BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Machine Shop Recomendation

3K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  bacchus40 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a machine shop in the Vancouver area to bore a cylinder block, I do know of a few but would apreciate any recomendations or for that matter warnings.

This is for a oil cooled GSXR 1127 block, bored to 81mm for Turbo pistons.

thank you.

#3 ·
being a machinist myself, you should be very weary of where you take it. Not all shops will have the proper tools to bore cylinders. I have used mongoose twice before and everytime my cylinders come back absolutly perfect. mongoose can also plate the bore with nikasil, or whatever else it requires. they also weld any damage.

#5 ·
+10000 for Mongoose. They've done my YSR and pretty much most shops send that kind of work their way.

And they can do nitride coatings and balance cranks.

#6 ·
As far as I know same guy there...I use them always...only takes once somewhere else and your cylinder is hooped...I know most shops in the lower mainland use them....$7.00 to have it shipped from anywhere to them using greyhound...

#11 ·
I got my overbore done at Fraser Valley Engine & Machine. They specialize in automotive and are very good at it but apparently they also do some motorcycle work, he had no problems doing mine. It's in Abbotsford, which is the main reason I used them...I guess it's probably not worth it for you to go there if you're in East Van.

#14 ·
hey,

I work for Pacific Yamaha and we have all of our machine work done at mongoose. They do single cylinder, twin cylinder, tri-cylinder and 4 cylinder work for us. 2 stroke, 4stroke, atv, watercraft, motorcycle. Doesn't matter, they do it all. We have not had any problems with any of their work

Matt

#17 ·
I am revisiting this old thread as I have recently come across a smoking deal on hot cams., get it? LOL

i've got GRAVES CAMSHAFTS coming for my 2009 R1 and I figured instead of doing a basic valve check I may as well do the whole lot at the same time.

I will require head-work, just simple cleanup and surfacing along with valve work and I do not want it to keep the bike off the road for a couple of months.

I would appreciate any recent experience with local shops, i got Mongoose's pamphlet while at the show and it says they are fully authorized YAMAHA MACHINE SHOP & ENGINE PARTS SUPPLIER.

It would seem they would be ideal to handle my Xplanker :coffee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.