Help: 98 gsxr shuts down while riding.

Thread: Help: 98 gsxr shuts down while riding.

Paramedic Array
    Bike
    98 gsx-r 750

Help: 98 gsxr shuts down while riding.

1998 gsxr 750, just did an oil change 2 weeks ago, oil level is perfect, but lately the bike will shut down, CEL flashes F1 i think and the red light blinks. Now, it first started when i would do a catwalk, after bringing my front tire down it would stall, and i would hit the kill switch and bomb start it and keep going. Now tonight i was bringing up the revs merging on the highway and it did it again. Anyone have any idea what the hell could be going on? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Most likely a connector somewhere that is loose and making an intermittent contact. They can be a bitch to find because you basically need to pull off all the stuff and expose as much of the wire harness as possible and test by flexing things around while the engine is running to find the one that makes it quite when you flex it or happen to notice that it's not plugged in all the way. NOt sure if a bike that old has a tipover sensor but if it does that would be worth looking at as well.

CEL? If the bike is giving you a message on one of the guages, which I assume you mean, then find out what that message refers to.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    05 GSXR-750
    I don't think they had the tipover sensor that year, it came later.

Like TeeTee said, sounds like a loose connection or something corroded. Check your kill switch, take it apart and have a look inside.

Also check out www.gixxer.com. I'm confident you'll find lost of useful related information.

Good luck and post up when you solve it.

Paramedic Array
    Bike
    98 gsx-r 750
    i took the bike to Suzuki today and told them the same thing as i wrote above. Turns out the bike actually needs more than the 2600ML that it says, even though it was showing fine on the window. After adding a bit more it seems to be doing just fine, if it gives me the shut down again, then i'll start messing with connectors. thanks alot for your input guys and thanks for the gixxer link too.

builder of bikes Array cosworth's Avatar
    Bike
    bah
    Your kickstand needs to be serviced. Adjust the switch and tighten the bolt.

Wanderer of the Wastes Array DNAspark99's Avatar
    Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    yeup my srad kickstand spring got tired one day and hitting the slightest bumps would randomly result in it sagging down just enough to trip the kill, then another micro bump would bring it up just enough for the bike to snap back to life. like cos says, check that
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

builder of bikes Array cosworth's Avatar
    Bike
    bah
    Next step. Don't call it catwalk. It's a wheelie. Period.

2007 F1 World Champion Array raikkonen's Avatar
    Finland, Finland, Finland, the country where I'd like to be.
    Bike
    Ferrari F2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeTee View Post

CEL? If the bike is giving you a message on one of the guages, which I assume you mean, then find out what that message refers to.
    FYI: CEL = Check engine light.