Friendly safety reminder/request
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Friendly safety reminder/request

Registered User Array The Producer's Avatar
    Bike
    '82 Honda FT500, '58 Triumph Tiger Cub

Friendly safety reminder/request

Hey gang - did a search, hopefully this isn't a repeat.

Good to see the bikes back on the road in the last few weeks, this time of the year makes me miss my R6 the most. It's also a good time to remind bike riders to keep your eyes open for the other riders on the road, those of us with horses. Personally this affects me around Campbell Valley Park in south langley. I know that 8th ave. especially is a nice stretch to open up the throttles but please remember that we're out and about in this area. Please slow down to pass and give us some space if possible as well. Unfortunately even the best ponies are prone to spook and if we should end up in front of you the result will not be good for either of us. Hitting a 1500 lb. stationary animal is going to do some serious damage.

Hope no one takes offence, believe me I'm not trying to cramp anyone's style, just trying to keep everyone safe.

Thanks guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    None right now...
    Good reminder. Don't own a horse, but have friends and relatives that do and have seen what happens when a horse gets spooked. It's not nice for the rider, and completely avoidable.
    ---
    My Picasa Album

Bike
    I'm just here for the intelligent conversation.
    I've been bucked off a horse myself and make it a very important point to slow down around the horses, especially with my loud pipes.

Good reminder for us though!

Bike
    bike
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Scott View Post
    I've been bucked off a horse myself and make it a very important point to slow down around the horses, especially with my loud pipes.

Good reminder for us though!
    You live in False Creek, that hydraulic one at pump jacks doesn't count.
    Too sexy for this forum.

Unregistered User Array greenboy's Avatar
    Bike
    Knobbies
    Thanks for the heads up, to remember to slow down, give a wide path and keep the revs low too.

Bike

2008 Reminder

Hi Guys - Bumping my thread from last year as the riding season picks up again. I'll actually be re-joining the ranks this year - currently taking the course at PRS. I got a kick out of the "accelerating away from a chasing dog" section. Don't do this around horses - we aren't chasing you! Keep it slow guys, had a scare last week already with a show-boat dude passing 3 cars just as he passed our 3 horses on 8th ave.

Thanks again gang - have a safe 08 season.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    SV650
    Quote Originally Posted by The Producer View Post
    Hi Guys - Bumping my thread from last year as the riding season picks up again. I'll actually be re-joining the ranks this year - currently taking the course at PRS. I got a kick out of the "accelerating away from a chasing dog" section. Don't do this around horses - we aren't chasing you! Keep it slow guys, had a scare last week already with a show-boat dude passing 3 cars just as he passed our 3 horses on 8th ave.

Thanks again gang - have a safe 08 season.

And you know the answer to that was to a) kick the dog....

Bike
    Motorcycle
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Scott View Post
    I've been bucked off a horse myself
    For just a split second I forget I was not on ADVRIDER, sorry about that
    BCSB had mountains of experience with a lot of things. #1 on that list is pouring out bullshit to dumb questions by the Gigabyte. (TripleTime, 12-10-2014 03:19 PM)

My Twitter: SH1FTG34R Array Sykk_KiLL's Avatar
    Bike
    2008 Yamaha R6
    Thanks for the tip m8 It's good to spread the word!

Bike
    Geez time flies - a year has passed and it's time to bump up my horse post.

I had two really close calls last year with bikes passing horses - i've been riding my pony up and down 8th ave. in langley every week for 5 years and he still gets jumpy when bikes pass by at speed.

How about everyone slows down when you see horses near the road, sit up and have a stretch and coast on by. You'll get a nod from me

Thanks again BCSB - safe season for everyone.

Bike
    vstrom
    Thanks for bringing the horse situation up, we have experienced a truck's horn causing some excitement with the horse and a school friend died as a result of an uncaring motorist frightening her horse and falling on top of her

Bike
    T4 - GSXR750 #23
    anyone who doesnt respect animals by the side of the road is a douche.. i try and clutch it in whenever passing them..

now pedestrians, on the other hand!!!

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    Quote Originally Posted by KillahK View Post
    i try and clutch it in whenever passing them..
    You meant clutch it UP, right?
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    I walk my Horse down the side of some roads and most people here are decent.

Those that aren't will catch the heavy end of the walking stick.

This is the Boy , "Vegas" just turned 25 and is sick right now.....losing feeling in one of his legs, had a visit with the vet....may not last much longer. My wife got him when she was 14 ..... 22 year ago now. The bond between man and horse is etched into us....it's something very cool to ride with a horse, that can't be matched with machine. Just glad I have both in my life.

Registered User Array 125cbr rider's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Honda CB500X
    my friend who passed away last year always pulled off to the side of the road and always had to make silly statements to people who rode horses. "1 Horsepower looks fun, but 100 and up is funner" was one of them. always got to pet the horses while he was joking around. i always try to stop and park my bike and try and get a picture of the bike and horse in the background. never ends up the way i want it to!