Advice on Digital Cameras
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Digital Cameras

blazinr6

Advice on Digital Cameras

well, i'm finally giving in and buying a new camera so it may as well be digital...does anyone have any recommendations on brands or specific models...i'm looking for an entry level camera and only looking to spend $300-400.

any advice is appreciated and anyone with a future shop or A&B sound type discount is appreciated even more

KO7
    In that price range, I would recommend the Sony DSC-P31 or 51.
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/p31.html

Bike
    2002 ZX6R
    I would go with a Canon. Far better quality and color. I have the canon S30 and it takes awesome pics like this:

kwodtke@telus.blackberry.net

Ex-Team X-Trojan Member

Past Bikes: CM450E, '00 F4, '01 929, '03 GSXR1000/'03 GSXR 750(Katie's), '02 ZX6R (current)

Bike
    '02 ZX-6R
    Just bought an Canon A40 for work from Future Shop. 300 bones, plus another 99 for the memory card.. 128Mb.

The camera is a 2 Megapixel (Not alot, but still ok if you are just getting into it) and it does vid clips with sound. All around, it's a pretty decent camera.

My .02

Bike
    2002 ZX6R
    Blazin R6, get the A40 as Dragon suggested-decent camera for a 2.1MP. Don't buy the Compactflash at Future shop unless you get a deal. ATIC on Broadway sells 128MB for $80 bucks or 256MB for $145.

kwodtke@telus.blackberry.net

Ex-Team X-Trojan Member

Past Bikes: CM450E, '00 F4, '01 929, '03 GSXR1000/'03 GSXR 750(Katie's), '02 ZX6R (current)

Chops
    Check this out http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs.asp
    Everything you need to know...

Registered User Array KawasakiCutekid's Avatar
    Bike
    OH YEAH!
    I agree with the canon...I have a s200......they take great pic....A40 is a great choice.
    BCSB # 908

blazinr6
    thanks for the input guys...i'll be shopping around tomorrow

KO7
    The Canon A40 is very popular. The thing I don't like about it is it is too bulky to fit into your jean pockets, it take 4 AA batteries, and doesn't come with NiMH batteries and a charger. Otherwise very good for the money.

Sam's Canon S200 is an excellent compact camera (digital elph) and they are reduced to $449 since they are discontinued to make way for the S230 (S230 gaining features such as 3.0 mega pixel and 3 minute movies).

Good luck with your shopping, there are many choices available.

Last edited by KO7; 11-20-2002 at 03:02 AM.

ExPostWhoreTurnedLurker Array MavERICk's Avatar
    Bike
    maybe, just maybe, a zx-7
    try the minolta dimageX

it's such a great camera to carry around...i just don't like the hassle of having to carry a camera, i'd rather slip it into my pocket...

perfect fit too!...try it, you'll like it...same quality as the S200 (Canon)...
    R1 to rule them all, R1 to find them
    R1 to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them...

KO7
    The Minolta Dimage X is a fantastic little camera too as Maverick said. It has 3x optical zoom with it's "folded lens" that don't protrude out versus the S200's 2x zoom.

blazinr6
    Originally posted by MavERICk
    try the minolta dimageX

it's such a great camera to carry around...i just don't like the hassle of having to carry a camera, i'd rather slip it into my pocket...

perfect fit too!...try it, you'll like it...same quality as the S200 (Canon)...
    how much do they go for and where can i get one?

i really like the s200 so it sounds interesting

Registered User Array KawasakiCutekid's Avatar
    Bike
    OH YEAH!
    I recommend S200.....the minolta, I don't find it that good....my gf have it...I think the quality of the photo is not as good.
    they are the same price....I would go for the S200!
    BCSB # 908

ExPostWhoreTurnedLurker Array MavERICk's Avatar
    Bike
    maybe, just maybe, a zx-7
    NO!

Minolta!!!

besides...they make better cameras...

just jokin with you sam
    R1 to rule them all, R1 to find them
    R1 to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them...

KO7
    I've seen the Minolta Dimage X retail for $550. You may be able to find a better price however (as Maverick did). The Canon S200 is $449 at Future Shop and $499 everywhere else. But you better hurry, because like I said, it's a discontinued model to make way for the sexier (and $599) 3.0 megapixel digi-elph S230.