BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

BC is still in the dark ages

3K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  MotoMan 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Hey Bill, I did the Jim Russel race school there in 1982 for 1 week in the summer. They were formula Fords and they were realy SSSLLOOOOOWWW. But it was still fun. The track looks way better now, it is a lot wider, and smoother.

Quebec is a whole different world for racing, the French love it, I wish we has that sort of enthusiasm here in Columbia Britanic. We are left to fight over land bettween the greenies,the NIMB, the Logging companies, and the 1st nations people, man we will have no chance at a facility like Le Circiut Tremblant. We are lucky we have roads let a lone a track.

#3 ·
track in BC

damn it, i suck. should have been a reply to:
http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8720

Moderators: any way to move it?

Funny you posted this...

I'm actually starting on a business plan to open a track up in BC.

HOLD ON!!

Its not MY money (I wish), but some wealthy investors, who wish to "buy" their citizenship/immigrant status using the investor program.

Obviously they want to come in bad, so they need an investment plan to plunk their money into. Its not a locked deal for me, but if a good business plan is presented to them, they will look at it seriously.

The thing is, I have NO idea how a track business works. i.e. cost, land, zoning, market blah blah blah. Cost is the big thing obviously, but I know its dependent on the kind of track. It does NOT need to be the world class, sport racing spec tracks, but something less.

I'd really like to bring this thing here, for the business of course, but track is damn fun! if you guys have some tips, or links to info, please feel free to let me know (unless you are working on a plan too!)

hope it goes well. if there is definite progress, i will let everyone know...

#5 ·
It's either big time investors with political clout or an Indian Band that will get a track here.

btw. You remember a tuner named Mike Velasco? Fast Freddie's tuner. He's in Bremerton and does porting and other engine related work:D

Specializes in Hondas too. 5 angle valve job for the RC????:D

G
#7 ·
bill,a little off topic but mike seems to be a good guy.i called down to mvr a couple of years ago and spoke to him directly.it was kind of cool,speak to the man himself and access his knowledge base,very pr friendly and i wouldn't hessitate to go down there and take advantage of his skills.:thumbup
oh and i don't care where it comes from i would welcome a new bike friendly road course here with open arms.

#8 ·
blade929boy said:
bill,a little off topic but mike seems to be a good guy.i called down to mvr a couple of years ago and spoke to him directly.it was kind of cool,speak to the man himself and access his knowledge base,very pr friendly and i wouldn't hessitate to go down there and take advantage of his skills.:thumbup
oh and i don't care where it comes from i would welcome a new bike friendly road course here with open arms.
The idea of getting a good RZ350 and having him do his 2 smoke magic to it, has been rattling around my brain for the last little while:D

#9 ·
If you were looking at the indian band idea.. talk to a guy named Steph from the tswwassen reserve. He is the guy that runs the moto-x track there and is responsible for that big frestyle event that brought Enslow and gang..shouldnt be to hard to find he is at the track every day...rides a tweeked yz426f

#13 · (Edited)
The loop holes that someone with tons of money would have to go through would be enough to frighten the grim reaper. What is political clout in Canada? Glenn Clark can't get a sun deck built for a few favours. Building a race track would take alot of bribes and our politicians are just too stupid to make it happen, even if it's in there best interest. The Indians are our only hope.
:eek :eek :(

#15 ·
polared, I hope you know what you are doing for your and your investor's sake. There is a lot of bs out there and would urge you maybe comeby the WRMC meeting and speak to some of the people and see what their opinion is...especially Steve dick's...

and if it does get off please please make sure it's FIM approved.

#16 ·
The ONLY reasonalble place to build a track is in OSOYOUS BC!
Let's see,weather....got it, it has a month to two month's longer riding season than ANYWHERE in Canada.

natural resorces......ie gravel and sand for making the track,just dig it up and screen it for whatever use you need it for . A big plus if you don't have to buy every yard of ageragate you need to build a track.

Accommodation's Yes....they have over 100 motel's to accommodate racer's and fans as well , has a lake for swimming and boating ect ect if honey and the kid's don't want to spend all day at a practice day when you'r doinn your thing,ow and theres shopping and all that crap as well.

And lastly ....there is an indian band there if needed?

#19 ·
Man, I sure hope it works out too! good for a project/business (hopefully, still in study).

Unfortunately, can't guarantee anything, (its not MY money, the investors need a feasibility). but a little hope is better than none!

regardless, it'll take a lot of time and money to make it (hopefully) happen

#21 ·
You want a new track?

polared, contact me about a new track in BC. info@motoevents.ca I seem to be connected to those who are building.

Yeah! An FIM approved track would be cool and very expensive. Especialy to those of us who would want to rent it for regional stuff. Personally, I rather just have a good track that's affordable.

For those that don't know, to get approval from the FIM takes allot more than just a safe track. In fact, the track is only half of what is needed for homologation.
To have world racing requires a regional core of people. (as perviously said) If the track is too expensive to rent for the locals, there won't be any regional racing. No regional, no national or international.

I enjoy much more going to far away places to watch the world boys race.

And the reality will be a track in the interior. So when it gets built we all need to support it.

#22 ·
What does the estimated time look like for a track to be built in BC. I know it is being discussed but no one seems to be actually paving the way.....

There should be an email address for all BCSB members to mail our support to show the builders, contractors, .....someone that it would be a great idea and revenue would be generated

#23 ·
Time Estimates

That is a tough question.
Some of these people have been working on their respective projects for years. They are aware of the impacted and the need for use of facility. It seems to boil down to having the money to get the project underway.

I am hoping to see one of them up and running in '03. But I won't hold my breath.

Trust me though, once I know when, so will everyone else.

#24 ·
oscarthegrouch said:

I think our last good hope was Active Mountain - hell, they stopped because somebody realised ooops, lots of good intentions but no $$$$. Damned thing was, the location was right, the local town (Merritt) was behind it and I do believe it was outside of a LOT of government intervention. Maybe those guys would like some foreign bucks :D

Whatever, if it doesn't meet with some governing/sanctioning body's standards, they'll never get insurance coverage anyway.
Merritt is still an outside chance. The problem there is it is a private venture, Big (Really big) project and expensive. The owners want the finance package on their terms.

Governing and Sanctioning have little to do with insurance. They (Active Mountain) want a "World Class" facility. Why? When most of us just want a good road course.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.