GSX-R750 K7 - First service
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GSX-R750 K7 - First service

Bike
    2007 GSX-R750... *sadly destroyed*

Exclamation GSX-R750 K7 - First service

So i've got 940km on my gixxer and im heading in soon for the service. A couple of questions....

1) Is it ok to go over the 1000km mark by say 100km?
    2) My front wheel now squeals when i move it or when I brake. I saw that a patch of the brake disc wasn't oiled? and it seemed like it was rubbing causing the noise. Anyone had that before?
    3) Just recently, when I accelerate normally from a stop I hear a couple little ticks and it sounds like its coming from the chassis or front forks area. Also when I hit some bumps I hear the same tick. Anyone know what that is? It doesn't seem normal.

I'm really particular about the bike and want to make sure its running top notch!

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

King of the money pits... Array
    Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by italy430 View Post
    So i've got 940km on my gixxer and im heading in soon for the service. A couple of questions....

1) Is it ok to go over the 1000km mark by say 100km?
    2) My front wheel now squeals when i move it or when I brake. I saw that a patch of the brake disc wasn't oiled? and it seemed like it was rubbing causing the noise. Anyone had that before?
    3) Just recently, when I accelerate normally from a stop I hear a couple little ticks and it sounds like its coming from the chassis or front forks area. Also when I hit some bumps I hear the same tick. Anyone know what that is? It doesn't seem normal.

I'm really particular about the bike and want to make sure its running top notch!

Thanks!

To answer your questions.

1) yes it is fine to go over the 1000 kms.

2/3) The main reason of the first 1000kms service is to bring the bike back to the way it was off the showroom floor. When you buy something new, it is bound to have things loosen, hoses/cables stretch a little bit etc. Think about rope for instance... when you take it out of the package, it is tight and strong. But over time it starts to stretch. This is like anything on a new bike/car. Im sure to whoever you take it to will make sure everything is in tip-top shape on your bike.

mike was taken Array
    Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon View Post
    The main reason of the first 1000kms service is to bring the bike back to the way it was off the showroom floor.
    actually it's to change the oil after break in as it will be full of metal from the rings and bores

King of the money pits... Array
    Bike
    None
    uhh.. I work in the service dept. at *unnamed dealership*. Don't tell me what is done in the first service . It seems every time I post up on this site recently...mostly to help someone else, along comes another person trying to correct me on my "mis information." I know what I'm talking about. Working day in/out in a shop... you actually learn a few things
    Last edited by falcon; 08-06-2007 at 12:11 AM.

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    Ermm ... I would have said it's both ...
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

Super Addict Array
    Bike
    Got One!
    I have also noticed a click/clunk from my front suspension when unloading it and then either breaking hard or just decellerating, but in order to reproduce the sound I must first unload the front suspension. Since I had the stock setup tuned at RMR I no longer have the annoying clunk.

The first service covers the oil change (as was said, to remove the break in oil that is full of contaminates) also to tighten up fairing bolts, engine mount bolts, check wiring harnessess and hoses. I just had my service done a little over a week ago on my K7 750 and thats all that was done.

mike was taken Array
    Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon View Post
    uhh.. I work in the service dept. at *unnamed dealership*. Don't tell me what is done in the first service . It seems every time I post up on this site recently...mostly to help someone else, along comes another person trying to correct me on my "mis information." I know what I'm talking about. Working day in/out in a shop... you actually learn a few things
    I didn't say they didn't do the other stuff, I said the most important part is the oil change. A reason not to go far over 1000km before getting it done.

Jackie Chan's stuntdouble Array Motorcycle Man's Avatar
    Bike
    CBR600 F4
    Quote Originally Posted by italy430 View Post
    I saw that a patch of the brake disc wasn't oiled?
    Oil on your brakes is bad. Do not oil your brakes.

