BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Tire question

3K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  TeeTee 
#1 ·
If I'm going to replace my rear (D207), and I wanted to replace it with a different tire (say D207RR or Bridgestones 010), would I need to replace the front at the same time?

#2 ·
I'm running the bridgestone BT56-SS. I think it's a far superior tire than the 207's. Quicker turn in, and better grip. I think they are a little hard to find, but on the track they were amazing. I also took these up to squamish in the rain with my gj, feenix guy, and dalton, and they were absolutely awesome.

#3 ·
I would recommend changing the front tire if you're going to change to another brand or type. If you stay with D207's then it's not neccessary, but all the Brit mags say it's essential to have the same tread pattern at front and rear. I'm sure you wouldn't notice it around town, but when you start getting on 'er on the highway, you'd find a difference.

#4 ·
the 207 and 207RR have a different tread pattern and compound.
I would stick with the same make and model if you are planning to change just the rear tire.

Hu99 said:
I would recommend changing the front tire if you're going to change to another brand or type. If you stay with D207's then it's not neccessary, but all the Brit mags say it's essential to have the same tread pattern at front and rear. I'm sure you wouldn't notice it around town, but when you start getting on 'er on the highway, you'd find a difference.

#5 ·
Adam, first wanted to remind you that you will need to take other people's advice on tyres with a grain of salt unless they have the same bike as yours,

as far as I know it's ok to go with different makes or styles, as long as they aren't too different.....

on my old 600R I used to run a Dunlop K951 and a Bridgestone 1010 no problems, the 1010 really lasted, had done like 15,000 on it and there was still a lot of thread on it...

I already have a set of Dunlop 207 front and 205 rear waiting for me at BK...bought them during the sale....so when times comes for tire change in the summer, most of the expense is taken care of....

#6 ·
I think t's irrelevent wether it's a 6R, R6 or F4i. Tires are round, black and we all have them.

If you are just commuting with most of the wear on the center of your tire, i guess having different tires is ok. If you plan on some track or spirited street riding... i would suggest otherwise.

my 2 pennies.

Later,
Human said:
Adam, first wanted to remind you that you will need to take other people's advice on tyres with a grain of salt unless they have the same bike as yours,

as far as I know it's ok to go with different makes or styles, as long as they aren't too different.....

on my old 600R I used to run a Dunlop K951 and a Bridgestone 1010 no problems, the 1010 really lasted, had done like 15,000 on it and there was still a lot of thread on it...

I already have a set of Dunlop 207 front and 205 rear waiting for me at BK...bought them during the sale....so when times comes for tire change in the summer, most of the expense is taken care of....

#8 ·
Someone with a 9R over at SBN asked this once. He ended up getting the BT010 to go with his old 207 front until he could get some money together for the new front. Well in this case it worked so well that he just decided to keep the front until it wore out.

207 fronts and 010 fronts look really really close in shape to each other (I've got 207 and Sherry's bike has 010's) so this was no surprise to me. I'd say you're fine but just watch for the front end wear sneaking up on you. You'll probably have to replace the front before the rear this time.

#9 ·
My concern is the different compounds. Different tire makes and models have different warm up, slide, wet riding characteristics

There's a good possibility that the front may feel great but your rear tire could be dead cold without any real sign. Or Vise versa.

The fairing damage will cost a lot more than the savings in getting a cheaper tire. Again, my 2 cents... I just dont wanna see a fellow rider eat it man.

BMatthews said:
Someone with a 9R over at SBN asked this once. He ended up getting the BT010 to go with his old 207 front until he could get some money together for the new front. Well in this case it worked so well that he just decided to keep the front until it wore out.

207 fronts and 010 fronts look really really close in shape to each other (I've got 207 and Sherry's bike has 010's) so this was no surprise to me. I'd say you're fine but just watch for the front end wear sneaking up on you. You'll probably have to replace the front before the rear this time.

#12 ·
eg_hybrid said:
I think t's irrelevent wether it's a 6R, R6 or F4i. Tires are round, black and we all have them.

ummm every bike is designed and shipped with a certain tire profile, change that and you change the handling qualities of the bike, some bikes don't care what rubber you slap on and some will give you serious headshake....

#13 ·
207's slide really slow and are predictable. Though i think the max grip may be lower than the BT56ss's etc.

010's... not sure if were thinking of the same tire but those are the worst street tires ever made (for the track anyway)... a friend of ours has a set on his 929. They heat up really fast but fall off in a BIG way once they're over their operating temp. Like they slide everywhere...

I've got a set of 207RR's right now... i'll let you know they are. You're right though, they're gonna suck big time in the wet. (They have no center groove for water repelling i.e 207's)

absolutdm said:
From what I've read, 207's arn't great at all. The 010's are supposed to walk all over then, and then the Performance/Street 207RR's are supposed to trounce those, although my guess is the RR's are probably horrible in the wet.

