violation ticket

Thread: violation ticket

K6 Gsx_r 750

violation ticket

Today as i was riding on granville to my gf's place for dinner, i turned left at a yellow to red light @ the king edward intersection. I was pulled over by a cop after and he flagged me for running a red light at intersection. Obviously i haf no witness but could anyone tell me if the cameras on the corners are operational or they are out of order already? i am thinkin of disputing anyhow.

Let me know your inputs.

2. Remove Advertisements

Crotch Rocket Scientist Array penumbra604's Avatar
    2001 Yamaha FZ1
    There are only camera boxes at almost 100 intersections in Vancouver (as far as I recall) but there aren't that many cameras so they move them around. SENSE lists 18 locations that actually have cameras as they know but they're not 100% accurate. They don't list a camera at that location.

Is there even a camera box at Granville and King Edward? It wouldn't prove you were in the right anyway. The camera errs on the side of the driver - you have to enter the intersection on the red to get a red light cam ticket.

The police can decide that you could have slowed down and stopped but chose to run the yellow instead.

The MVA says " the driver of a vehicle approaching the intersection and facing the yellow light must cause it to stop before entering the marked crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if there is no marked crosswalk, before entering the intersection, unless the stop cannot be made in safety," so if you didn't even try to stop and could have as far as the officer was concerned, you would be ticketed.

Good luck with your dispute.

sense website:

2001 Black Yamaha FZ1

Langley, BC
    None right now...
    As penumbra604 points out, it's legal to enter an intersection on a yellow, to turn or to go through, provided you couldn't have stopped safely otherwise.

You're on an '03 RR, and have been a member here since June '04. Three years on a bike should be enough to know it's stopping characteristics, so you *may* be able to argue that you judged that stopping safely wasn't possible.

Still, if the officer shows up he will hold up his double-digit years on traffic patrol as his experience in judging whether cars/bikes could stop at yellow lights or not. It will come down to who is more believable.
    My Picasa Album

Registered User Array Silent Scream's Avatar
    EX500 - SOLD
    Was there another vehicle behind you? If so, you can claim that you felt if you had stopped on the yellow the driver behind you, who was traveling much to close to your back tire, would have rear ended you.
    In the whole wide world, there's no magic place... so you might as well rise. Put on your bravest face.

Fuelled by rice Array racerboy88's Avatar
    lower mainland
    if it was a cop that pulled you over, then you are screwed. As far as I'm aware, it's just as serious to run a yellow as it is for a red.
    02 R1- stolen Nov 24/02

Hang Thieves

Out there
    Fast and Shiny
    I have always used the excuse of having a tailgater behind me but will agree with them that yes, I could have stopped safely -IF- there wasn't some cager behind me endangering my life. Generally not an excuse really. More truth.

Squirt! Array
    2002 Monster
    How can a traffic cop possibly know what your level of experience and comfort on a bike is? Because of the way the act is worded you have a ton of wiggle room. Dispute the ticket for sure, then be prepared to argue why you didn't feel you could have stopped safely. Just because the bike is capable of stopping from xx speed in xx number of feet doesn't mean that you nessecairily had the confidence at the time to do it. It's kidna early in the season isn't it? When did you ride last? Grabbing too much brake and dumping your bike in an intersection isn't anyone's definition of safe.

I'd say that if you spend a little time on this, you can easily get off.