Trouble starting bike
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trouble starting bike

Registered User Array
    Bike
    600RR '04

Trouble starting bike

Hi guys,

Having trouble starting my bike, wondering if anyone can give me a hand.

- Stored my bike since the end of Nov.
    - Did a oil change, full wash/wax, and topped up gas tank and added stabilizer b4 putting it away
    - just started the bike (sucessfully) 3 weeks ago for a few secs to test the battery.
    - charged the battery full with trickle charger and tried it today but no luck.

Double checked that kill switch is working, clutch in, kickstand up and in neutral.

i've tried holding the starter for a while but no luck.
    then tried starting it with a little gas, but no luck.
    let it sit for a bit, then tried again no luck =( don't really hear the engine catching at all.
    *edit* Tried again, can hear the starter turnin as usual, tho the engine did slightly catch as if it was gonna start but then nothing. Maybe engine is flooded? (can this happen from constantly trying to start it with no luck?)

any idea guys? if u need any more info let me know.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Keiichi; 02-09-2007 at 04:00 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    the engine won't turn at all?
    lights and everything come on?
    you weren't making some goofy mistake like trying to start it in first with the clutch out? the handle bar kill switch was in run position?
    what kind of bike is it?
    perhaps make sure it's in neutral, flip the kickstand up, and work the clutch in and out to make sure none the kill switches are acting up.
    Some people are like Slinkies ...
    Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President

Becoming Insane Array CorvetteBoy's Avatar
    Bike
    Nagasaki XXRR
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiichi View Post
    Hi guys,

Having trouble starting my bike, wondering if anyone can give me a hand.

- Stored my bike since the end of Nov.
    - Did a oil change, full wash/wax, and topped up gas tank and added stabilizer b4 putting it away
    - just started the bike (sucessfully) 3 weeks ago for a few secs to test the battery.
    - charged the battery full with trickle charger and tried it today but no luck.

i've tried holding the starter for a while but no luck.
    then tried starting it with a little gas, but no luck.
    let it sit for a bit, then tried again no luck =( don't really hear the engine catching at all.

any idea guys? if u need any more info let me know.

Thanks!
    You don't mention putting the key in. Remember, first things first!

Super Addict Array
    Bike
    Got One!
    If the starter is spinning but not catching try giving it a quick rap with a hammer on the end of the starter to see if you can free up the bendix gear.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    600RR '04
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    the engine won't turn at all?
    lights and everything come on?
    you weren't making some goofy mistake like trying to start it in first with the clutch out? the handle bar kill switch was in run position?
    what kind of bike is it?
    perhaps make sure it's in neutral, flip the kickstand up, and work the clutch in and out to make sure none the kill switches are acting up.
    alrite tried some more, tired with kickstand up, clutch in and double check its in neutral. Pretty much same thing. Though holding the starter for a while, i did hear the engine slightly catch when the starter was turning... but then no luck. Maybe engine is flooded? (can this happen from constantly trying to start it with no luck?) And yep the kill switch is workin cuz i can hear the FI.

BTW my bike is a CBR 600rr '04
    Last edited by Keiichi; 02-09-2007 at 03:58 PM.

Bike
    Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    If the bike has carbs and you've been holding the throttle open yes it will flood. but the engine will be turning.
    againt the engine isn't turning at all?
    Check you battery connections, you never answered if you're getting juice. work the clutch in and out when you're pressing the starter button, i need to do this on my track bike to get it started sometimes.
    Try tapping the starter relay.
    sometimes pushing it a little in first and then popping the clutch frees up the starter or the clutch if it's sticking.
    you don't need to hold the starter button on.
    Some people are like Slinkies ...
    Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President

Registered User Array
    Bike
    600RR '04
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    If the bike has carbs and you've been holding the throttle open yes it will flood. but the engine will be turning.
    againt the engine isn't turning at all?
    Check you battery connections, you never answered if you're getting juice. work the clutch in and out when you're pressing the starter button, i need to do this on my track bike to get it started sometimes.
    Try tapping the starter relay.
    sometimes pushing it a little in first and then popping the clutch frees up the starter or the clutch if it's sticking.
    you don't need to hold the starter button on.

oh sorry i wasn't clear enough, perhaps using the wrong terminology as well.

The battery is workin, lights all working. Starter is turning when i click the button. i'll try moving it a little maybe that'll work.

Btw its a CBR 600rr '04

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    When my F4i was getting work done on it, it was switched on and off a lot with the kill switch set to on. The fuel pump priming every single time caused some sort of build up which took ages of cranking to get rid of. It finally worked though. Has it been switched off and on a lot between starts?
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    600RR '04
    Quote Originally Posted by SkydiveSonic View Post
    When my F4i was getting work done on it, it was switched on and off a lot with the kill switch set to on. The fuel pump priming every single time caused some sort of build up which took ages of cranking to get rid of. It finally worked though. Has it been switched off and on a lot between starts?
    hmm thats a possibility, cuz every time i turn the bike on the FI will start pumpin the gas.

the starter kept cranking, but nothign yet. Ended up draining the battery =(

Btw thanks everyone so far for the input so far ^^

Super Addict Array
    Bike
    Got One!
    Is the engine turning over or is the starter just spinning wildl,y. Also if you hold the starter in and it starts to catch you will strip teeth off the starter if it catches and then continues to spin, so that is not a good idea.

Rock the bike back and forth, pull the plug out and crank it to see if raw fuel pumps out the open sparkplug hole when you crank. If nothing happens either the motor is not turning over or you are not over fueled.

I still say give the starter a quick rap on the end with a hammer, not hard enough to break anything, but just hard enough to loosen up the armature so the bendix gear catches and turns the engine over

Registered User Array
    Bike
    600RR '04
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!! IT LIVES!!!!! I think the engine was flooded, tried it again with the throttle on full and held the starter for a few seconds and boom! all good

Thanks everyone for the help! I can get out there on the road now W00t!

Bike
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by *T90* View Post
    If the starter is spinning but not catching try giving it a quick rap with a hammer on the end of the starter to see if you can free up the bendix gear.
    Only cars and Harley's have bendix arrangement, most Japanese bikes like 98% have a direct drive starter and a one way clutch arrangement (starter clutch) just to clarify..........

Super Addict Array
    Bike
    Got One!
    Ahh ok, thanks for the clarification, I wasnt sure if they were similar or not.

Eh Muh Gawd Becky!! Array Purplekawi's Avatar
    Bike
    somethin somethin somethin
    Quote Originally Posted by SkydiveSonic View Post
    did the same thing on my Gixxer when i was wiring in my undertail and then went to start it. boy did that take abit of trying. eventually ran though.
    That that doesn't kill us forces us to live with a busted up bike!!

Riding in the rain Array r_i_n_g's Avatar
    Bike
    R6
    that's actually my biggest fear for bikes. Don't know if it's gonna start the next time....