Keeping it straight in the corner?

Thread: Keeping it straight in the corner?

Registered User Array

I have a question for you fast track/street riders. After you lean into a long left hand corner, do you point your front wheel also towards the exit (left)? Or do you just try to keep the front wheel straight and let the leaning angle of the bike do the turning?

2. Remove Advertisements

Wanderer of the Wastes Array DNAspark99's Avatar
    השטן שב
    whoa guy, what?
    technically, you're pushing on the bar in the opposite direction of the turn...
    suggest you do some more homework first
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

2006 Honda CBR 600RR
    do you ride a motorcycle?
    (o'.'o) Thanks to Twinbros Racing for my avatar!

Registered User Array savagebovine's Avatar
    New Westminster
    '06 GSXR 750
    take it easy, its the new riders forum.

push left to go left. that applies for turn in only, and is an initial input. It means push the left bar forward to turn left. Once leaned over you will ease off the pressure on the bar. When exiting you will ever so slightly apply pressure on the right bar and this will straighten you up.

To understand this, go to a parking lot and get a little speed, take hands off the bars, now with your left hand apply a forward force on the bar. You'll start dipping to the left. you'll have to stop applying the force, and then to straighten up, you will have to apply a forward force on the right bar.

This works at all speeds, and on any bicycle as well, but easier to execute at moderate speeds. Many people will disagree. They are wrong. The wikipedia article posted is good info.

Kelowna BC
    93 kaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Tightriding View Post
    I have a question for you fast track/street riders. After you lean into a long left hand corner, do you point your front wheel also towards the exit (left)? Or do you just try to keep the front wheel straight and let the leaning angle of the bike do the turning?
    Ok let me translate. I think the poster means when at high speeds do you depend more on your lean or your countersteering.

More lean = easier to turn. Less lean = harder to turn. Always, you need to give proper input at the handlebars for the speed and turn you are going into, which are supported by your lean and throttle control. So you evaluate the corner, slow or gear accordingly, line up your route, push your bar, lean and control throttle, gas and straighten out.

Hope that makes sense.
    I don't do PM's

Apply brakes.

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    I'll point the front wheel to the left when i'm exiting the corner and i want to straighten up. Otherwise it's at least straight, more likely pointing to the right.
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

Kawasaki Land Rover and a liter-twin
    You don't really point anything in the corner.

Once the input to get the bike to turn is complete you'll be rolling on the throttle throughout the turn. No significant input, or "pointing" will be necessary. Smooth turns are all about getting the inputs right up front, not trying to do things mid corner. That's a recipe for disaster.

The sequence is something like this:

- Shift body while braking for corner making sure load the footpegs evenly (or you bike will be unsettled)
    - Lock outside knee under tank while pushing outside foot into heel guard (different for those who weight their inside leg, separate discussion)
    - Get off the brakes before the next step (this is the new riders forum so no discussion about late braking / trail braking)
    - Provide counter steering input (this really initiates the turn by getting the bike to lean)
    - Apply throttle to shift weight to rear tire (amount varies from wide open throttle on small bikes with low HP to very careful inputs on literbikes).
    - Enjoy a smooth, even turn if setup for the corner was right, no need to make any adjustments
    - Start to stand the bike up, shift weight back over center of bike
    - Repeat as necessary

Remember: Fast is good, but smooth is better.

Edit: Thought I'd add one thing. You should hold the handlebars about as hard as you'd hold two raw eggs and your elbows should be relaxed. This will ensure that if you do hit a bump / dip mid corner, the front end can react appropriately without you pushing into the handlebars, which would upset the bike. Personally, I've found it helpful to bring the outside elbow towards the tank. During hard riding, I'll be over far enough that the outside elbow is actually on the tank which I find helpful. YMMV

2000 CBR 929RR (Angelique)
    ...and...look through the turn. Don't look down or out or up or anywhere but where you want to end up. Where you look is where you go.
    Look as far around the turn as you can and your bike will follow.
    Smooth is the key. That's some damn good advice.
    My shoulder check IS my turn signal.

North of 49
    06 CRF450R sold XR650R :(
    Jeckyll has the best info so far. Your best bet is to learn how a bike turn's. Search "counter steering" in this forum lots of good info and people who do not understand countersteering so a bit confusing but just ignore the info from those who don't get it.

Fawn's beta "More lean = easier to turn. Less lean = harder to turn." is a bit off. Lean angle is purely a function of how much speed you have for the radius of the turn you are in. Your bike will have a different lean angle for the same speed and radius depending on where your center of gravity is in relation to the bikes center of gravity. That is your bike will have a greater lean angle if you are sitting in a normal riding position but if you hang off the bike a bit you the bike will have less lean angle. The lean angle of the combined center of gravity of you and the bike will be the same though regardless of how much you lean. When the bike is standing more in the turns the suspension has a better chance of dealing with bumps etc and you can get a bigger contact patch but rarely do you need to hang off on the street.

That does not really matter though because hanging off a bike and lean angle are related to higher speed riding and more often that not not needed on the street but feel good. A poor line will cause a greater lean angle at lower speeds than a good line at higher speeds for the same turn. so your buddy who is scraping his pegs may be slow as shit and just on a bad line. Learn how to pick a good line.

Understand countersteering and don't worry about where things are pointed. Leading with your shoulders will get you through most street riding just fine. Weight your pegs and keep a gentle grip on the bars and get off your ass in the turns. This will give you the most feedback. Look at your brake point, turn in point, apex then exit. Move your vision to the next point just before you cross the one you are focusing on. Learn to see around your peripheral vision without darting your eyes all over the place.

Order Twist of the Wrist II from chapters and read it over as much as you need and try to understand the basics of bike control.

Street sense is a whole new ball game. Always weigh risk and consequence against reward. "hanging off" through a off ramp at 90% with a concrete meridian on the outside may have serious consequences just like running that yellow light with that oncoming car waiting to turn left may have some nasty results. Choose your playground carefully and never assume anything. If you don't crash or get taken out you are doing just fine.

Well that's the end of Newb preaching session for another few months.
    RPM #26

Mission, BC
    2004 R1, 2005 DL1000 V-Strom
    Buy and read Keith Code's twist of the wrist.
    Reformatted to fit your screen.