Rockclimbing
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rockclimbing

Registered User Array
    Bike
    i have one

Rockclimbing

Hey guys, i'm taking my first indoor rock climbing course tomorrow. i've been wanting to try this now for over a year, and pretty excited...not sure how i will do hundreds of feet up, but we'll see!

anyone climb, or know of any good sites of forums with info. i'm going to need to find a partner or two i can rely on so i can improve my skills as well. thanks!

just having fun Array
    Bike
    not red
    what happened to riding?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    i have one
    Quote Originally Posted by sushigrl View Post
    what happened to riding?
    Oh i'm going to do both i'm going to have some free time on my hands too, and sadly the season is almost over, so the plan is to practice climbing indoors all winter. should be fun!

Bike
    K5 GSX-R600
    Try http://www.halcyonclimbing.com for forums. You won't be climbing 'hundreds of feet up'. Not yet, at least.
    • He who dares not offend, cannot be honest.
    • The whole religious complexion of the modern world is due to the absence from Jerusalem of a lunatic asylum.

Bike
    1987 Ninja 600R
    if you have an extra couple bucks get all your own stuff right away. a 60m rope, some slings and beaners along with harness and shoes obviously and get outside. Theres nothing like being on the slab. Way better than indoors. Don't be afraid to head up to squamish or even just lighthouse park, you only need 1 person who knows how to set up a top rope, its not hard. Be careful about riding there though, the clutch becomes a dreadful beast after a day of climbing.

Bike
    K5 GSX-R600
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrock View Post
    you only need 1 person who knows how to set up a top rope, its not hard.
    Famous last words. I'd get some indoor climbing under my belt first. I've seen too many people passing anchor setup tests, and doing extremely stupid thing afterwards. Big difference between setting up anchors, and setting up safe anchors.

Same problem as riding - if they mess up and you're near, you're supposed to clean up the mess after them.

The rope can wait until spring, but shoes and harness are definitely a good idea. The rental stuff you get at gyms is usually crap.
    • The whole religious complexion of the modern world is due to the absence from Jerusalem of a lunatic asylum.

Bike
    It's a marvel of engineering
    Yeah, what cuski said. The Rope can wait. But an ATC or stitch plate, along with a couple of Biners. A chock bag, and maybe a daisy chain. and of course the harness and an allround shoe.

cheers
    Catching a Yellow Jacket in your shirt @ 70mph can double your vocabulary

Registered User Array
    Bike
    i have one
    cool. i'll have to go look around for some shoes...not too much spare cash at the moment however, especially if i get a gym pass...i figured indoor would be good for over the winter, then i'll be ready to hit the outdoors come spring. thanks guys

Bike
    K5 GSX-R600
    MEC always has a good starter package. Just checked right now, and you can get a harness, chalk bag and ATC for $78, plus - 10% off the price of shoes AND harness if you buy shoes as well.

Link

Registered User Array
    Bike
    i have one
    Quote Originally Posted by cuski View Post
    MEC always has a good starter package. Just checked right now, and you can get a harness, chalk bag and ATC for $78, plus - 10% off the price of shoes AND harness if you buy shoes as well.

Link
    thanks cuski, just saw that...pretty good deal. i will go check them out this weekend

Beer League Racer/Asshole Array SnoDragon's Avatar
    Bike
    MTS1200S
    Remember, when choosing climbing shoes, if you can walk comfortably in them, you chose a size too big. You should barely be able to walk in them! But you can climb like hell in those shoes.
    WMRC #42
    Sponsors:
    MSpeed Performance
    Motorcycle World
    RMR Suspensions

~If you can't change your situation, change your attitude. If you can't change your attitude, change your situation~

Volvo Snow Plow Driver Array SpongeMonster's Avatar
    Bike
    Loud Nasty and Sorta In Control
    I'm fairly new to climbing as well. Turns out we've got some super good stuff in Vernon right near where i live. It's all outdoors unless you go to Kelowna. One of my riding buddies has a bouldering room in his basement that is pretty slick and wow much more difficult than most outdoor climbing.

Bike
    sportbike... pfffft!
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoDragon View Post
    Remember, when choosing climbing shoes, if you can walk comfortably in them, you chose a size too big. You should barely be able to walk in them! But you can climb like hell in those shoes.

yep, i normally wear about an 11.5-12 shoe and i bought a size 8 climbing shoe. at first it hurts and you will be taking them off quite a bit but they stretch and mold to your foot so you gotta buy tight otherwise you will be looking for new shoes within a few months. i shoulda stayed climbing but bikes and distance (2.5 hours to sqamish) got in the way. ah well, its a great sport

Bike
    '06 ninja500 (RIP Guido)'04 600 RR (RIP Marv) '03 600RR (SOLD) Saving for the next bike-donations accepted
    not sure if they're still open but Vertical Reality here in surrey was a good indoor climbing place, decent prices, too. and they did group deals. and someone told me once that women have an easier time of it, so long as you remember to keep your hips close to the wall/surface for balance
    ~~~*****~~~
    The hours go shorter as the days go by
    We never get to stop and open our eyes
    One minute you're waiting for the sky to fall
    And next you're dazzled by the beauty of it all...
    Lovers in a dangerous time

~~~*****~~~

Bike
    1987 Ninja 600R
    You want to climb like a girl.

and its not like I said go buy a rope and see if oyu can figure it out. if oyu go with someone who knows you will be fine. By know I mean, knows how to safely set anchors. Money and time however are good reasons to climb indoors, and thats totally cool.

I very much prefer climbing outside, I find it involves more problem solving and less powering through things. Fact is when you climb indoors the routes tell you what holds to use, and so its just to see if oyu can do it, not to test you mentally on the best way to do it aside from minor body adjustments.

Climbing indoors is great, and its good to know you're not afraid of a 10 meter wall before you get 30 meters up at the smoke bluffs, but as far as practicing all winter, its not necessary in my opinion, its an amazing way to spend a day outside, whereas with indoors i'm usually there for an hour or 2 and then gone.

I might be saying all this because I was once a little too comfortable indoors, and hesitated to go outdoor climbing, but the second I got on real slab I realized what climbing is really all about.

be safe and have fun.
    Last edited by Adrock; 09-06-2007 at 08:37 PM.