BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

'05 Gsxr 750 Cct

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Hershey 
#1 ·
Well, I'm hearing a slight rattling sound from the cam chain at cold start up. The sound diminishes as the bike warms up and is completely gone by the time I hop on. It appears the spring in the stock automatic CCT has lost some tension. From what I've read, this is a relatively common occurance which does not cause any harm for now; nevertheless, the rattling sound drives me crazy. So I'm going to swap out the OEM CCT for an APE manual and be done with the rattling once and for all.

Anybody done this? It doesn't look very difficult to swap it out, but to get the correct tension could take some time.

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
it would be reverse of what you describe if it was the chain and tensioner making noise. your chain stretches as it warms as metal does so the noise would get worse as it warms up. how many K's do you have on the 05?? as for a common occurance, don't think it is on Zooks. Honda mebbe but not Zooks. my one Gixxer had 63,000K's on it before the chain needrd replacing.

#4 ·
i had cct problem on f4i before (well they all did :rolleyes ) and ya the rattling-like noise would be there regardles of the engine temperature, but it was only noticeable at certain rpm (think it was ~ 4500). i don't know, could be different with zuks.

#6 ·
Well, my cct is nowhere near being shot fortunately. I just noticed the rattling last night and it's (the cam chain) only audible for a very short time (~10 sec). I figure that once the oil starts pumping through and coating the chain the sound goes away, so i'm not all that concerned about any damage arising yet. I just like my bike to purr when i hit the start button... I'm a bit anal about my bike. :rockon

#7 ·
Well, mine isn't "shot" per se... My bike is a 93 CBR600F2 with the inherently ferbunked CCT. It only has 29k on it but all of the F1, F2, F3, F4 and F4i's have crap CCT's.

I'm the same way as you, any little noise and I go crazy. A fairing squeak or rattle, valve noise, airbox rumble... it all bugs me to no end.

Where are you getting your APE from? I tried ebay but only 2 people had one for my bike, one is overpriced and apparently the other one wont fit my bike because it's only good from 87-92 :banghead

#8 ·
Dead easy. Unbolt the OEM CCT, probably 3 bolts. Pull it out and save the gasket, put it in place on the manual CCT. I used some additional gasket sealer goopy shit to make sure there would be a perfect seal again when I reinstalled the manual piece. Manual CCT probably only uses 2 bolts.

Start the bike and let it idle. Tighten the CCT until you hear the engine RPM start to lower, then back it off slightly. You're done, go riding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.