Another reminder about the jewel of the North...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Another reminder about the jewel of the North...

Registered User Array
    Bike
    04 Kawi ZRX 1200R

Another reminder about the jewel of the North...

Spent all day yesterday on holy ground, namely the Nisgaa' Highway (or 113) out of Terrace. I made a post about this earlier in the year with some pix, so there is nothing really new here but I am still so pumped about the ride I simply had to remind everyone about this juicy piece of road.

It is just about 100km from Terrace to New Aiyansh, you can continue on all the way to Gincolx on the coast for bonus points too because that is all paved afresh now as well. The road out of Terrace has some sections that are frost heaved up that provide plenty of 'thrills' for those with a penchant to speed, however once you hit the new pavement you will know it. There were only a couple of corners with gravel pulled onto them, in all cases the visibility was good and there was a lot of warning. Other than that, pure bliss... We are talking about high speed shenanigans here, this is as close to a race track as anyone will see on the open road. The speed limit is 70 kph through-out most of the way, keep this in mind because can easily double it (at least) even in the twistiest sections if you aren't 'careful' not to keep an eye on your speedometer (right?!).

If you go, make sure you are in the right frame of mind and soul because there is no room for error on this road. It is a holy place and a get off will suffer no fools. The scenery is second to none, with craggy mountains, icy green lakes, lava fields, etc. You are more likely to run into bears (both black bears and grizzlies) than you are deer, but razor sharp peepers are a must here. As far as what else to watch out for, I never saw a single popo in 1000km of riding yesterday but it is only a matter of time. Are they going to ignore a bike laid down at 2.5 times the speed limit in the middle of nowhere? Who knows? It would be worth the speeding ticket regardless.

I can't stress this enough - you haven't rode BC if you haven't been up this highway. Unlike places like the tight 'n twisty New Denver to Kaslo stretch, this is extreme sweepers that call for redline shifts from 3rd to 4th with your heart in your throat and your balls swingin' in the wind. I find the way in is a warm-up, and after gassing up and stopping to reflect on life's visissitudes the return trip is when I bounce off both my rev limiter and the limits of common sense.

One thing to watch out for, the locals have absolutely no clue when it comes to letting a bike by on this road. I am flabbergasted beyond the point of mere road rage when someone is so incredibly dense that they won't move over 8 inches, let off on the gas for all of 5 seconds, and signal for a bike to pass on a road where they damn well know there isn't a dotted line for the next 50 fucking miles. What are they thinking? In all sincerity I honestly believe it should be legal, lawful - no, downright responsible - in this situation to be able to pull a gun and open fire at will in this situation. Just spray bullets until they either get the hint or their vehicle is crippled to the point where they tumble end over end in a fireball wreck that can be seen from the International Space Station.

Here is the Google Maps link to this road, I laugh my ass off at the 50 bikes a day I see toodle by my house on the way to Alaska that are blissfully ignorant of what lays just out of their untouchable itinerary (hell, the R1200GS poseurs could make a loop out of it through Nass Camp back to 97). I tell these guys every day, precious few listen. Apparentely they like the 500km of perfectly straight road they will be riding that day instead - and I am not kidding highway 97 up to Meziadan is a backup runway for airliners or the military.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...70801&z=9&om=1

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Ride the winds of change Array scooter's Avatar
    Bike
    Adventure and Sport
    Pictures !

Bike
    Ninja 1000
    Wow... Thanks for the great info. We definitely need pictures in this thread!

That is REALLY far north. That is a three day trip minimum. It is going to have to be next year for me. I wish I had known about this earlier this year. The road sounds like pure heaven. I hope the winter doesn't erode it too much.

Registered User Array savagebovine's Avatar
    Bike
    '06 GSXR 750
    man I wish I knew about this road 3 weeks ago, as i was just in smithers with access to my father in laws motorcycle.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    04 Kawi ZRX 1200R
    There are a couple of pix of the road in this thread I made earlier in the year:

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88064

Honestly, though... I mean well and bring my camera with me everywhere I go, but... Who has time to stop and take pictures? You would have to literally stop every 2 minutes and hike off the road here and there to get shots of corners, never mind scenery. Once you are rolling at warp 7 on a road like this, trust me you aren't going to be stopping for anything short of a police blockade (and maybe not then either am I right?)

