Fork seals leaking? How much $$$
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fork seals leaking? How much $$$

Bike
    soon

Fork seals leaking? How much $$$

Hey I just got an 02 YZF250 a while ago. I had it out for my first full day and now the right front fork seal appears to be leaking oil. I looked it up in the shop manual and it says it's recommended this service be done by a dealership. How serious is this, and how much $$$ am I lookin at?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Kayden07
    its not that its serious its just parts and pieces need to be put in a certain way and proper amount of oil aswell as pouring it in in a certain way. Bottom line if you don't know what your doing you could end up doing more damage then good. Most shops (that i know of) charge a up to $75 shop labor plus the price of parts in this case probably $15 $20. i could be wrong tho best thing to do is ask the dealship themselves and see what they say.

Bike
    soon
    thanks Kayden, any idea how long it might take for a shop to do the repairs? I'm gonna phone around a bit tomorrow

back on the street Array lowlife's Avatar
    Bike
    2008 GSXR 750 (race only), 2015 Ninja 1000 (street)
    Call Rod @ RMR Suspensions, he's in Abbotsford, but I think you'll find it's well worth the drive out there...

do a search on here, many happy customers...
    WMRC #97
    EMRA/CMRA #97

Kayden07
    i think shop time was something like 45 mins from start to finish providing every thing goes smoothly... i could be wrong tho.. either way it shouldn't take to long. could drop off your bike, go for a quickie with the misses, have a snack and go biking right after!

Bike
    soon
    awesome, new to the bike thing, i'm used to getting raped on car repairs
    quickies and biking sounds like a plan to me!

Ridin hard n dirty Array Mr.Sushi ya ha's Avatar
    Bike
    bunch "o" bikes
    Try this old trick...if there are no nicks on the legs, get a few business cards and slide one up the fork leg past the seal...tip it slightly so when you spin it around it forces any dirt down and out...if some stuff comes out you might be lucky and the leak will stop. It takes very little dirt to let the seal leak
    Remembering Bill Mclean.
    Having had a colonoscopy......I have now seen where the sun don't shine......(Me)
    Cancer Sucks!!!

Bike
    dirt pig
    ^ the dust cover sometimes get clogged. But prolly the seal is done.

To replace the seal is not that hard, just dirty. The parts will be approx. $20 for the seals, and $15 per fork for oil. Do both forks while you have it stripped. Then when you are done get some 'Pro Bleeders"!!!!! They will save your seals and extend their life.

I say Do it yourself as it will save you $$ and it is a good thing to be able to work on your own bike.

If it's an '02 be sure to pack the linkage bearings with grease and do the head tube bearing while you are at it.
    "Shoot to thrill play to kill
    Too many women too many pills"

AC/DC

Bike
    Ninja 1000
    When I had my fork oil replaced it was an hour of labour + oil. It might be two hours of labour. Call fifth gear. No more than $200?

Bike
    2005 CBR 600RR
    Forks off the bike around $100

Bike
    dirt pig
    Fak, that is a good deal! both fork's seals and oil?
    "Shoot to thrill play to kill
    Too many women too many pills"

AC/DC

Registered User Array
    Bike
    GSXR1000
    I've done what Mr. Sushi recommended a few times and it's always worked. Here's how it's done.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=213525

I use 35mm film negative. After you pull your dust seal down there will probably be dirt in there which is what caused your leak. Make sure you get all the dirt out before you slide in the film negative or whatever else you use. Aerosol contact cleaner works well for cleaning. If you haven't opened your fork bleeder screw in a while, there will be some pressure in your fork. When you slide in whatever you use, the pressure will blow out the dirt with some oil. Don't let too much oil out. When you're done clean off all the oil. If you have trouble reinstalling your dust seal, apply a slight film of grease on it's outside and it should slide right in. If ever you ride in the mud, afterward when you are servicing your bike pull down both dust seals and clean out all the crap and you could prevent future leaking seals
    Last edited by RRAALL; 09-14-2007 at 07:56 PM.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    All bikes

Fork Seals

Our prices are.
    Labour $79.95 plus parts.
    We use either Ohlins oil or Maxima. Comes complete with inspection of valve pistons, polish fork tubes, bushing inspection, set up for your riding style and weight.

Bike
    Viffer
    Of course the seal can leak if the fork is bent.

damn broken leg!!!!!!! Array gixxer_76's Avatar
    Bike
    2007 KX250 Ripper!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rmrsusp View Post
    Our prices are.
    Labour $79.95 plus parts.
    We use either Ohlins oil or Maxima. Comes complete with inspection of valve pistons, polish fork tubes, bushing inspection, set up for your riding style and weight.
    Each side or for the pair?
    Just like a twig, your leg will snap if you smash it into a wall with a 400 Lb bike @ 100+ Km/h. So just don't do it!

http://www.saveonwheelrepair.com