Have to agree with fish_antlers on this one
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Have to agree with fish_antlers on this one

Richmond (If you don't like it here, allow me to point you to the nearest exit. :))
    Bike
    1000K9

Have to agree with fish_antlers on this one

Quote Originally Posted by fish_antlers View Post
    yer out of yer fuckin minds! the Duffy is a pot-hole frost-heave filled piece of shit road. They need to repave the fucker ASAP... good for a dualsport and nothing more..... after they've finished paving it check it out any August.
    I don't know what happened. It's one of those "what the heck" moments, I guess.

I've been on a few __too many__ roads that I don't care to go back to. After reading this... I wanted to do a dry run (in my car) so that I know what to expect. I'm not ready to go on this 600 Kms loop with a bunch of hotshots.

I'm shaking my head for about 70 Kms between Pemberton and Lillooet. No way is this stretch any fun on a sportbike. For a paved road, on a 1 to 10 scale, it rates a 2 on many parts. A "1" would be a death trap. This will be the first time for me to encounter a piece of pavement where the posted speed limit is too *high*. Nothing on this stretch of road rates any higher than a 6! Sure glad I didn't plan a days riding around this loop.

-- loose debris, sand and crumbling pavement everywhere
    -- rocks, the kind from rock slides, sharp and mean looking kind, plent of those
    -- patches on top of patches on top of patches on top of patches
    -- small bumps, big bumps, bumpy all over the place
    -- lots of blind corners
    -- maybe 6 single lane bridges of the scary variety
    -- the road is plain too narrow, shoulder, what shoulder
    -- "you dead" drop offs without barriers or warnings
    -- painted lines must be original, who knows how many years old

And the piece between Lillooet to Lytton (60 Kms) is only so so. Now that I've seen it, I'm not going back on a sportbike.

If you are going to try this, please slow down. Set aside 12 or 15 hours. You will want rest stops. Did I mention you are dodging huge logging trucks too?

Quote Originally Posted by fish_antlers View Post
    dood... I;m not being negative... I'm being honest... the Duffy was a great riding 20 years ago when the pavement was fresh.. there are tons of roads way better than the duffy... why do a disservice to the community and trying to suggest that it's a "great road"... just be honest.. the road has beautiful vistas but the pavement surface is shit... it's good for a nice slow ride on a touring junket or perhaps a dual sport.. NOT a sportbike, and not going for a rip... you know that and I know that, so why try to "sell it" as being something it ain't.

Some noob is going to read your post and waste 8 hours of his life driving to a shitty road and back only to discover that what I've pointed out (the obvious) is in fact the truth. Spare the first set of twisties on the pemby side, the rest of the road is so rutted, frost heaved, pot holed and torn up that it's simply not worth the time and energy for a sportbike rider to get there and back.

That's honesty, not negativity.
    Edit: correction on the Lillooet to Lytton distance.
    Last edited by TrueLies; 05-02-2007 at 02:07 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    H1D, KH400, KLR650, replacing liter bike with???
    It would be great if itwas repaved. Unfortunately when BC decides to repave they feel compeled to straighten the road out and remove the best corners. So I head south were they pave their curvy roads and I don't get points on my license for speeding tickets.

Bike
    Honda. Still. Again.
    So I head south were they pave their curvy roads
    Yup. The center of the motorcycling universe is *not* Duffy Lake Road.

It's also not being stopped at a coffee shop.
    South. South is good.
    Good roads.
    Good food when you need it.
    Fuel is less expensive.
    Tires are less expensive, if you happen to need 'em in the middle of your trip.
    Yup.
    South.

Bike
    I'm just here for the intelligent conversation.
    LOL... no one said it was the holy grail of motorcycle roads... but my God, are you guys wimps.

12-15 hours? lol and 170 km from Lytton to Lillooet? Did you drive there and back 3 times? it's only 63 km.

I did that road twice in the last week.. on a ducati, with a passenger and had no complaints. And yes, I HAVE ridden down south on great roads in the states...

But by all means... you guys keep your sportbikes off that road if it's too scary for you. lol

For right now it's the best thing I've got if I'm not heading south.

