When you feel 'odd' about a ride. DON'T IGNORE IT!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: When you feel 'odd' about a ride. DON'T IGNORE IT!

White Rock
    Ninja 1000

When you feel 'odd' about a ride. DON'T IGNORE IT!

This long weekend I decided to take friday off and make it an extra long weekend. A group of us planned to go down through Winthrop, Kelowna, Revelstoke, Invermere, Cranbrook, Creston, Kelowna, and back home over four days. I was really excited about it. I was going to hit up great roads, with great friends, and a my new VFR. We left early this morning and made it across the border. As we were making our way through the farm roads, the roads were getting twistier. I was getting a good feel for my new toy. I took a corner, opened the throttle up, and I heard SNAAAAAAAAAAAAP! and the bike died. Thankfully the bike did not buck sersiously and I stayed on. Automatically I started the bike up and gave it gas but nothing was happening. I was in third gear and just coasting like I was in neutral. I had a bad feeling about it so I cut the engine and coasted to a safe area on the road. I got off the bike to check out the damage and sure enough my chain was gone completely. As I looked further down the bike was dumping oil at an alarming rate. Then as I looked closer the transmission casing was cracked and I had several other cracks along major engine parts. GREAT. As I am kicking, swearing and throwing my gear around my buddies come back to see whats wrong. We push the bike down the road to a small grocery store and figure out what to do. Thankfully we are close to the border and I was able to get a hold of my girlfriend. She has a truck and she always keeps a wooden plank and tie downs in the back. My girlfriend's status has just been elevated to the best girlfriend in the world!!! Since I was taken care of, my buddies continued on as I was standing in a puddle of my bikes oil. No sense in holding them up! I spent the next three hours chatting with the locals, eating fresh fruit, sandwhiches, ice cream, and reading my book. All in all for a shitty day it worked out all right. It could have been ALOT worse.

Ever since I picked up the bike I had an odd feeling about it. I don't know why. Then when I went on the ride I still had a 'feeling' but it was quickly fading. It's odd how some weird sensation is trying to tell you something but you just don't know. We do have a sixth sense!

If you have big plans or small ones. If something just does not feel right, at the very least take it easy.

I will post up pictures later. I hope everyone else has a great long weekend!!!

whoa! I just check the odometer on my bike, it read 50,000 kms EXACTLY!

2. Remove Advertisements

The Comedy is in the Back Array Saturnin's Avatar
    bro, do you even ride in a straight line? #1 asshole
    its your intuition......woman
    Throttle Trauma 3 - Stunt riding documentary - digital download - visit Asphaltjunkiez.com
    The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.

Blue Power Ranger Array Tylo604's Avatar
    '00R6 -> '05 DRZ400 Supermoto -> '09KLR 650 -> '09VSTROM 1000 -> '11 BMW R1200GS
    Glad you're OK Lee.

If a chain can crack a case cover, think what it can do to the back of a leg! Glad you came away from that unscathed.

I agree, eerie/bad feelings = slow down or go home!

The 'Wack
    SV track, VFR road
    Glad you're OK. My buddy had a chain snap on his KLR a few thousand km from home--100km after a new chain had been installed. He was on a busy Interstate, so he got lucky not to be run over. Same thing--cracked engine case....and the offending shop wouldn't cover all of the repairs. He had no choice but to get it fixed and get home.

Was your chain newly installed? If so, let us know how this turns out for you.
    "When in doubt accelerate.
    It may not help you avoid the problem,
    but it'll end the suspense."

WMRC #96 (retired)

Vancouver BC
    1999 Yamaha R6
    wow Lee way to have a positive outlook on it!!! gut feelings are sometimes eerily accurate!!!

way to keep it up, see ya in a couple weeks,

2006 Honda CBR 600RR
    ouch man, that's a shitty story but best thing is you're ok and stayed upright even though the chain busted on you in the middle of a corner!

Hope the damage isn't too bad and hope you can get it fixed up soon.
    (o'.'o) Thanks to Twinbros Racing for my avatar!

Ride the winds of change Array scooter's Avatar
    Adventure and Sport

Like you said to me when my rear bearings went on my Oregon trip it makes for a great storey if you are healthy.

Yeah, definetly listen to your intution.

Its really interesting the people you meet when shit goes down. Time almost seems to slow.

You have this feeling but you just can'tputyour finger on it. Very easily ignored, but someone is trying to tell you something, but you just don't know what it is.

Any pics. It sounds like you have the touring bug.

Registered User Array Good old Pete's Avatar
    2010 Z1000
    Thats sux big time Lee!
    I know exactly whats its like cause years ago Super Daves chain snapped and was ejected back towards me at about 160.

There was major damage to his bike I hope not yours!
    When speeding run from the cops, it's a lesser infraction.

jb weld is your friend, call me lee, ill fix shit up 4 you

Three hour tour guide Array silverD's Avatar
    '08 Varadero
    Always trust your gut.... Glad it wasn't worse Lee.
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

The Law
    Well dude as I was reading your story I was bracing myself for a much worse outcome. I'm glad that you and non of your friends went down because that is where i thought you were gong with this.

Posing with conviction Array heisenberg9's Avatar
    anyone I can lean against
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturnin View Post
    its your intuition......woman
    Girly-man but in a good way, if you know what I mean...

Good to hear you escaped Lee without a chain wrapping whacking you or the oil spitting out the rear as you came to a stop.

Still defying gravity... Array Thumper 8's Avatar
    3 and 6 cylinders of fury
    Lee, is this a good time to congratulate you on the VFR?

FWIW, at 25K my first chain was toast. I think I put the second one on around 50K.

Glad your incident wasn't worse.

As asked before, was it a new chain or ???

aka Tony

My WMRC/Pitt Meadows and other bike photos are at Thumphoto.com - follow on Twitter and connect on Facebook

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Yeah - i had my first crash about 15 minutes after leaving the house with a "something's going to happen" thought in my head when leaving the house ... Good to hear you made it out ok - a chain lashing at that speed can be BAAAAD ...
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    two feet off the ground..
    MIAMI '09 & RAIDER S! '14

wow... geez, well i'm glad you're okay!!

thats what you get for buying a honda though!!! lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.