Trouble installing Vortex Sliders on '04 600rr

Thread: Trouble installing Vortex Sliders on '04 600rr

Registered User Array
    Bike
    600RR '04

Trouble installing Vortex Sliders on '04 600rr

Hi guys wonder if anyone can gimmie some suggestions on what i can do about this problem....

so as it says, I can't find a socket to fit inside the slider to tighten the bolt. 3/4" fit the bolt head... but not in the slider, 19mm fit the bolt but not the slider.... gah! Went to crappy tire to look for one... the sales person couldn't find one that would fit and mentioned that i would need a special tool that garages would only have. Any idea how i can get this done myself?

Thxs!
    Last edited by Keiichi; 05-20-2007 at 05:32 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array Scorpion71's Avatar
    Bike
    2009 KLR685,FZ6S
    I had the same problem, it's a crappy design I ended up taking the whole thing to KMS tools and going through thier clearance bins untill I found one that fit.

Bike
    Viffer
    Take it to a high schools machine shop and have them open up the inside bore a little. They would probably do it for free.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    600RR '04
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion71 View Post
    I had the same problem, it's a crappy design I ended up taking the whole thing to KMS tools and going through thier clearance bins untill I found one that fit.
    oh really? you were able to find a socket piece that was just thinner? do you remember if it was a special size or anything?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    600RR '04
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
    Take it to a high schools machine shop and have them open up the inside bore a little. They would probably do it for free.
    yeah thought about takin a dremel and boreing out the inside a little more... but probably a last resort don't really wanna thin up the slider if i really didn't have to.

Rightorwrong?
    Either grind the wall of the socket thinner or make the hole bigger

You can probley heat up the socket and pop it in depending on how tight it is or just use a drill or die grinder to make it a bit bigger

Bike
    get a thinwall sparkplug socket

Bike
    crf250r
    snap-on tools sockets fits perfect.

Registered User Array Scorpion71's Avatar
    Bike
    2009 KLR685,FZ6S
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiichi View Post
    oh really? you were able to find a socket piece that was just thinner? do you remember if it was a special size or anything?
    Yep, it just happened to be thinner, I'd have to go and look but I'm pretty sure it was 12 point socket instead of your standard 6 point.

FAROH
    buy a cheap socket and grind it down thin till it fits and slides easy on and off..toss the socket after it will eventually break