Bon voyage!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bon voyage!!

Don't worry be happy Array bukaroo's Avatar
    Bike
    Kawasaki Racing

Bon voyage!!

Well kids, I think I've hit the end of the road here. I have belonged to this site for some years now with lots of good experiences. I have been riding sport bikes since I got my license at 16, I'm 35 now, but have been losing the spark to go for a ride.

I have hooked up for a few rides but the last couple years I've been coming up with excuses for myself not to go. "I guess I have just lost the spark" I would say. "Maybe getting to old!" So the bike sits longer, which was a 01' zx9r, and I try to talk myself to get out there and go for a ride. Needless to say I sold it on a whim and wasn't even upset?? Wow, I am really surprising myself.

Now that the bike is gone I am in the shops more, looking more, and test riding more. I'm picking up rags I never thought I would read or even be interested in and looking up bikes on the net that have caught my eye from these rags. As I check out these bikes of interest I am also reading the owners views and the latest test reviews.

Alot of the test/reviews are done with the bike in it's element. Now my interest is really peaked an I am estatic that I have not lost the "spark" but have rekindled a fire. I have just moved on to a different mentality - for me. Not better or worse, just different. I now have the bike picked out that I will be getting and it's on the different end of the spectrum from what has been my "norm". For those who may be wondering it is a Buell Ulyses. Not every ones cup of tea but for now it's mine.

It's nice to have a new found excitment in something. I have been lurking on other boards that cater to this style of adventure bike and I'm stoked to get -into- this bike and all the new adventures it will bring. I must say I will miss the corners but my head is so free from clutter of "is my bike fast enough?" "Is there a cop around the next corner?" "Can I keep up with these guys?" "Am I the only guy whos wrists ache and ass feels like it's bleeding?"

My favorite sound in the whole world will always be and inline four tickling redline as it goes through all the gears. So to all you sport riders, don't be shy to wave to the "other guys" 'cause they might have been where you are and one day you might be where they are.

Thanks for all the good times and words of interest and advice. RIDE SAFE AND BE HAPPY!!
    live to ride, ride to live

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    I'm just here for the intelligent conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by bukaroo View Post
    I'm 35 now, but have been losing the spark to go for a ride.
    I'm confused, are you still riding or not?

btw, SilverD's at least 3 times your age and he's still riding. Mind you it's a Vstrom he's riding, but he's riding it just LIKE his old zx9r.

lol sorry Don, couldn't resist.

Bike
    05 Monster S2R
    i went and looked at that Buell your talkin about and it still looks fairly sporty... im sure you could still hit up a few sportbike rides on it

http://www.motorbikestoday.com/revie...ll_ulysses.htm
    Nick

Ridin hard n dirty Array Mr.Sushi ya ha's Avatar
    Bike
    bunch "o" bikes
    huh?? and i thought it only was me thinking the same...got the R1,R6, grew tired went bandit, dualsport, got bored, back on a R6, too cramped, on a SV, just ok, thinkin bout a warrior, or royal star, looked at the buels. nice looking but didnt feel right...good on ya...but you'll be back...took me 10 years and a bunch o bikes but you always will miss that 0-190 in 3 shifts....
    Remembering Bill Mclean.
    Having had a colonoscopy......I have now seen where the sun don't shine......(Me)
    Cancer Sucks!!!

Ridin hard n dirty Array Mr.Sushi ya ha's Avatar
    Bike
    bunch "o" bikes
    oh ya the new BMW or Apprilia got me this year at the bike show...waiting for a test ride...
    Remembering Bill Mclean.
    Having had a colonoscopy......I have now seen where the sun don't shine......(Me)
    Cancer Sucks!!!

Bike
    your girlfriend
    you are not leaving riding, you are just evolving into another phase of riding. riding is not about who is the fastest, who has the most badass bike. nor should it be a tool used to make you feel cool, the bike does not make the rider.

i am glad you are staying with it, even though you are on a different style, you are still a rider, and i will always acknowledge you on the roads, just because you have my respect as a rider. Roger
    THE MOST DANGEROUS PART OF A BIKE, IS THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE SEAT, TO THE HANDLEBARS.

Don't worry be happy Array bukaroo's Avatar
    Bike
    Kawasaki Racing
    No I am not riding yet, I am just doing the dance with the bank. I guess it's not so much an age thing as it is a new experience. I'm sure after 15 to 20 yrs of this I'll get a cruiser! Natural progression......maybe.

