bouncing idle

Thread: bouncing idle

Bike
    03 600RR

bouncing idle

ive got a 03 cbr 600rr with a d+d exhaust on it.
    with the stock exhaust it didnt have a bouncy idle, but with the d+d the rev bounces only at idle bout 2-400rpm.
    is this something that needs to be fixed with a power commander or getting it jetted? ive only heard of the term "jetted", but dont know what it means or where i can get it done.
    any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.
    Last edited by nvasion; 07-31-2007 at 04:47 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    Good luck trying to jet your bike. It's impossible. But the good news is it's impossible for a reason - you have fuel injection A powercommander would be a good move if you're using an aftermarket exhaust - it'll make the engine run a whole lot smoother, and it should get rid of the "bounging" / bouncing idle
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

Bike
    03 600RR
    how come some after market exhausts causes the idle to bounce and some dont? cuz my buddys yosh exhaust dosent make his idle bounce at all.
    i dont think this would cause it, but i have a double tip exhaust.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    D&D's are seriously noisy exhausts that have less backpressure than the Yosh systems generally do. It's the lack of back pressure that is causing your idle problem and it'll take a Power Commander and the right map load to fix it.

There's another option. If you were to fit some insert DB Killers or similar then you'd up your system's back pressure slightly and probably kill the idle issue. As a nice side bonus you're system would be a little bit quieter. Still funky but not stupidly painful to your ears noisy.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    03 600RR
    yeah i had a db killer/silencer on it before, but the rivots broke off. might eventually put them back on since it did idle a bit smoother before (~200 dif.)
    is back pressure bad, in my situation? yeah d+d is loud, but with ear plugs, its not so bad.

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    Back pressure is good for lower in the rpm, but it holds back the top end, and vice-versa. This is why a lot of bikes have a butterfly valve in the exhaust system to help create back pressure at lower rpm's, which then opens when the engine speed increases to help with more top end power. Google "ex-up valve"
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

Bike
    03 600RR
    where would a good place be for me to bring my bike to to get it it mapped? and how much does one usually cost?