Question about graphics card performance
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Question about graphics card performance

Fast Pack Slow Guy Array Tattoodles's Avatar
    Bike
    A privileged sufferer settling for an Italian motorcycle

Question about graphics card performance

Got a questions for the computer peeps amongst us. I'm hoping that I can get a little advice.

I recently picked up a new computer - Intel dual core processor, 3GB RAM and a Radeon X1650 graphics card. I assumed that this would be enough processing power to run newer games with fairly bumped up resolution.

I made sure my driver was up to date on my graphics card and I ensured that DirectX was installed.

But the games I've been running have been performing poorly, even with the resolution settings set fairly low, such as 800x600 with most games set at the 'medium' graphics processing level. I'm thinking that there's an issue somewhere, something that I've overlooked that's not letting me run my games at the resolution and speed I'd prefer.

Any suggestions on what to investigate?
    My bike is so much faster than yours that I dare you to ride it, you lame little turd. Do you have the balls to ride this BOTTOMLESS PIT OF TORQUE?

~Hunter S. Thompson

Takin it like a $10 Whore Array newbster_rider's Avatar
    Bike
    750Bitches!!
    Have you downloaded the latest Ati catalyst control center and drivers?
    Also, turn off firewalls, anti-virus,etc. Then check if the performance is better.
    I have the same GC and i usually play Battlefield 2142 on med grafix resolution just to get some extra performance.

My two cents....

Bike
    Thanks. Yep, I DL'ed the latest Ati Catalyst and drivers. I'll try your other suggestions.
    My bike is so much faster than yours that I dare you to ride it, you lame little turd. Do you have the balls to ride this BOTTOMLESS PIT OF TORQUE?

~Hunter S. Thompson

Posing with conviction Array heisenberg9's Avatar
    Bike
    anyone I can lean against
    Hmmm. The newer ATI Catalyst drivers are known to resource hogs and buggy. I backed down to 7.2 of Catalyst drivers on a recent rebuild of Windows machine with a ATI 9800 AIW Card (older than yours). I didn't install any of the media center crap because it just bogged the machine down hogging memory and resources on a previous build of the machine.

With that setup your machine should handle any game you throw at it with 800 x 600 resolution.

Do you have Norton or McAfee installed? Both tend to slow machines down and hog CPU cycles.

If the machine is new, in other words not a lot of time invested in installing stuff, I would put on your list to do a clean install again of Windows.

Also could be a conflict in the BIOS. Was the ATI card part of the purchase? If not you might have built in video turned on which could be causing confilcts with your ATI card. I generally go into the BIOS and turn shit off that I am not using like built in stuff on motherboard that could be hogging resources or creating a potential conflict.

I'd wait for others to chime in before erasing your hardrive with a clean install There may be something specific to your video card that only a few know about.

The Comedy is in the Back Array Saturnin's Avatar
    Bike
    bro, do you even ride in a straight line? #1 asshole
    yah the new 7.9 cat driver is shit..dont get it..u can find omega drivers

i'm runing a x1600 pro card with p4 3.2 and i can run games @ 1207xwhatever... try to get the 7.8 or under drivers for max performance or the omega drivers.
    Throttle Trauma 3 - Stunt riding documentary - digital download - visit Asphaltjunkiez.com
    The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.

Bike
    05 CBR 600RR
    buy a 2nd card.. crossfire them

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturnin View Post

i'm runing a x1600 pro card with p4 3.2 and i can run games @ 1207xwhatever... try to get the 7.8 or under drivers for max performance or the omega drivers.
    Hmmm... no Omega drivers for Vista yet, it seems. I'll look in to rolling back my current driver.

~Hunter S. Thompson

Bike
    Rolling back my driver to v.7.7 seemed to improve things a little.

~Hunter S. Thompson

The Comedy is in the Back Array Saturnin's Avatar
    Bike
    bro, do you even ride in a straight line? #1 asshole
    there is your prollem VISTA lol.... ugh... install XP pro and be done wif it...
    Throttle Trauma 3 - Stunt riding documentary - digital download - visit Asphaltjunkiez.com
    The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.

Posing with conviction Array heisenberg9's Avatar
    Bike
    anyone I can lean against
    there is your prollem VISTA lol.... ugh... install XP pro and be done wif it...
    I stayed on Win98 almost until SP2 of XP for this very reason. Too many really great games didn't work or were hobbled running them on the current version of Windows. Anyway Adam is probably committed to Vista. He should try and make it work. Maybe a dual boot machine is in the cards running both XP and Vista.

You like popsicles? Array Hogie's Avatar
    Bike
    huh?
    it's that intel core :P

Worst. Passenger. Ever. Array ace`'s Avatar
    Bike
    Blue
    A coworker of mine has a HTPC based around Vista and a RADEON 2400 Pro. He had stuttering issues when playing back high def content with Aero on. Not sure if this affects 3D apps but you may want to turn down the desktop eye candy and see if that affects things any.

Bike
    I'm having a feeling that crossfiring graphics card scenario is in my future.
    Anyhow, I'm going to try installing one of my games on my old machine - a P4 with a Radeon 9800 using XP. I have a suspicion that it'll run better on the old machine than with Vista running the show.
    Last edited by Tattoodles; 09-19-2007 at 12:19 AM.

~Hunter S. Thompson

RIP guthrie and lisa Array jacky's Avatar
    Bike
    2006CBR600RR

Beat me 2 it!

Omega drivers are usually better than the glitchy ATI ones!
    Vista might be your issue!
    Should try using an external memory stick maxing out your memory. I did and it worked really good for gaming for me in the past with vista ultimate (takes the load of alot of things especially running vista)

Im running these and they work wicked!
    OCZ Rally 2 High Performance 4GB USB2.0 Dual Channel Flash Memory Drive
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...y&promoid=1020
    Vista likes some and dislikes some so ask and review before buying them...
    Last edited by jacky; 09-19-2007 at 12:24 AM.
    Banhammer OlympicsBanhammer OlympicsBanhammer A million $ body and a food stamp face OlympicsBanhammer OlympicsBanhammer Olympics

Registered User Array radmtrbkr's Avatar
    Bike
    Gravity Warp Drive
    I'm running vista64 with no probs. I haven't tried to install and run many programs but insofar it works fine.

You might want another gig of ram if your mobo will take it.

Crossfire and SLI are overrated and when you run two top of the line cards six months later a new one is released that blows away the two combined.

Is this a prebuilt comp?