Bike
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R 750
    hey, i'm at the same clicks on my gixxer, and i have noticed a consistent ticking noise that goes along with the engine speed. previous paranoia reminds me of a camshaft chain that would get sloppy on an old honda, but like someone said earlier, hopefully gixxers just make that noise.
    and sofar i'd say one out of every 25 take-offs there is a slight hesitation and a very very quite 'ping' or 'tick'. does this ever happen to you? there should not be oil on your brake pads.
    italy 430, i think i met you once outside of the robson starbucks on a fireworks day...we have the same bike. did you get your bike from jimmy pattison?
    this is my first bike that is not atleast 10 years old already so i am extremely picky and paranoid as well. when you get a service done please post where you had it done and what the mechanic's response to the ticking noises. thanx and ride hard

Fuelled by rice Array racerboy88's Avatar
    Bike
    Derbi
    just tell the mechanic all the noises you hear
    02 R1- stolen Nov 24/02

Hang Thieves

Bike
    2007 GSX-R750... *sadly destroyed*
    Quote Originally Posted by rio View Post
    hey, i'm at the same clicks on my gixxer, and i have noticed a consistent ticking noise that goes along with the engine speed. previous paranoia reminds me of a camshaft chain that would get sloppy on an old honda, but like someone said earlier, hopefully gixxers just make that noise.
    and sofar i'd say one out of every 25 take-offs there is a slight hesitation and a very very quite 'ping' or 'tick'. does this ever happen to you? there should not be oil on your brake pads.
    italy 430, i think i met you once outside of the robson starbucks on a fireworks day...we have the same bike. did you get your bike from jimmy pattison?
    this is my first bike that is not atleast 10 years old already so i am extremely picky and paranoid as well. when you get a service done please post where you had it done and what the mechanic's response to the ticking noises. thanx and ride hard
    hey.. yea i bought from jim pat.. i don't think i have the same problem as you, i get a couple ticks as i accelerate from a stop which the guys at jim pat think has to do with the breaks and i just need to break them in more. they said doing 60 or 70kph and then load and squeeze the breaks so you stop pretty hard... you wanna heat up the break pads and then let them cool and repeat a couple times.

i've got about 2200km now and im now hearing a slight ticking noise in the engine as its running, you can hear it 24/7.. i've heard gixxers are noisy but since im picky i'll prob get it checked out soon

Bike
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R750
    I think I'm reaching close to 8000 or 9000kms these days and after break-in, tune-up, riden my '07 750 so hard that I should've been on the track racing and am now on my second rear tire; I've had all the signs of worries that you have had (except the clicking front suspension thing, I'll have to pay closer attention to that during my next ride).
    The brake squeak goes away eventually, thanks to some swift laps through some switch backs up past pemberton, and a 5 day riding adventure through the Kootney's (3100km done on that trip); I still have loud valve train noise today. I'm pretty sure its just the Gixer way.

And if you refer to your Gixer manual that you got with your bike, it tells you everything you should service and when to do it. I still have to check my head bearings one of these days....
    Where the world's fast, you move faster!

RIP guthrie and lisa Array jacky's Avatar
    Bike
    2006CBR600RR
    falcons correct
    the first service is a basic service wait for your second service for tightening of the loose inner parts
    Banhammer OlympicsBanhammer OlympicsBanhammer A million $ body and a food stamp face OlympicsBanhammer OlympicsBanhammer Olympics

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750
    hey, just curious, does your 07 gsxr750 fuel light come on blinking after around 170km since you fill up your tank? Mine does and I believe I still have more than 5 litres gas left in the reserve.... I have an 06 gsxr750.

Bike
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R750
    Hey guys, so I had a hard ride out and up to St Helens and back, paying attention to the clicking/clunking noise some of you are complaining about in relation to the front end. Mine's not making any noises and is working flawlessly, but I do think that you might be suffering from a loose head stock bearing adjustment. I've had this situation on a previous gixer of mine and that's what it was.
    And to answer the fuel light question: the blinking fuel light will be first apparent before later, when it goes to a steady light. I've done as little as 50km of hard riding to 70km of highway riding on the fuel light count up odometer.
    Where the world's fast, you move faster!