Dyno talk. And no i don't mean a t-rex..

Thread: Dyno talk. And no i don't mean a t-rex..

Mike95060

Question Dyno talk. And no i don't mean a t-rex..

OK so it seems the dyno is king with sport bikes. I like so see the quantitative effects of aftermarket equipment so yes I like to see dyno results. But, i have a few questions tha maybe some who know can shed light on.

1. How importsnt is the operator in measuring a bikes horspower.?

2. Can a dyno operator "fudge" settings or technique to get a bigger peak number?

3. How consistant are dynos in general? what is the average error in a dyno masurment +/- 2 hp. for example?

4. Whats the best way to use a dyno?

5. Is an eddie current dyno vastly superior to a dyno-jet?

feel free to educate me here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Team Mspeed Performance Array rob270's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 GSXR1000, 2001 GSXR 600 race bike, 03 CRF450 X-traineer

Re: Dyno talk. And no i don't mean a t-rex..

Originally posted by Mike95060
    OK so it seems the dyno is king with sport bikes. I like so see the quantitative effects of aftermarket equipment so yes I like to see dyno results. But, i have a few questions tha maybe some who know can shed light on.

1. How importsnt is the operator in measuring a bikes horspower.?

2. Can a dyno operator "fudge" settings or technique to get a bigger peak number?

3. How consistant are dynos in general? what is the average error in a dyno masurment +/- 2 hp. for example?

4. Whats the best way to use a dyno?

5. Is an eddie current dyno vastly superior to a dyno-jet?

feel free to educate me here.

Ok I'll do the best I can,

1. (See answer 4) Remember, a smooth curve is much more important that peak H.P. Dip's (in the power curve) mean flat spots (usually poor mixture) and you'll notice these while riding.

2. I believe if the operator does not indicate all ambient air temps and altitude correctly this will effect final results.

3. From what I've read and heard all dynos can give different results (even if they're from the same company) but I do not know by how much.

4. Lots of money, lots of time, and an experienced operator. Make sure your bike is in perfect tune ie. new plugs, carbs sync'ed, valves properly adjusted. Then it's just a matter of changing jets/needle settings or adjusting the maps on your Power Commander/EMS

5. The "Eddie Current" are the latest and greatest machines. If you have a Power Commander IIIr/EMS using anything else is a waste of money.

"Eddie Current" Dynos can hold your bike at a specific RPM, under load, this allows for fine tuning of mixture/timing on the "fly".

Hope this helps.
    WMRC #270

Registered User Array
    Bike
    yes
    So where you'd be able to find these "Eddie current" machines and what makes them different from a regular dyno?

I have PC lll and constantly tweaking my settings by seat of the pants with some good results. Recently visited the Harley guys in Richmond on Westminster Hwy between Richmond Motosports and Yamaha/BMW dealer. They do mostly Harley but claim that can do my Guzzi easily.
    How good are they? Is their dyno Eddie current?

Team Mspeed Performance Array rob270's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 GSXR1000, 2001 GSXR 600 race bike, 03 CRF450 X-traineer
    "Future Cycle house of speed" has the only one in the lower mainland.

It's a Harley place too, but the guys there are super nice people and willing to help anyone.
    WMRC #270

Bike
    Zx6 07, Crf 450r, Yz250f
    All Dynos can be made to make ur bike seem to have more or less power and torque than what it realy has. When I was doing a dyno run on my CR500 the first 3 runs it made 120lb of torque hahaha, why because the RPM was wrong. All the imputs in to the dyno program can be changed. With mine we had entered the RPM at half, meaning at 4000RPM it was realy spinning at 8000RPM, and because torque is a calculation of HP and RPM u get a different numbers, HP= torquexrpm divided by 5,252. So yea they can give u what ever u want if u wanted to play around with the imputs. Dynos will give u slightly different readings from 1 to another, but for the most part the operator makes the difference. Try to find a dyno that is a newer model, the older ones are good but they require the operator to enter all the variables, like air temp, pressure, and humidity, these slight chages will make a small difference in ur results. Most of the new dyno's have a exhaust gas analyser, this will help determine ur fuel mix, and tell u what direction u should go.

Bike
    SV track, VFR road
    Go to the library and read the "Power Corrupted" article in the June 2001 issue of Cycle Canada. There is an 8 page article on dyno accuracy.

Super Addict Array
    Bike
    Want an appliance? Buy Japanese.
    Originally posted by gspinckney
    Go to the library and read the "Power Corrupted" article in the June 2001 issue of Cycle Canada. There is an 8 page article on dyno accuracy.
    Excellent article.