ATTENTION Dog and Cat owners - food recall

Thread: ATTENTION Dog and Cat owners - food recall

Bike
    2K9 ZX-6R

Exclamation ATTENTION Dog and Cat owners - food recall

A large manufacturer of pet foods has issued a recall on many lines of product. See here for details - http://www.menufoods.com/recall/

Some reported cases of dog deaths a few days after ingesting, as a result of kidney failure. Menu Foods blame a batch of bad wheat gluten.
    Your Anguish Sustains Me

Bike
    yz250f
    thanks for the info, I just checked and we're all good

Bike
    Yes
    Thanks for posting. Scary shit

Registered User Array kamen rider's Avatar
    Bike
    Honda
    Well.... that explains why I have been so sick lately.

Registered User Array SpideRider's Avatar
    Bike
    One of the few times I'm glad I pay $65 a bag for food. It's not on their list.
    Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield
    -----
    Sparring speed is a matter of simple physics:
    The height of your flight is inversely proportionate to the mass of your ass.

West Koots, I'm here.... Array flyfishinwoman's Avatar
    Bike
    a few toys
    I believe most of the food that was in question is the "meat cuts and gravy" wet food type.

I don't buy any food with "wheat gluten" in it anyway, many dogs have sensitivity to it, mine included.
    Back in BC, yay!!!
    2010 Yamaha Vstar 950
    250 Saga Dual-sport
    AC quad
    BCSB #712
    WMRC #747 (2005)

Registered User Array SpideRider's Avatar
    Bike
    Mine too, Janet, that's why I have to buy the expensive stuff. It's called First Choice and sells at Petcetera for $57 a bag plus tax. Ouch. The dog eats better than me, I swear.
    Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield
    -----
    Sparring speed is a matter of simple physics:
    The height of your flight is inversely proportionate to the mass of your ass.

West Koots, I'm here.... Array flyfishinwoman's Avatar
    Bike
    a few toys
    Quote Originally Posted by SpideRider View Post
    Mine too, Janet, that's why I have to buy the expensive stuff. It's called First Choice and sells at Petcetera for $57 a bag plus tax. Ouch. The dog eats better than me, I swear.
    My dog has sensitivity to poultry and grains. I've tried all the super premium foods that are moderate protein and lower calcium for large breed puppies, because she has a touch of pano in her front left leg. Right now I'm feeding "Go Natural" salmon and oat, and it seems to be working.

IMO, a premium food that does not incorporate grains/grain derivatives like wheat gluten (I think they are fillers) costs more to buy but you feed less and clean up less, and have a more healthy pet.
    Back in BC, yay!!!
    2010 Yamaha Vstar 950
    250 Saga Dual-sport
    AC quad
    BCSB #712
    WMRC #747 (2005)

Bike
    1200 RT
    Wheat and beef fat gave my old Lhasa Apso terrible skin troubles...poor guy scratched like crazy until a vet pointed it out.

What we play is life. Array RiceRocket's Avatar
    Bike
    '02 Honda VFR
    Quote Originally Posted by SpideRider View Post
    The Innova brand, which I buy at Tisol, is pretty good also and just as expensive.

What's the price of unconditional love? You gotta love dogs!

Registered User Array Silent Scream's Avatar
    Bike
    EX500 - SOLD
    Quote Originally Posted by RiceRocket View Post
    The Innova brand, which I buy at Tisol, is pretty good also and just as expensive.

What's the price of unconditional love? You gotta love dogs!
    That's what I started my dog on as a pup, but it was giving him really dry skin.

Now he gets California Natural (from Tisol) which he absolutely loves! Although his last bag came with a free can of the wet food... and ever since he had a taste, he hasn't seemed as interested in his food without it.
    In the whole wide world, there's no magic place... so you might as well rise. Put on your bravest face.

Bike
    pedal commuter & gixxer
    I try not to eat processed food myself and I have stopped feeding it to my dog.
    If your cooking something, it is not much trouble to make a little extra for your dog.

What we play is life. Array RiceRocket's Avatar
    Bike
    '02 Honda VFR
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    That's what I started my dog on as a pup, but it was giving him really dry skin.

Now he gets California Natural (from Tisol) which he absolutely loves! Although his last bag came with a free can of the wet food... and ever since he had a taste, he hasn't seemed as interested in his food without it.
    California Natural is from same manufacturer, just a different line. They've got this comparison wizard to compare their products against others http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=comp-wiz

Bike
    2K9 ZX-6R
    My bitch used to eat Innova and California Natural - both really high quality food, but too rich for her digestive system. I tried a brand called Eagle, but that caused her skin to break out in hives. Turns out Amstaffs (and most other dogs) are allergic to corn and soy products. You really have to read the ingredients and spend the money on good food, it's much cheaper than vet bills and poor health in the long run.

She has been doing really well on Canidae Lamb and rice - lots of protein per serving. http://www.tisol.ca/content/pet_food...anidae_felidae The vet is really amazed how healthy she is after delivering 9 puppies.
    Your Anguish Sustains Me