SB5544: An end to motarding in WA State?
To all motarders and motorcycle riding enthusiasts in WA state only: I will attempt to make this as short and sweet as I can.
There is currently a Senate Bill (5544) being considered VERY SERIOUSLY by legislators that will make illegal - in WA state only - riding and racing offroad motorcycles AND even street bikes on paved tracks . This will include motarding. If passed, this bill will put Pacific Raceways, motocross tracks, supermotard, the new NASCAR facility, track day companies, and WMRRA out of business... all will be done. If you think this is in question, then note the comments of Jason Fiorito, owner of Pacific Raceways, on 710 KIRO this morning. He said if this bill passes, PACIFIC RACEWAYS WILL BE PUT OUT OF BUSINESS. This bill is not just against offroad motorcycles, according to representatives of CLOUT and WOHVA: it will apply to all virtually any machinery (ie. cars, snowmobiles, 4 wheelers) operating on anything other than public roads. Think your private track on your own land is safe? Wrong: even private land is included in the bill. Dirtbikes, track days, motocross, snowmobiliing, four wheeling, dune buggies, motarding... the representatives I have been in touch with today say all are at risk if the Sierra Club, WTA, and the liberal politicians we somehow put in office get their way with SB5544. And right now... they're on a path to getting this thing done in an effort to accomodate the environmentalists, their money and their votes.
If ever there was a time to be proactive folks, to not let others do the work, to not make the excuse that you're too busy, it is now. This is VERY, VERY SERIOUS according to many in the know. So there are several things each of us needs to do, and do now. Do not delay. They are:
1. Spread the news. Tell your riding buddies, and then tell them to tell their buddies. And then make sure everyone ACTS. Email this news to as many people as you can. If you post or belong to other forums, make this known: post this same information and get the word out fast.
2. Read this article, courtesy of Sound Rider: http://soundrider.com/current/sb5544.htm. By the way, several OHV representatives contacted the offices of Kline today to see if he actually wrote the email, and he personally told them "yes, I did." Stunning. This guy has waved his middle finger at the motorcycle riding community... which is you.
3. Write your senator and legislators telling them that SB 5544 must be stopped, that it is blatant discrimination against motorcyclists and OHV'ers, and you won't stand for it. Put "Con SB 5544" in the subject line, and tell them you want to be contacted on the matter. Be courteous, but be firm. Make your voice heard. Here's how: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/Default.aspx. This step takes maybe two minutes, and it is the most important of any of these.
4. Attend the March 9, 2007 OHV Rally in Olympia at noon. Be there: don't make excuses. You need to attend. And your friends. And your kids.
5. Get yourself and your PRO-OHV friends to send an email to email@example.com with "CLOUT" in the subject line along with their name, their voting zip code AND your name as a reference. This will get you and your friends signed up to receive email alerts on this matter, and that's all there is to it. Get them to do this TODAY so motorized recreation will have a stronger voice in Olympia: we're a whisper compared to the yelling of environmentalists. They're winning folks: the spotted owls are more important than you.
We're in serious trouble: the environmentalist lobby, their dollars, and the volume level of environmentalist voices is much larger than ours, and politicians are acting on their wishes. If you do #1 through 5 above, we might have a chance.
Please don't reply saying I'm full of it, that the bill doesn't apply to motarding and sportbike track days and so forth: attorneys today confirmed that it likely does apply if the current wording of SB5544 is not ammended. That's why Fiorito was on the radio: he's scared of what this will do to his entire facility and ALL his tracks, not just the motocross track. Furthermore, they said that the bill is targeting all motorcyclists not riding street legal bikes and was written by someone who knows what they're doing.
Co-Owner, Lead Instructor
2Fast Motorcycle Track Days & Instruction