flames out the exhaust??
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: flames out the exhaust??

Registered User Array chasebaciles's Avatar
    Bike
    CBR 600 RR

flames out the exhaust??

I seem to post on here often, just realized that. Anyway, quick problem. I started my bike (97 zx9r) once in a while inthe morning, same ole thing. This morning, ran out of gas so tonight, I filled it up with some Chevron Supreme with more techron, the highest octane. Anyway, I started her up and popping noises starts coming out of the exhaust when I revv the engine at around 6rpm. Pop Pop Pop and I revvd it at around 11 and actually saw a bit of blue flame come out of the exhaust...?? That has never happened before and I was wondering if it's the gas bc there's nothing else I changed..

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

oulton6
    interesting, problem..
    it's possible that one of your spark plugs has died, and one cylinder is letting unburn't fuel into the exhaust pipe, then it's igniting from the heat..
    higher octane fuel has a longer burn time and it maybe possible that it's still burning as it's going past the exhaust valve,,which would be hard on the valves,,it's also possible that your pulse coil is acting up as well..
    quick fix is to drain the fuel, add reg gas, change the spark plugs, check the spark plug connection at the wire..

Crotch Rocket Scientist Array penumbra604's Avatar
    Bike
    2001 Yamaha FZ1
    A lot of people use higher octane when they don't need to - are you sure you need to use high octane fuel? If you don't need it, you shouldn't use it - it's not 'higher grade' - it just costs more and is less likely to pre-ignite in engines designed to use it.

Search the board for more info if you're curious - there are some awesome threads on high-octane vs. regular fuel. If your bike actually needs it, then please disregard this post - I just see a lot of people throwing money away so they can use the 'higher quality' fuel.
    2001 Black Yamaha FZ1

Bike
    deceased
    Perhaps it's not the fuel at all, have you revved your engine up to eleventy billion before with the regular fuel? Maybe it does the same thing regardless of fuel type.

One Lump Sum Array
    Bike
    1997 GSX-R 600
    91 octane was recommended from the factory, so running 94 isn't a huge stretch. I got flames out the exhaust once revving it before it warmed up, never did it again though. I dunno...
    1997 GSX-R 600 (high k's and missing bolts here and there)

Bike
    CBR 600 RR
    Started her up again tonight, no popping noises nor flames. Bike seems fine now. How odd, but I think Ill stay at 89 octane from now on. Cheaper too. Thanks for all the help guys!

Bike
    05 Monster S2R
    Stop running your bike outa gas! !!

Bike
    2001 YZF-R6
    Quote Originally Posted by npausch View Post
    Stop running your bike outa gas! !!
    GOOD POINT!

Bike
    05 Monster S2R
    yea man the GAs acts as a cooling agent and lubrication for certain parts of the engine, (lubes the fuel pump) and as the fuel leans out in the combustion chamber your engine runs hotter and hotter and hotter then starts to backfire and can burn out ur plugs and ruin other parts of the engine as well...

all in all VERY BAD for the engine...

Bike
    CBR 600 RR
    Bike is uninsured ., I start her up now and then. Can't exactly take a trip to the gas station for a fill if you know what I mean.

no longer a hooligan Array holeshot's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 cbr 600 f4i
    Quote Originally Posted by chasebaciles View Post
    Bike is uninsured ., I start her up now and then. Can't exactly take a trip to the gas station for a fill if you know what I mean.
    y not, insure it. it's nice out

Bike
    Your mama...(late model)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasebaciles View Post
    I seem to post on here often, just realized that. Anyway, quick problem. I started my bike (97 zx9r) once in a while inthe morning, same ole thing. This morning, ran out of gas so tonight, I filled it up with some Chevron Supreme with more techron, the highest octane. Anyway, I started her up and popping noises starts coming out of the exhaust when I revv the engine at around 6rpm. Pop Pop Pop and I revvd it at around 11 and actually saw a bit of blue flame come out of the exhaust...?? That has never happened before and I was wondering if it's the gas bc there's nothing else I changed..

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    THAT'S FUCKING AWESOME!
    “……If a chick sits on your face and you can't hear the stereo anymore...she's too fat! --The Machinist.

Bike
    Your mama...(late model)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    eleventy billion .
    HAHAHAHA!
    “……If a chick sits on your face and you can't hear the stereo anymore...she's too fat! --The Machinist.

Bike
    CBR 600 RR
    Yupp, I will be insuring her soon. It's still raining now and then.

Bike
    05 Monster S2R
    damn fair weather riders ..... *shakes head*