BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Bending a rear-stand to be narrower???

1K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  rivan 
#1 ·
Okay, I bought this race-bike, but it came with no rear-stand. I thought, no problem, I've got a couple sitting at home.

So I brought the bike home, and realized that my (spool type) rear-stand was too wide for this SV650S. The stand was last used for my old ZX-6R. I vaguely recall the stand being slightly too narrow for the 6R, and I think I bent it out a bit at that time...but I could be mistaken.

Anyway, since then, the bike has been sitting on my dad's adjustable rear stand. I hate those things, they seem so unstable. Plus my dad will need it from time to time to his own bike work.

So I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on how to bend this stand to make it a bit narrower. I tried doing it with my arms (haha, that got no where). I put it on its side, and jumped up and down on it...that may have made a small impact, but not enough. I looped some rope around the ends, and wound it together with stick in between (for leverage). The rope eventually snapped, and the procedure had no lasting impact on the stand. So what do I do now?

It's just aluminum, right? I would think that would be fairly easy to bend. And like I said, I think I remember bending it out (with just my arms) for the 6R. Mind you, that was in like 2002...so the metals maybe more 'mature' now. I don't know...I just made that up. :p

BTW - it's an Anaconda rear-stand, one of these:
(sorry about the giant picture)

See less See more
#2 ·
apparently its really tough stuff. all my previous stands i have adjustable width wise by your first method of attempt. set it on it's side and stood on it. i'd sudgest heating up the end of the loop but then you'll probably discolour it. mebbe try getting 2 people to stand on it.

#3 ·
yeah those are pretty tough. The only other thing I can think of is getting creative with a solid object and vehicle or something but that's going to be rather tricky..lol

#4 ·
I got some and even the guy that makes them either sits/steps on them to close the size or stands on the bottom and pull on the top...thats why it's bent in a hoop ...for adjusability...it takes a bit to bend it but it does...

#6 ·
Fuck Harps! What you you weigh, 90 lbs.???? Sit on it!

#7 ·
God damn it Harps. Go to your favourite metreosexual hangout round up the gang for a wine sprirtzer and manicure party and maybe buy some white gloves...........Aww Forget it, I'll send Holly over to bend it for you maybe she can open some jars for you while she's there.

#8 ·
:laughing

Thanks Bill. May as well send Dakar, he might have a better shot it than I do.

Seriously, I was jumping up and down on this thing (and bailed once, smoking my head on the garage door :laughing) but it would barely budge.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll try heating it up and see if that makes a difference. Bafflebrain, I use to have an old set of ratcheting tie-downs, they were really shitty so I may have tossed them out. I'll see if I still have them around, because that might work.

Bill - if you honestly have some advice, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I'll come by your shop and accept your challenge...see if you can bend this thing with one hand, while changing spark plugs with the other. I'll even bring you a box of wine for your troubles.

#9 ·
Damm how much do you weigh??/if you are trying to close the ends and you only weigh 87lbs then use leverage......a long timber and put one end under a car and the stand a little ways from the car and bend away....if you want to be more creative get a jack and find a strcture that the stand and jack will fit under and make like a press...if you need to make up some distance use a timber cut to length and jack off...err umm away....do not heat it!!!!you will only make it hot and mad....if you over heat it it will become tooo soft ....

oh ...and if you thought bonking you head hurt wait until that stand flys up and hits you in the chops...be carefull it's like a big spring...

#12 ·
I weight 155 lbs...so I'm no monster, but not a little schoolgirl either.

Bill, I've bent it maybe 1/2" from my efforts. I need to bend it another 1-1/2" or 2" to make it fit the spools.

Pete PMed me, said he could help. He lives not too far from my parents (where the bike and stand are) so I'm gonna drop by his place when he has some time.

#13 ·
The problem is that BF designed it and he factored in someone of HIS weight being the bending force. Harps, you don't have a snowball's chance in hell of bending that at your weight... :evilgrin.

And you're going to get Pete to help out? Maybe if you both hugged and jumped together it may work..... :evilgrin :evilgrin

Damn, this is a funny thread..... :roflmao

PS: and next time make your picture smaller so we don't need to side scroll ! ! ! ! !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.