Richmond (If you don't like it here, allow me to point you to the nearest exit. :))
    Bike
    1000K9
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Scott View Post
    12-15 hours? lol and 170 km from Lytton to Lillooet? Did you drive there and back 3 times? it's only 63 km.
    You are right. I plotted it wrong the second time in Streets & Trips. It's only about 60 Kms between Lillooet and Lytton.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueLies View Post
    You are right. I plotted it wrong the second time in Streets & Trips. It's only about 60 Kms between Lillooet and Lytton.
    So I take it this was your first time on the Duffy though right?

FAROH
    i didint want to do it either ,i had a bunch of counselling first and the made me kiss a goat ,,,,but yea ,i have to agree with fishcakes too.
    ,id never go on a road that shitty for any reason other than to outrun a dude with a chainsaw,or a really bad case of acne ...and a brutal head cold .

Bike
    1000K9
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Scott View Post
    So I take it this was your first time on the Duffy though right?
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueLies View Post
    I've been on a few __too many__ roads that I don't care to go back to. After reading this... I wanted to do a dry run (in my car) so that I know what to expect.
    I have to type louder?!?

Not going back!

The only reason Pemberton looked good is because they have to rebuild it every 10 to 12 years after a flood. My last time there must've been between rebuilds.

If I had a FJR1300, I'd... What the hell? No way. It's a piece of garbage as far as roads go. Not ever going back until it's repaved! There are thousands of better roads to try first.

Bike
    Well, for all I know you could have been trying it to see what it was like this year having done it in the past.

lol

Bike
    sportbike... pfffft!
    i cant definately agree. the pavement on that road is complete garbage. it is definately a nice route and great scenery, but man that asphalt just sucks balls. i dunno how you do it scott but i stay the fuck off duffy and the sea to sky, i'll take the other way to lytton

myside.yourside.myside Array bluenote's Avatar
    Bike
    sold :/
    this might say something about me but

I wanted to check it out for the season as soon as I saw anyone post about riding it.

and now, I want to check it out just for the hell of it

Cory

Bike
    1000K9
    Don't go alone.

I forgot to mention... but most people guessed... no cell coverage!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    this might say something about me but

I wanted to check it out for the season as soon as I saw anyone post about riding it.

and now, I want to check it out just for the hell of it

Cory

Registered User Array
    Bike
    04 Kawi ZRX 1200R
    I've been following this diatrabe closely, because I have never been through the Duffy loop and want to. I will do it this summer knowing what to expect, so you won't hear me complaining after the fact. I did make the run from the Cache Creek turnoff to Lillooet and then down around to Spence's Bridge... It wasn't as bad as claimed. The new Power Pilot I had put on the back in Kamloops that morning was scuffed up enough to really enjoy the route from there through to Merrit, to Princeton, etc...

I want to head south of the border, but I am very paranoid about being in foreign lands on a bike. Just too much that can go terribly wrong.

Bike
    Motorcycle
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiBosh View Post
    I want to head south of the border, but I am very paranoid about being in foreign lands on a bike. Just too much that can go terribly wrong.
    Like what???

Speeding tickets - no points on your BCDL

Getting Hurt - Have out of province out of country medical. The US Medical System is top notch and they Medivac as a matter of protocol with Air Ambulances everywhere. Trying to get a P number to fly an injured MVA patient in BC is a big deal

Gas is cheaper

The people are nice

Lots of accomodation choices

The US National Parks are amazing and have great riding all around them

Higher Speed limits on interstates when you need to get somewhere quickly and efficiently

In my younger days Canadian guys had a pretty good time with American Girls - sort of a foreigner experience for them

You get to ask the Bartender to put a piece of Canadian Tire Money up behind his bar

If a gunfight seems imminent lots of folks ready to "help out"
    BCSB had mountains of experience with a lot of things. #1 on that list is pouring out bullshit to dumb questions by the Gigabyte. (TripleTime, 12-10-2014 03:19 PM)

Bike
    Honda. Still. Again.
    If a gunfight seems imminent lots of folks ready to "help out"
    Ah. Uhm. Er. Yea.
    Seems like a lot of riders down there have a different type of insurance.....like a Glock in the tank bag.