Motor cycle schools, vs Books on riding

Thread: Motor cycle schools, vs Books on riding

OMFG Must Win At Tag Array Jesse Waldorf's Avatar
    Port Coquitlam
    SV 650S

Motor cycle schools, vs Books on riding

Twist of the wrist and twist of the wrist volume two have made a amazing difference in my riding. Soft science of motorcycle racing is on order.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad i took BCSC course to learn how to ride on a small bike, and to have the experienced instruction on the basics.

However so there is so much more to learn. Off camber turns and all sorts of stuff I had never thought about. All of these things effecting my riding, and how I perceived my bike handling.

I think most courses should touch on alot more. Another full day on some of these things could save alot of people some hard knock lessons.

Or should i just have taken a weekend of race school?

2. Remove Advertisements

User And Abuser Array alternateimpact's Avatar
    2004 CBR 600 F4i
    I thin an MC safety course teaching advanced techniques kinda defeats the purpose of what the course is suppose to be. safety course are abput learning and applying street survival skills, at posted speed limits etc. not everyone has the need for speed. Art courses and track days are where you wanna learn more advanced riding techniques, and grasp the finer details motorcycle physics. In short. safetyu courses are for riders who want to survive on the street, ART's, and track days teach survival skills for tyhe track. as for learning how to ride from a book? I think unless you have some on bike experience, not much of the book is gonna make sense.

Registered User Array cyclestarter's Avatar
    Blue Sport Tourer
    There is NO substitute for classroom education vs book knowledge.
    You'd be robbing yourself of much needed experience and practical application if you were to use the printed pages of a book or magazine to become a motorcyclist of good quality and safe riding practises.

Ride safe!
    I love the sound of an idling bike early in the morning

704 Hauser Street
    McKinley 12-Speed
    Why "vs."?

I say do it all. Take the safety course for the practical experience for the learning to ride safely. Read LOTS. Take advanced rider courses. Ride LOTS. The more knowledge and practice you get, the better.

As for reading, I suggest some or all of the following:

Your bike's Owners Manual

ICBC's Road Sense for Riders

ICBC's Tuning Up for Riders

'The Complete Idiot's Guide to Motorcycles' by Darwin Holstrom and Charles Everitt (with intro by Jay Lenno) (Alpha Books; a div of Penguin Press)

'The Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Guide to Motorcycling Excellence' (Whitehorse Press)

'The Motorcycle Book' by Alan Seeley (Motorbooks International)

'Proficient Motorcycling' and possibly
    'More Proficient Motorcycling' by David L Hough (Bowtie Press)

Then once the basics are established, a bit more advanced books are:

'Total Control - High Performance Street Riding Techniques' by Lee Parks (Motorbooks International)

'Smooth Riding the Pridmore Way' by Reg Pridmore (Whitehorse Press)

'Ride Hard Ride Smart - Ultimate Street Strategies for Advanced Motorcyclists' by Pat Hahn (Motorbooks International)

'Sport Riding Techniques - How to Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety and Confidence on the Street and Track' by Nick Ienatsch (with forword by Kenny Roberts) (David Bull Publishing)

i finished my Pacific Riding School class after having ridden on and off for the previous 3 years and I can say it was worth every cent - I walked in thinking I knew a lot and got my ego checked real quick.

I would do the course first and then use some of the other tools out there to tune up and improve on the foundation

West Kelowna, BC
    R6 Race
    Quote Originally Posted by Godspeed View Post
    'Total Control - High Performance Street Riding Techniques' by Lee Parks (Motorbooks International)
    This is a great book to read, I still read it now and again.

Kawasaki Land Rover and a liter-twin
    Yup, it's not vs. it's both and for years to come.

Also, having someone watch you and point out what you can improve... well you can't get that from a book.

Registered User Array
    04 Kawi ZRX 1200R
    Why is there always someone who has to say that books are not a substitute for taking a class? They ARE a substitute, and a damn good one. Guess what? The nearest class is a 12 hour ride and a week's holidays away for me. I guess if books are no substitute I shouldn't read them then? Sheesh!

Lower Mainland
    Well Jesse

You might want to consider this school, if you really want to learn to ride well. I have done 3 Pridmore schools and a bunch of other advanced rider training and I just graduated (2 of 7 in our 4 1/2 day class passed)

This was the most tiring , difficult and humbling riding program I have ever taken.

I learned something important and new to me every day. If you complete the course you have successfully completed the slow speed week that the Motorcycle Officers in the US must finish and to the same performance standards. The only difference is there is an extra test at NW and you have 5 tries to meet the timed benchmarks as opposed to ont.

For example it was extremely difficult to pass the emergency braking test: accelerate to 40 mph in about 50 yards do your braking in the approved distance without lock up, make an emergency exit though a cone weave and your speed is measured on a radar gun to insure 40 mph

As an added bonus it was raining and the test road was oily.

I try and take a course every year and this was money well spent. It was not cheap $1,000 US plus hotels ( 4 nights) but well worth the money

One thing I did learn was a much greater respect for the hidden skills of motorofficers.

I will post a course review later this week.

Our class was typical 2 new riders one who had never been on his bike on the street just having passed the US MTF to a few 20 plus year riders and myself a long distance type of guy.

You ride school bikes (old police bikes) I dropped my school bike 3 times the first day, twice the third day and was about average in drops. I know a fellow 30 years of serious riding world wide who dropped over 30 times on day one - a school record.

THe schools teaches judgement and good skills . These two things will keep you alive on the street. Track days are fun and much easier, you will learn true street survival and get to ride with one of the most amazing riders I ahve ever seen

Here is an example of part of our 30 minute twice a day follow the leader.
    Picture 9 bikes in a 100 by 20 foot lane fenced on two sides with a concrete building on the third side ( one day a 45 foot trailor was parked along one wall) and you do 50 or 60 tight handlebar locked u turns following a bike as you have the tail of the line of bikes you are in still snaking past you the other way.

It was the hardest most demanding riding I have ever done and it was also the most fun I have had on a bike in years.

Once you graduate you can go down and join any class and just pass for insurance, bike rental and gas
    BCSB had mountains of experience with a lot of things. #1 on that list is pouring out bullshit to dumb questions by the Gigabyte. (TripleTime, 12-10-2014 03:19 PM)