Motorcycle

First Gold Wing Air Bag Deployed

From LD rider

NYT article at:

http://tinyurl.com/2p2zbg

To quote one of my pals

I had no idea the "American Dream" was to ride a motorcycle without a
    helmet......
    BCSB had mountains of experience with a lot of things. #1 on that list is pouring out bullshit to dumb questions by the Gigabyte. (TripleTime, 12-10-2014 03:19 PM)

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    05 Monster S2R
    sweet lucky guy
    Nick

Across moat, past guard dogs and razor wire.
    Bike
    Scooty-Puff Sr.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses of squid yearning ride without a helmet..."
    "Fry, I'm an 80's guy. Friendship to me means that for two bucks I'd beat you with a pool cue till you got detached retinas." - That Guy

Bike
    Suzuki SV650, 2002
    The americain dream is much reduced these days.
    -
    -
    Current:Suzuki SV650, 2002
    Previous:69 Triumph 500, 71 BSA lightning, 73 Triumph Trident, Yamaha DT125, 85 Honda Nighthawk, 88 Harley Sportster, CB 900...hmm I think thats it

Does your chain hang low? Array
    Bike
    2-wheels
    Apparently the American Dream also involves riding the biggest and ugliest motorcycle you can find.

Bike
    Motorcycle
    Quote Originally Posted by adiabatic View Post
    Apparently the American Dream also involves riding the biggest and ugliest motorcycle you can find.
    The Flare Red ones are not ugly

Just think of an 1800cc Wing as a well handling 950 pound sport tourer
    BCSB had mountains of experience with a lot of things. #1 on that list is pouring out bullshit to dumb questions by the Gigabyte. (TripleTime, 12-10-2014 03:19 PM)

Ride the winds of change Array scooter's Avatar
    Bike
    Adventure and Sport
    Bill, I'll support you on the Gold Wing. Some people can ride the wheels off the beast.

A little dissapointed when I saw a new one on the ferry with aftermarket foot pegs mounted way out. They looked dangerous and would touch down way to early for a skilled rider.

Bike
    Motorcycle
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Bill, I'll support you on the Gold Wing. Some people can ride the wheels off the beast.

A little dissapointed when I saw a new one on the ferry with aftermarket foot pegs mounted way out. They looked dangerous and would touch down way to early for a skilled rider.
    Those stupid footpegs would not pass tech in the Iron Butt Rally. I know of a few cases of riders in off camber turns lifting the front wheel and low siding into the toolies at speed. I believe that they are really dangerous and will come back to bite the rider when he or she is least expecting it, of course I don't get the trailer thing either

It is true thou that The Wing Folk sure love their "Safety Chrome"

Favourite Story

Last Spring my bike was really dirty and beat up after a few thousand Km of Alaska Highway construction.

I pulled into the Prince George Dairy Queen (ok I admit it DQ just goes with gold wing but I had lived on boost and cold tinned spagetti for a week)

The local GoldWingers Club (flock?) were also at the DQ...they looked at me in my filthy stitch, my wing covered in mud and slime and saw the abdomination of my wing with electronics and lights everywhere...with no safety chrome and they turned away in horror

I went over and ate my cone with some harley guys .....they like the dirty boy look

Bike
    Yanagisawa
    The engineers at Honda must be shaking their heads ... they design a sleek, modern (for 2001), powerful tourer - hoping to attract the sport touring crowd - only to have flag wavin' 350 lb DQ addicts hang every conceivable useless doo-dad on it and chrome the rest.
    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink ..

p.s. mine's black and it's awesome
    Well weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scent of country air ....
    Sunlight on chrome, the blur of the landscape, every nerve aware .. !!

Bike
    Motorcycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    The engineers at Honda must be shaking their heads ... they design a sleek, modern (for 2001), powerful tourer - hoping to attract the sport touring crowd - only to have flag wavin' 350 lb DQ addicts hang every conceivable useless doo-dad on it and chrome the rest.
    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink ..

p.s. mine's black and it's awesome
    Have you done the suspension yet...a must do

I did a Race Tech front fork and had a Works rear shock (1400 lb spring)built but now the best setup seems to the traxxion dynamics package

Don't you just love the roll on power.. you know running up some mountain pass fully loaded passing a line of harleys

I resisted a wing for years and I was wrong it is the perfect LD bike huge alternator, great stock headlights, loads of power, limited maintneance costs and a very low C of G

Bike
    Yanagisawa
    Have you done the suspension yet ?
    I wonder if it would be worth it for me ? I travel solo and don't pack much.
    I seem to remember that you got the mod done almost as soon as you got your bike .. was there really a noticeable difference or are you justifying the purchase ?? (no offense !)
    Don't you just love the roll on power.. you know running up some mountain pass fully loaded passing a line of harleys
    How about passing other bikes in the twisties ? I've done it with the pegs scraping all the way .. and I'm not a fast rider.
    Well weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scent of country air ....
    Sunlight on chrome, the blur of the landscape, every nerve aware .. !!

Bike
    Motorcycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post

I wonder if it would be worth it for me ?
    Oh Yes it is worth it, best method would be to ride to Traxxion and get it done or brave the chrome and ride to Wing Ding, I would call to see if they are booked first

[/QUOTE]I travel solo and don't pack much.
    I seem to remember that you got the mod done almost as soon as you got your bike .. was there really a noticeable difference or are you justifying the purchase ?? (no offense !)[/QUOTE]

No Offense taken Huge difference I hardly ever scrap , better lean angles, quicker handling and RR tracks are a float not a bang. If you have seen the video of Yellow Wolf running Deals Gap he has the Traxxion Setup -nuff said

[/QUOTE]How about passing other bikes in the twisties ? I've done it with the pegs scraping all the way .. and I'm not a fast rider.[/QUOTE]

Yes I gave two sportbikes a spanking last year going to see Michael on the backroad in to Vernon, apparently just having a sportbike doesn't make you fast

Bike
    None right now...
    That goldwing that someone saw on the ferry may be my dad's. Those flip-out foot pegs may be comfortable, but they look like badly designed warts on the side of the bike.
    ---
    My Picasa Album

Bike
    Motorcycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    That goldwing that someone saw on the ferry may be my dad's. Those flip-out foot pegs may be comfortable, but they look like badly designed warts on the side of the bike.
    Is it time for an intervention ??

Member #827 Array CrotchRocketeer's Avatar
    Bike
    10R
    I'm a sport / performance rider through and through but after riding a Goldwing for a few hours... I'd buy one. If you're going on long distance CRUISES they can't be beat! Cruise control on @ 90mph, screen up, radio blasting AC/DC, peg extenders out and chair reclinded - I was crusing the I5 in a fucking lazyboy. If I'd been feeling really badass I could have snagged a beer out of one of the storage compartments on the fly, I might as well have been on a beach. Goldwings, in that respect, are rad.

But if I planned to do a serious twisties tour I'd still rather have a standard (Tuono, 990R, Speed Triple), and I wanted to get anywhere REALLY fast I'd keep the bike I've got I can live just fine out of a backpack!

As for buddy being saved by the airbag, it's too bad technology is overpowering darwinism. Bringing it back into balance is my Canadian dream.
    Last edited by CrotchRocketeer; 07-03-2007 at 03:01 PM.