When I'm on a ride I'm like, "hey guys did you see that bear?" and look up and everyone is long gone or stopin' to pull my camera out to catch that gotta have picture and look up and everyone is gone. It's just me I guess not my age.
    live to ride, ride to live

Posing with conviction Array heisenberg9's Avatar
    Bike
    anyone I can lean against
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Scott View Post
    I'm confused, are you still riding or not?

btw, SilverD's at least 3 times your age and he's still riding.
    Yeah everyone keeps saying how old he is. Is he THAT old? How old is he?

Three hour tour guide Array silverD's Avatar
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    He'll never tell......

Just wait till I get you alone off on a mountain road somewhere Scott, you'll regret all this.
    Think grey panthers met Deliverance.....
    Last edited by silverD; 04-19-2007 at 07:30 AM.
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

yorkshire sheep shagger Array mark's Avatar
    Bike
    2008 ZX10R- 2006 SPEEDTRIPLE
    Quote Originally Posted by silverD View Post
    He'll never tell......

Just wait till I get you alone off on a mountain road somewhere Scott, you'll regret all this.
    Think grey panthers met Deliverance.....

Godammit Don, here I am on a 10R pushing my limits & there you are on that fuckin Vstom with the bloody muddy tires on, & your stilling pulling away in the twisties....& I aint no spring chicken myself

Bike
    N/A
    I'm 35 now, but have been losing the spark to go for a ride.
    You make yourself out to be old I'm 41 been riding since I was 8 on the street since I was 15. I've done tracks, toured and cruised and you are NEVER I mean NEVER too old to ride get the wife and kids into it and the spark will come back. Trust me.......

Bike
    N/A
    I'm sure after 15 to 20 yrs of this I'll get a cruiser! Natural progression......maybe.
    Speak for your self young stuff I have a friend who has just turned 60 still riding a 2000 R1 so it is not a natural progression it's called you're as young as you feel. So go wipe your nose sonny and buy yourself a Honda Rebel 250 lol "natural progression".....my ass.

Bike
    Motorcycle
    Thanks for all the good times and words of interest and advice. RIDE SAFE AND BE HAPPY!!
    IF you are really leaving can I have your avatar ?
    BCSB had mountains of experience with a lot of things. #1 on that list is pouring out bullshit to dumb questions by the Gigabyte. (TripleTime, 12-10-2014 03:19 PM)

Registered User Array SuperSlab's Avatar
    Bike
    2006 GSX-R750
    For those who may be wondering it is a Buell Ulyses. Not every ones cup of tea but for now it's mine.

It's nice to have a new found excitment in something. I have been lurking on other boards that cater to this style of adventure bike and I'm stoked to get -into- this bike and all the new adventures it will bring. I must say I will miss the corners but my head is so free from clutter of "is my bike fast enough?" "Is there a cop around the next corner?" "Can I keep up with these guys?" "Am I the only guy whos wrists ache and ass feels like it's bleeding?"
    Good on you! As a mid-50's kind of person I really do not think it is an age thing one way or another. It is all about doing what you want to do and enjoying it. And not really caring what other people think about your choice of bike or your style of riding.

When I'm on a ride I'm like, "hey guys did you see that bear?" and look up and everyone is long gone or stopin' to pull my camera out to catch that gotta have picture and look up and everyone is gone. It's just me I guess not my age.
    I bought myself a very small camera that I pop in my jacket top pocket, so instead of having to stop, take off the gloves, take off the backpack, take out the camera and take a pic of the area where the bear was 5 minutes ago, I can now get a shot off in a minute. But then again: the principle that you were alluding to (using a sportbike for touring and sightseeing) is not common... but I do it. But then again: I am old....

For me, part of the pleasure of using a sportbike for long rides/touring and getting from photo op to photo op is that it is so much fun! Who cares if people that don't know my riding history or riding style think I am having a midlife (late life?) crisis?

es ist orange und bellt Array barking pumpkin's Avatar
    Bike
    2004 KTM 540SM
    I'd have a serious look at a KTM 950 Supermoto or 950 Adventure over the Buel, the LC8 will eat it for breakfast and I'm sure the KTM will hold it's value better.
    Your just evolving...we all go through it......it's ok

You'll get that internal fire roaring when you come out for an evening of havok and hooliganism with the Cracker Tour! Buckaroo, the force is strong in you
    Last edited by barking pumpkin; 04-19-2007 at 11:28 AM.
    The Cult of Motard.

Just say NO to fairings!