I'm tired about reading about hard working people losing their bikes to scum bags. The industry does shit, ICBC is useless and seems happy to pay out and ding everyone, and they're both too stund to see that it cost them big time in the end. And us. People quit riding, insurance rates scare riders away, creeps don't buy the parts and motors they need, and us regular guys pay the price. Bullshit.
How about this:
1) the serial number of the engine should/must be part of the ownership, printed on your ownership slip. This would eliminate a huge part of the worth of a stolen bike. My favorite idea.
2) anyone caught with stolen bikes, or engines, would/should have their business, export, inspection station, sales, shipping, etc licence cancelled when convicted. 5 years sounds fare.
3) anyone convicted of theft or possesion, any vehicle or engine, should have an automatic licence suspension for 5 years for the first offence, progressive for second offence. They obviously don't think the ability to ride or drive is worthwhile, so by their own opinion, take the bus!
4) shops should be part of a network, posting info about stolen bikes, parts, equipment, etc, ASAP, where all can see. Like the Better Busines Bureau, the sticker on the door (if they join) would let us know they follow our plan. Rid the country of thieving scum plan that is ;-)
5) After an accident, where major damage is noted, why not ask for bills, pictures, something, before reregistering the bike for the road? If you sell a vehicle in the low tax bracket, they have no problem asking questions about proof!
6) no taxes on theft reducing devices!
7) no racing licence to anyone convicted of theft for 5 years.
8) post thefts here, there, everywhere, and reduce the profit margin available to scumbags.
9) remind members that buying is supporting, whatever the product or service, so DON"T.
Okay, it's just a humble opinion, mine only, and I'm sure there will be a rush to point out what is illegal and stupid, or silly, but as I don't steal, and never have, why would I worry? And, I wouldn't shop anywhere that condones it. After I've looked into the face of someone who won't or can't ride anymore, because some scum bag just ripped off their bike, I don't give a shit. Thieves are scum.
I'll provide the wood!