For those guys that live in the Northwest, you have no excuse - get out of your chair right now and head up there while we still have some shabby excuse of a summer. For those down south, just keep it in mind and do a trip at some point that encompasses everything in the North - the Nisgaa' all the way to Gincol'x, the highway from Chetwynd through Hudson's Hope to Dawson Creek, the Barkerville road, all the way from Hazelton to Prince Rupert...

Bike
    Ninja 1000
    Here is the WHOLE route Kaibosh is talking about.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...82532&z=9&om=1

hmmm how to plan this ride next year.... IS 2008 RIDING SEASON HERE YET?

Bike
    Ktm 1190,ThruxtonR 1200'Drz4

Talking

Done it so many times now,that i have lost count .But please lets keep it to ourselves Kaibosh,If too many squids start using this road, there will soon be increased police presence.

Bike
    Triumph Daytona 600
    So close, yet so far.
    Made it in to Terrace the other day, but got side-tracked while visiting relatives. A definite to do next opportunity.
    How the hell did I miss your earlier ride report???
    Last edited by immortal; 08-22-2007 at 08:08 PM.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    04 Kawi ZRX 1200R
    lol, last year I saw some total squid rollin' shirtless in Terrace on a black Triumph 600... Was that you?

Bike
    Triumph Daytona 600
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiBosh View Post
    lol, last year I saw some total squid rollin' shirtless in Terrace on a black Triumph 600... Was that you?
    No...not me.
    Shirtless??? I don't even do that at the beach.

Bike
    Ninja 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by newbusa View Post
    Done it so many times now,that i have lost count .But please lets keep it to ourselves Kaibosh,If too many squids start using this road, there will soon be increased police presence.
    That is way to far for a squid to venture. Actually I DARE squids to take a ride that far!

To do that route from Vancouver right to Ginglox it would take 4 days averaging 700kms. If you skipped Ginglox it would still be a full three days. 2008 July long weekend looks like a good time to do it. *sigh* so far away.

Bike
    Ktm 1190,ThruxtonR 1200'Drz4
    Love that road.If i lived in Terrace,i would do that road every night after work,and therefore would be divorced I actually like the rough part before the lake ,but the corners around Lava lake are very sweet as well Sightlines on the way to Kinkolith from Greenville are very iffy, making that part a little risky at speed.

Don't be stupid. Array Sikorsky's Avatar
    Bike
    KTM
    Quote Originally Posted by newbusa View Post
    Love that road.If i lived in Terrace,i would do that road every night after work.
    Maybe then you'd be a little quicker. Although when I passed you on my ST1300 and George passed you on his K75S you weren't too slow, just slow enough to hold up the fast guys. Practice makes perfect, don't give up. If you get a little more experience under your belt you'll see there are no problems at all with the sightlines.

Of course once the road opened up 35 km later from the twisty, technical stuff to the 2 mile straights you were able to squid, oops I meant squirt, past on that Gixxer thou in a truly squid like demonstration of horsepower.

Do I need to mention the ST1300 is 125HP and 720 lbs, while the K75S was a 1988 model that was factory rated at 75HP and 505lbs with 125 000KM on the clocks? What's the Gixxer? 150HP and 400 lbs? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm ........ makes a person wonder about things ...........

But yes Kaibosh, it is a stunning road that sees little or no traffic. As for the people who don't pull over ..... dropping 2 gears when the opportunity arises make quick work of them. It just sucks in the meantime having slower traffic in front ruining the ride, whether they are on 2 wheels or 4.
    Last edited by Sikorsky; 08-26-2007 at 06:01 PM. Reason: spelling and punctuation
    The difference between you and me .........

Bike
    Ninja 1000
    Would it make sense to access this road via port hardy???

Posing with conviction Array heisenberg9's Avatar
    Bike
    anyone I can lean against
    The original report and photos of KaiBosh's trip can be found here.