BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Help with grinding sound

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  jacky 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I went for a rip the other day, And i started too hear a new sound that isnt good. Everything is running normally, BUT when i put the Bike in Neutral and release the clutch at a intersection, I hear a light grinding sound from the tranny, I pull in the the clutch and it stops. What do to, or what is the problem called and ill do a look on the net for it????????????????????????

Thanks for any Info if i can get it.

2004 vfr 800 vtec

#4 ·
troubleshoot

last time your clutch or plates were switched?
oil level good if its bathed in your oil from bike?
if your clutch ws redone was it stock or oem
are you riding it harder than usual?

so many options....
other than that i would be ripping of the cover and peeking at the insides if you think its the clutch and look in your oil for metal bits......
tranny could be going out who knows

#8 ·
Would not chance it if you really think its grinding get it in before i becomes a big bill or at least check the oil for metal bits.
Likelythe easiest thing to do for piece of mind

#10 ·
OK, basics time.

Check your oil level to make sure it's correct.

Most bikes do make a bit of a whirring sound that runs through the cases when in neutral with the clutch out. But if it's worse than a minor whir that you need to strain to hear then it's time to take it into a shop.

Do you fight the shift lever all the time and get a lot of clunking when shifting? If it doesn't feel almost electric switch like then your timing for shifts is out of synch with what the bike wants. This can lead you to force the shifts and that can lead to damaged or bent shift forks that may be acting up if this is a louder grinding sort of sound.

#12 ·
its been a known issue on a few vfr's,hasnt been pin pointed from what i understand,i know they offset the last clutch plate to combat the noises,seams like a few people have had similer concerns.there were issues with failing cct's on earlier models,but thats not gonna be a issue when the clutch is being pulled.

#13 ·
Thnks guys

I would be too concerned if it was there right away but it wasnt even there last week :(

Wish i had 5th or imperial type shop closer, as Holeshot guys are too BUSY too give a guy a serious listen.

I think i need too test it again, as the sun is peaking out again.

#14 ·
"I need to test it again........"

Yea- run it until it eats itself completely. Only way to know for sure if it is bad is to run it until it stops. Then the guys at the shop can look at you all sad and say "a $10.- part changed when you first heard this could of saved ya"....

If the sound is there and it is a grinding one - get it checked before having fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.