best 2up sportbike?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: best 2up sportbike?

Registered User Array redlightklondik's Avatar
    2005 SV1000S (for sale), 2005 V-Strom 1000, 2003 BWS 50cc

best 2up sportbike?

Hey gang

I'm thinking about getting another bike that my gf will enjoy passenging on.

Are sport tourers really the only 2up way to go, or are there some sportbikes that are ideal for the passenger?

P.S. Sorry if this was asked before. My seach came up with very little.
    I know you dream of twins

FOR SALE: 2005 Suzuki SV1000S - $5600

2. Remove Advertisements

I've studied abroad..or 2 Array copton's Avatar
    2008 Street Triple (little green bug)
    I picked up a Sprint ST a week ago and I'm finding it to be more like a bike sport bike rather than a sport tourer. It is great for 2-up riding as there is just so much power available. The comfort is really good for both rider and passenger.

I came from a CBR F4i and I find my new bike quite a lot heavier but has buckets loads of power that is easy to get to.

I heard that the VFR is also pretty good for 2-up riding too.

If you want to discuss this more, drop me a pm and I'll tell you what I know.

Happy Camper Array BlackScorpion's Avatar
    Purgasurrey Sportbike: GSX-R750, 2001 F4i, 2002 RM-9, 2003 Derbi SuperMoto Xtreme Posts:1,000,016!!
    GSX-R750, 2001 F4i, 2002 RM-9 Posts:1,000,012!!
    1996-2003 Gixxer 750s. They have a nice wide back seat. Comfy AND lots of storage underneath.
    Team Troll
    "Happy New Ear!" - Mike Tyson.

My ZX9R is decent for 2 up riding.

Mission, BC
    2004 R1, 2005 DL1000 V-Strom
    ZX-9R's are decent, but not for long distances. A day ride here and there was do able for my gf's at the time. VFR etc is better.
    Reformatted to fit your screen.

Registered User Array SuperSlab's Avatar
    2006 GSX-R750
    In my opinion the "best" sportbikes are still compromises for two up riding: they can never compete with real sport tourers like FJR's, Triumphs etc.

Having said that: my wife and I are around our 50's: definitely long past the spring chicken stage. We have pretty much always had sportbikes (or what passed as such in the seventies and onwards).

In 2004 we bought a K4 GSX-R750 and found it reasonable for two up riding: did upwards of 400km per day on occasion. But we did decide that we wanted something a bit more comfortable so we sold that late in '05 with the intention of test-sitting on a number of bikes at the Vancouver bike show and then get something more suited for two-up longer-distance riding. Frontrunners initially after much reading of reviews and tests were the BMW K1200S and the Yamaha FZ1.

So after sitting on a number of bikes we ended up buying.... a K6 GSX-R750! Not very clever, are we? The closest runner-up for us was a CBR1000RR. And we still end up doing 400+km per day. Note that neither of us are huge but neither of us are small either: both an inch or so shy of 6 feet. It just so happens that the Gixxer seems to fit our proportions well.

And that is the key. I do not think there is any one bike that can be said to be the best for all builds: the two of you need to go from bike to bike to see which one fits you best.

Note that Frank at North Shore Suzuki had spacers made up for the back footpegs of our bike: dropped the pegs about 1/2" and moved them forward another inch. While this seems minor it actually made quite a difference (according to my wife).

I would also suggest something at least around 750cc because of the better lower down torque: makes two-up riding less of a chore if you have a bit more grunt.

Alone I have done around 800km per day more than once. And while your butt does end up not on speaking terms with your brain at the end of the day I did not find it that uncomfortable.

Bottom line? Get a short-medium list of contenders and go and try them on.

Registered Squid Array canuck75's Avatar
    i can't imagine any sport bike being better than what you have right now.

Whistler, BC
    I'm just here for the intelligent conversation.
    It's all relative. You can't really get great comfort 2-up and be able to ride long distances ON a sportbike. My bike, while comfier than an r6 or something, is still not ideal for long rides.

You have to go either one way or the other... the best compromise would be something like a VFR which can rock the twisties and still do the distance.
    Last edited by J_Scott; 05-08-2007 at 12:13 PM.

Crotch Rocket Scientist Array penumbra604's Avatar
    2001 Yamaha FZ1
    My FZ1 is comfortable for long rides and still has decent power.

Corbin makes an aftermarket seat with a backrest - which I have but haven't ever used - that could make carrying a passenger even better. You should get a shortlist of recommended bikes and then go stat-hunting and look for reviews. You'll fall in love with one of them.
    2001 Black Yamaha FZ1

Kamloops, BC
    2007 BMW G650X-Challenge
    If you are riding 2up 90% of the time, get a ST1300 or FJR1300.

If you are riding 2up 10% of the time, save some dough and stick with the SV..

She will not be comfortable for long distances on a sportbike. You can sit on mine on Thursday night if you want. I will take you for a little spin
    2007 BMW G650X Challenge

White Rock
    Looking for a 600
    bmw k1200gt
    I <3 Photography

2005 FJR1300, 2008 KTM 990 Adventure, 1981 CB650c
    FJR1300 ABS - 2004 or 2005
    The question is not what you look at...but what you see...
    ~Henry David Thoreau

Hypersonic SportCouch Array kismet's Avatar
    Port Coquitlam, BC
    2006 Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa, 2002 Yamaha YZF-R6, 1982 Honda CB750NH
    Goldwing with suspension work.
    2006 Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa
    2002 Yamaha YZF-R6
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
    1992 BMW 325is
    1986 Dodge Ram 3/4t

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kismet View Post
    Goldwing with suspension work.
    And a few other mods ....
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

Ahhhhh FAACCKK! - Rossi Array JustinF's Avatar
    Port Moody
    DRZ SM!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkydiveSonic View Post
    Holy FACCCKKKKKK!!!! I want one, not red though.
    There are those who have, and those who will, but not those who won't.