BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Riding like an Idiot

4K views 47 replies 30 participants last post by  Not Enough Time 
#1 · (Edited)
To the rider on the blue R1 wearing a turban,tee,shorts n sneakers on nordel way yesterday afternoon....if you're reading this.. don't know what your rush was but bro try to keep a lid on it on a congested public road, don't really know if "hopper" was your instructor but you weaving in and out of traffic n trying to be like a GP guy was not cool :surrender ..had my boy 2-up on my gixxer ,showing him how to ride nice and safe and enjoy the sport and you had to go and ruin it...kid had a few questions for me afterwards regarding what you were doing:banghead ...and before this snowballs into a "turban" or 'racial" thingy, can it! cuz i'm a sikh also. Rant over and cheers

#5 ·
I've seen that look before too - I guess it's no worse than a beanie but I don't get it. Full face, all the way. Couldn't you just get a larger sized helment and wear it over the turban? I would think even the bug/rock/golfball protection factor would make it worthwhile even if you felt immortal regarding crashing.

Everytime I get a chip in my visor, I feel vindicated in going with a full-face helment.

#6 ·
Seems every time I go for a ride now I come across some clown/clowns stunting or riding like idiots, nearly always in traffic. I used to come across them in industrial areas etc and enjoyed watching, now it's nearly always on the roads.

To the guys doing it, come on, your putting yourselves and others at risk, giving bikers in general an even worse name, could put and end to large sports bikes or even all sports bikes, and screwing up insurance rates.

#10 ·
On that subject, I am pretty sure not all sikhs wear turbans. Am I wrong? And if it is so important that you always wear a turban, maybe motorcycles aren't for you, eh? Are helmets about safety or not? Not trying to be a jerk here, would really like an answer to all this.

G
#12 ·
This guy is not your kids hero so your kid should not care, and you are not the guys hero who was on the R1 so he probably doesnt care what you think either. Stop crying man and i bet its not as bad as you say it was you just wanted to come here and say you saw a guy on a R1 with a turban on.

#13 ·
A true follower of Sikh tradition must wear his turban, and there is no such thing as a helmet that will fit over that. Personally I think it is complete and utter bullshit that people can flaunt the law like this, it has nothing to do with racism it is simply a matter of respect for OUR traditions and laws.

If you can ride without a helmet, why not? It's your brains that will be dashed across the ashpalt when you slip on some oil in a simple intersection turn.

#20 ·
So let me get this straight. What are OUR laws? The laws that the Europeans brought over or the laws of the indigenous people of this land? Are you saying the laws of people other than those of Euro-Canadian descent are invalid. I'm sorry my friend but it has a lot to do with racism.

#15 ·
I think if a Turban is worn than there insurance coverage for themselves should be void and only cover the other vehicle involved if there is a second. If it is a single accident and head injuries happen that could have been avoided if wearing any kind of DOT protection than the insurance should be void.

#16 ·
It is usually upto the rider if he wants to wear a turban or a helmet i have a few friends who wear turbans and also wear helmets when they ride. They jus tie smaller turban and wear their helmet over top. This is also what Sikh fighter pilots would do when they wear helmets while flying.

#22 ·
Helmet laws have nothing to do with racism.

As someone else said, perhaps they can wear a smaller turban or maybe they should get a custom helmet.

Still it's not my brains on the road (or nicely kept together by the cloth holder but not inside my head anymore) - and honestly the medical/insurance costs for the very few riders who crash while wearing only a turban for head protection would be a small blip. They'd probably be fatalities, with some fault for the severity on the rider even in an accident 100% someone else's fault thus reducing any settlement.

As for whose laws matter...well it sort of depends which country/province/city you're in, doesn't it? Just because you can do a u-turn in Bangalore (actually I don't know if you can), doesn't mean you can do one here.

From another website:
"In British Columbia the exemption came as a result of Dhillon v. British Columbia. In this case the Human Rights Tribunal balanced the duty to accommodate religious freedom against the hardship to society. The tribunal found that upholding the religious rights of practicing Sikhs to wear turbans instead of helmets outweighed any the undue hardship to society. "

#23 ·
Quoted from the Sikh motorcycle club website. Seems like loud pipes save lives is all wrong. It's loud pipes and turbans that save lives.

"We have a logo that is very bright on our jackets and most of the pipes sound noisy, but are very good for making car drivers aware that something is coming from behind, on the side or from the front. You cant ride a motorcycle without a helmet or a small mini-turban of just 1 meter. No, you have to have a full turban and the turban is very safe. Our forefathers have fought in the second world war along with the British soldiers. The fire coming in from the mortars, cannons and they've been handling that and it was very safe and it's still safe. A lot of people have died of head injuries while they were wearing hard hats and there are a lot of cases where people have had accidents, where the turban has saved any head injury at all. Still we believe in safety, particularly in riding in a group or riding in twos ultimately the type of precautions that we always take. When you are on a motorcycle, specifically if you are a turban Sikh, you have a turban on your head and you have to be more responsible. "

#24 ·
When you are on a motorcycle, specifically if you are a turban Sikh, you have a turban on your head and you have to be more responsible. "
I think that sums it up. You have to understand you're not wearing the safest gear available and it could be a fatal choice. Blitzing around in and out of traffic probably isn't the safest thing while only wearing a turban.

;D

#38 ·
They do follow the same laws as you do. Is it illegal to wear a turban? Of course not. If you so wish, you too can become an orthodox Sikh. If you don't want to go that far you could wear a beenie. The options are there just don't put people down for choosing other than your choice.

This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
#29 · (Edited)
yeah soooo..... getting back to riding style. yeah sounds like squids come in all shapes sizes and colors.

as for how your son's lesson goes: "son ... the idiot on the blue bike... well that is exactly what I'm telling you not to do" then explain why... end of story.

also theres nothing that says what a turban has to be made of.
shape it out of what ever helmet material you want . snell approve it. dot approve it.

imho:most of these guys wont wear it. if you ask me its about messin with the rules.

btw: go hang out at 8 rinks and take notice theres many sikh players wearing hockey helmets and not their turbans.

yours sincerely,

another turban-less sikh.

#35 ·
wearing a turban and ride a bike at the same time? i ain't sikh but i just can't imagine myselt riding without a helmet u know wut i am saying?

well, good luck to you skih fellows riding bikes. that is just dumber than riding squid, even though it's legal. that's all i can say

#41 ·
Ah, so I don't need to be orthodox Sikh to wear a turban legally on a motorcycle?

If that is the case, then you are correct - same laws for everyone.

If only orthodox Sikhs can wear a turban on a motorcycle, then they are following different laws than I am.

I am unsure which is the case and was basing my counterpoint on your previous post mentioning becoming an Orthodox Sikh to be able to not wear a helmet.

#46 ·
Ah, so I don't need to be orthodox Sikh to wear a turban legally on a motorcycle?

If that is the case, then you are correct - same laws for everyone.

If only orthodox Sikhs can wear a turban on a motorcycle, then they are following different laws than I am.

I am unsure which is the case and was basing my counterpoint on your previous post mentioning becoming an Orthodox Sikh to be able to not wear a helmet.
Put on a turban, go for a ride and find out. If the cops don't pull you over than its the same law for everyone.

Where is "The Law"? No helmet Nazi posts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.