Brakes

Thread: Brakes

Bike
    The Mighty One

Brakes

I have had to take off my brake calipers and the rotors and there is this blue shit on them. Is that some kind of antiseize or someting to prevent them from coming loose. The manual says take it to the dealer and I'm just not the type who goes running to the dealer for help on everything. Does anyone know if there's a compound I need to buy or can I just put the rotor back on with the bolts the way they are?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Sponsor/Vendor Array
    Bike
    whatevers on the floor
    Blue shit on what part? If its on the bolt threads its just locktight.
    I dont bother re-locktighting them but if you do make sure you use the removable kind (forget the colour)

Bike
    A couple of Suzukis
    Is this blue shite sort of rubbery? On the inside of the pads? If so, it may just be some anti-squeel goop. Where is this it?
    Maybe Mediocre
    BCSB - I hate you

Registered User Array
    Bike
    '79 Honda 500SE<- Joke, I have a nice bike
    Anti-squeel goop! People use this stuff on bikes!@? That stuff is used by idiot mechanics to silence irrate curstomer when the discount brake pads on thier minivan squeel. It is basicly LUBRICANT and reduces performance.

-Sandworm
    NOT A LAWYER

Bomax Motorsports
    if its on the threads ,it'll be locktight,near the pads its probably antisieze.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    We're all guessing here until Gixxstar gets back to us but if it's on the bolt head sides and onto the casting body then it's indicator paint to let you know at a glance if the bolts are working loose. I've seen white, blue and yellow dots in the past.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    The Mighty One
    Sorry guys, now that I"ve read what my post said I can see that I wasn't making much sense. It's some kind of compound that's on the brake rotor bolts.

Bike
    A black one
    Loctite
    Hug a two stroke....you`ll never go back to trees.

Bike
    office chair
    Out of curiousity, how does the brake 'goop' reduce performance? It goes on the back of the pad, so it shouldn't really affect braking performance...

Originally posted by Sandworm
    Anti-squeel goop! People use this stuff on bikes!@? That stuff is used by idiot mechanics to silence irrate curstomer when the discount brake pads on thier minivan squeel. It is basicly LUBRICANT and reduces performance.

-Sandworm
    BCSB- Hateministrator

I'm an ass

Registered User Array
    Bike
    All brakes "squeel". Most of them make noise at a pitch that we cannot hear. Sometimes brakes (mostly on cars but on bikes sometimes to) will squeel in a way that we can hear them. This does not mean that there is anything wrong with them and the problem will probably go away once the disks get worn in. Sometimes a customer comes in and insists that thier brakes squeel and that it is somehow the mechanics fault. The fastest way to eliminate the problem is to apply something to the disks to lubricate them, even oil would work. The brakes are quiet and the customer leaves. Hopefully the disks will be worn before the brakes start to squeek again. The downside is that the brakes as now covered in OIL! this is a not-good thing.

To quote a Mercedes mechanic:
    "Just turn up the radio, it will go away in a couple weeks."

-Sandworm

Bike
    office chair
    when you referred to anti-squeal goop, i thought you meant the stuff that's applied to the BACK of the brake pad (ie. between the pad and the piston). I've never heard of people actually applying something to the disk to get rid of noise...sounds dangerous if you ask me.
    BCSB- Hateministrator

I'm an ass

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Sandworm, I hope for our sakes that you got that story wrong. I've heard of greasing the BACKS of the pads but not oiling or greasing the rotors themselves. BIG LAWSUIT time if they did I would think.

The application of a thin film of grease on the backs of the pads can act like a dampening medium for the resonance in the system. Sort of like if a bell is ringing and you touch it lightly with a finger it stops right away. Your finger is soft and gooshy so it dampens out the vibration.

Yep. Gooshy IS a technical term ......
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    I have had this stuff used so heavily that the brakes feel "wet". The problem is that idiots buy discount brake pads that often have a smaller contact area on the disk. I think that this allows the disk to vibrate more freely.

-Sandworm