Header bolt removal

Thread: Header bolt removal

04 something...

Header bolt removal

I feel a little stupid posting this, but here goes. I am trying to take off my header bolts from my 2004 Suzuki GSXR 600 with an allen key, but I am not sure which size to use? Is there a specific tool I need to take the bolts off the header? TIA

2. Remove Advertisements

myside.yourside.myside Array bluenote's Avatar
    sold :/
    maybe this is a dumb answer ... see which one fits.

EDIT:if its stock you should have the exact one in yer toolkit. if its not, then fitting it shouldn't leave any doubt -- there should be *zero* play when you insert the key. make sure you're trying a metric set too.

Last edited by bluenote; 04-26-2007 at 10:14 AM.

In hell
    Big and slow
    Use a good quality allen key as well. Cheap ones will just cause you grief when it rounds the bolt head.
    Flowbie- Mellowing with age...

Stolen from Atom:
    Being a road crayon sucks....put your gear between you and the pavement.

Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    if you need more leverage and you can fit it in there, i'd recommend using an allen socket, and wrench.
    Some people are like Slinkies ...
    Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President

Eh Muh Gawd Becky!! Array Purplekawi's Avatar
    my front room
    somethin somethin somethin
    allen socket FTW!! allen keys suck and twist and then round out the bolt then your in there with a pair of vise grips. little bit of advice.........if your not riding it at the moment, spray down the bolts with WD40 or Jigaloo or some type of penetrating oil and leave it sit over night, do it again come morning or a couple hrs before you tray to tackle it. it helps.
    That that doesn't kill us forces us to live with a busted up bike!!

Langley, BC
    None right now...
    Note that it is probably a metric head. If you don't have a metric set, don't just find an imperial key that "fits", because it' probably doesn't fit close enough and it'll just strip the head.

+1 to using an allen socket and socket wrench. Working on my bike got a lot easier when I went and bought the four sizes my bike uses and started using them instead. As an added bonus, I can now use my torque wrench when putting allen bolts in, instead of tightening until the threads start to give and then backing off half a turn.
    My Picasa Album

no more bike...
    If you can, yes, use allen key sockets and a ratchet, like the others have said. I guarantee it will be metric sizes too, since it's a Japanese bike. If the bolt is really rusty, spray penetrating fluid on it and let it sit, then spray some more on it. Careful about using something on the ratchet for more leverage, if it's really rusty or siezed, you might break the bolt inside the head, then you will have to extract it. Try also using a punch (preferably brass, does less damage) and hammer, and smack the head of each bolt once before trying to break them loose, sometimes that helps.