look like a snowmobile on wheelies, so what!!!

#14 ·
First time I have seen such a beast. Think it is brilliant in terms of timing. The auto industry is ripe for change. The buyers/users want it but the industry doesn't. This fills a void in the market, is sexy and is an good extrapolation of existing technology. Be interesting to see how much marketing and advertising muscle this company has. I think it has good potential.

#15 ·
Bombardier is Canada's largest transportation company from snowmobiles to trains to aircraft and almost everything in between. This is their only consumer oriented road legal vehicle, so I'd think they've got a lot 'riding' (sorry) on this product.

Here's a vehicle that will take up less room on the road, be easier to park, easier on fuel than a full size car, has storage and is versatile for a variety of functions and looks fun as hell. 3 wheelers are good answer to the endless streams of big ass cars with only a single driver clogging up freeways.

Just wait until something like this comes with a trunk and a roof with climate controls and you'll watch the face of everyday transportation change entirely.

#19 ·
Here's a vehicle that will take up less room on the road, be easier to park, easier on fuel than a full size car, has storage and is versatile for a variety of functions and looks fun as hell. 3 wheelers are good answer to the endless streams of big ass cars with only a single driver clogging up freeways.

Just wait until something like this comes with a trunk and a roof with climate controls and you'll watch the face of everyday transportation change entirely.
Sorry, Tat. If the things you mentioned (less room on the road, easier to park, fuel efficiency, etc.) were important to North Americans, we wouldn't see nearly as many SUVs and minivans on the road. And you're forgetting the single most important thing with this 3-wheeler -- it is an open air vehicle with no roof. How do you expect North Americans to survive with the vehicle in the winter?

And Japan already has these diminutive vehicles all over the place. They're called K-cars. Ever wonder why don't they sell them here in North America?

-Rick

#18 ·
and ur supposed to pick up chicks how on this thing??? no im just kidding, it does look pretty interesting, they say their tarket market is 35-40 year old males, but i can garantee the younger crowd will get into it soon enough, and the next thing u will see is, one of these 3 wheeled things with spinning rims, and hydros, followed by chrome chrome and more chrome, god dam i have sick visions of gangers on these things, and those dam spinning rims. also motorcycling involves skill... does it require skill to drive.. maybe but much much much less... dont ya think?

#21 ·
god dam i have sick visions of gangers on these things, and those dam spinning rims.

Now that is funny!

Sorry, Tat. If the things you mentioned (less room on the road, easier to park, fuel efficiency, etc.) were important to North Americans, we wouldn't see nearly as many SUVs and minivans on the road.
Marketing can take care that. Lifestyle products like cars, alcohol and smokes all have one thing in common: huge advertising budgets to coerce people into feeling they need that product. They appeal to the basest of parts of us: primordial desire and ego. Watch any big budget commercial for a lifestyle driven product and look at how they appeal to the consumer. Advertising can convince people of most anyone when done correctly. Cynical you say?!

And you're forgetting the single most important thing with this 3-wheeler -- it is an open air vehicle with no roof. How do you expect North Americans to survive with the vehicle in the winter?
True. Very true. If Bombardier is appealing to the 35 to 45 year old male I think they have it wrong. This vehicle makes sense for a career woman in California who wants an excuse to put a vibrating rocket between her legs when she is going to Trader Joe's to pick up some Guacamole, Tortilla Chips and Two Buck Chuck.

Case in point. Smart Cars have been in Europe for over a decade. They come over here and they take off but only a few years ago. Why? They knew the market wasn't ready for the product. The marketplace has changed dramatically over the past ten years since SUV's took off. Advertising, good advertising, keeps the aura up so people continue to buy them. There is a significant part of the market that will not buy an SUV. They will go after a small segment of that market.

Subaru targeted the lesbian market in California through their advertising to buy their cars and has succeeded in making it a statement vehicle for them (no cheap statements please). Advertising is powerful and can sway people to buy things they otherwise wouldn't consider.

G
#22 ·
I like it. I think it's a nice alternative for a street legal recreational vehicle for those who are intimidated by being on 2 wheels. You certainly can't drop one of these so weight and leaning around corners isn't much of an issue. Automatic transmission is a nice touch also. I think my gf would love one of these. I'd like if she had one so we could go on more long distance ride's together. Her on the trike, me on the the bike. works for me. PLus, she can carry all the gear. :)

#28 ·
Interesting website content wise. Its got a vtwin a la RC51 and a not a cruiser one (or at least it appears that way). Although the engine tops out at 107 HP with 77 ft lbs of torque. I could see people from Sunshine Coast and Bowen using these for commuting vehicles. Smart Cars are the de rigeur for the commuting crowd right now but I could see how more than a few people would buy if the ferry fare was at the motorcycle rate.

Bombardier is only touring these at Ski-doo trade shows this spring (in the Prairies) but they do intend to roll them out in BC this fall. I would suspect they would be at Bombardier licensed dealerships. $18,000 though. This is a problem if they want a serious chunk of the motorcycle market. $14,999 should be the ceiling for these things.

#29 ·
I dunno. I think that Bombardier is aiming at the same target market that Duc and BMW is appealing to, where $18.9K is a mid-range price.

It's a boutique motorcycle / snowmobile thingie.

Did you see the list of factory accessories? That's where they'll getchya.

G
#42 ·
this thing is heavily reminiscent of the old T-Rex from Campagna, but without the upper framework.
They both have 3 wheels but that's about all they share. The T-Rex is way cool but uses a motorcycle base to create a 3 wheel sports car concept.

The Can-Am Spyder is very much motorcycle based and, leaning aside, should offer motorcycle sensations when riding it.

BRP Can-Am Spyder First Look

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
CBR929
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides

#31 ·
I know what you are saying in terms of how they are placing in the price range.

My thoughts are the *ought to* place it or at least a model or two in the $14,999 to $15,999 range. It opens up a much larger market as well if the price spread is so small in relation to say a Toyota Yarus (aka Echo) or a Smart Car then people who are looking at is as a commuter vehicle will be less likely to consider it.

The potential market is so large with boomers new found interest in bikes and now with the media's new found obsession with global warming that a slight shift in this markets attention could garner them a runaway success in terms of sheer volume they would sell. $18,000+ is boutique $15,000 is no so much.

If people are going to consider a radical shift in their driving habits giving up SUV's or even their luxury cars for gas sipping vehicles part of the argument when buying their next vehicle(s) could be "Well you know dear we could get both a Smart Car and a Spyder?" Both under the cost of a tarted up SUV and they have a couple of fun vehicles out of the deal while being politically correct.

EDIT:

I see Adam (after re-reading your post) you used the boutique concept as well. Yes we agree but I think they should down market to grab what I would think would be many more sales.

#32 ·
I'm actually surprised that they could get it in under $20K CAD, as I'd imagine that their production run is quite small.

I'm pretty sure that you'll see the price come down a bit if it starts to sell well and volume of production gets ramped up.

#34 ·
Well, sometime you take a hit on initial production to properly introduce the product, and then if it gets popular you jack up the price.

The more i see of this thing the more i like it. I may just get rid of my car and get this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.