#14 ·
Personnally I'd say if you can afford it, keep matching tires. So if you replace and goto a BT 010, change the front as well.

I'd also suggest if you do have a 190, going down to a 180. This will give you better turn in, but it'll change the gearing slightly. A BT010 190 down to a BT010 180 is roughly equivalent to dropping 2 teeth on the rear sprocket on a TLR (Stock gearing is 17/39 if I remember right) (Which is why I can go +4 on the rear and still be able to use first.. :D)

So take that for what it's worth compared to an R6.

Then you have to consider the whole tire compound difference thing as well. That will come down to personal preference and whether you'll feel confident with it.

Jim.

#15 ·
Everyone that I know that tried the BT010 at the track said they hated them. I know the mags said that they are a good tire, but I think it's mainly for street.

between the 207 and the BT56SS, i think the BT56SS's have a taller profile, and more grip. They dont slide like the 207's, and turn in faster. And most of all....a lot cheaper.

The 207RR is a totally different story :)

#16 ·
You mentioned they are "the worst street tires ever made (for the track anyway)" You need to make a choice what tire you want. Street and Track are completely different animals. A street tire is not designed to compare to a track tire. Street tires are designed to give maximun grip in most conditions and give the maxmum tread life. Track tires just aren't designed for tread life, nor are they designed for different weather condiftions.

IMHO the 010's are great street tires.. but aren't designed for track duty.

Jim.

eg_hybrid said:
207's slide really slow and are predictable. Though i think the max grip may be lower than the BT56ss's etc.

010's... not sure if were thinking of the same tire but those are the worst street tires ever made (for the track anyway)... a friend of ours has a set on his 929. They heat up really fast but fall off in a BIG way once they're over their operating temp. Like they slide everywhere...

I've got a set of 207RR's right now... i'll let you know they are. You're right though, they're gonna suck big time in the wet. (They have no center groove for water repelling i.e 207's)

#19 ·
Big Jim said:
A street tire is not designed to compare to a track tire.
I agree, street and track tires are completely different animals. However, i'm talking about comparing the 010's to other street tires (i.e. bt56ss's 207's etc.) at the track.

Big Jim said:
Street tires are designed to give maximun grip in most
conditions and give the maxmum tread life.
The 010 would be a great commuter tire. It heats up fast and has fairly hard compound (so it lasts a long time). Though, they're pretty much garbage versus the competition for spirited street riding and track riding.

#21 ·
I think the point is, that I would like to be able to run on the track every once and a while, and so I'd like a higher performance everyday tire - and i'm willing to sacrifice wet traction quite a bit, as I'm a pussy and won't ride in the wet for the most part, and if I do, well, then I jsut take her REAL easy. :D

Your all absolutetly right, the magazines love the 010's, including the tire reviews in the Articles section of this site. The 207RR's however get an absolutely glowing review for a performance road/race tire. I found them at Discount Tires for about $250USD for a set.

The 207's in the same review by the way reviewed very poorly.

I want grip, and I want tonnes of it.

And HAS NOBODY RIDDEN AN R6?!
I don't need any more turn in. Trust me. :D

And I already run a 180. Which is stock.

#23 ·
thr1 said:
how about trying the metzler sportec m1, then you can give me a idea about how they are:laughing
I agree, their next on my list for tires. I know a few people that have run the Mez in the past. They say that when they go...they go fast. Their not as predictable as the Dunlops. I hope they've done something with their compound for the M1's.

atom

#25 ·
absolutdm said:
....I want grip, and I want tonnes of it.

Um, I'd say you really don't want tonnes of grip if it comes with a lightning quick release.

After shopping around and asking I went with 207's for my track ride because of the feedback I got about them providing lots of warning and a very progressive slip near the edge. For me that safe slippage feedback is more important than the final grip.

I see I should have come here and asked you track guys what the best tire was. Would have saved me some time and agonizing.

I'm really surprised to hear about the 010's being that bad for the track. I know magazines can be bought out but the riders over at SBN are all NUTS about the 010's saying that they would give up riding before giving up their 010's. And some of them are running track days with them to boot.

I wonder if it's a climate thing. The 207's seem to be the tire of choice around here while the 010s seem to be favoured by the more southern folks or easterners where the summers are hotter.

Oh and the 207 to 010 mix was just for that one bike, a 9R. He went into it with his eyes open and prepared to get the matching tire. But he came back and reported that the bike handled fine.

But in general I agree that it's best to change tires as a pair.

G
#26 ·
I've got about 5 sets of somewhat used Michelin Pilot Race (DOT approved) tires in my garage. You want ultimate grip, these are the bomb. Not too bad in the rain either actually. Of course I used them strictly on the track, but fully intend to use them on my next street bike. If anybody wants to buy a set off me, I would be willing to part with one or two sets. $150 for a set with 2 race weekends on them.
As far as a street tire, I loved D207's on my '96 GSX-R750 and hated the BT56-SS's. Just my 2 cents though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.