side exhaust vs undertail exhaust
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: side exhaust vs undertail exhaust

Posing Poser/Poser Posing Array 1q3er5's Avatar
    Bike
    sv 650

side exhaust vs undertail exhaust

I think undertail exhausts make bikes look better but I noticed that Kawasaki went back to a side exhaust from an undertail on the zx-10.

I hear undertail exhausts tend to heat up the seats, just wonder what are the advantages/disadvantages of each type.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    Undertails are hotter (especially in the summer), brings the CofG higher, but look better (at least i think so). Keeps the bike symmetrical. They may have brought it back to the side so they can fit a larger can due to ever tightening emissions standards
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

it was bigger yesterday Array JOWAGE's Avatar
    Bike
    wingedchariotofawsomeness
    undertail exhausts are stoopid now that they can get similar emissions and noise levels down in a belly style pipe .

side exhausts are just as bad ,but at least they dont put the weight up high and in the back like an undertail.

buell (yes i said buell) had it right with thier exhaust system .under the bike ,no heat ,no weight in weird places issues ,lower COG ,less money in the end since they dont need another 3 feet of pipe and it hidden like it should be .You want a sticker or a badge to be showing ?put it on yur ass,it does just as much good.

What we play is life. Array RiceRocket's Avatar
    Bike
    '02 Honda VFR
    I think one of the advantages of undertail is passengers, if you plan on taking them for a ride, don't have to worry about burning their legs on the pipe.

With an undertail you don't have to worry about damaging the pipe if you drop it but not sure if it'll cost more to fix plastic or replace a pipe.

The undertail does heat up the seat a bit but I've never found it to bother me...but maybe that's cause I'm never on my seat.

The big complaint about the undertail is it takes away from valuable storage space. For a race bike it's not a concern but for the street it is a bit.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    1989 Honda Cbr250r
    Yeah you can put a sheet of paper in your trunk with an undertail. I have to agree with Jowage on this one. Gives you something nice and hidden, and low center of gravity. I have a side can, and its nice to have some damn storage space. Where the hell can you even put a small rotor lock with an undertail?

Eh Muh Gawd Becky!! Array Purplekawi's Avatar
    Bike
    somethin somethin somethin
    underbelly FTW!!
    That that doesn't kill us forces us to live with a busted up bike!!

Bike
    Soon to be - Custom '08 R1!!!
    you guys are missing the main disadvantage of undertail exhausts...power loss.

it's simple physics - maximum power is achieved when the exhaust gases are allowed to flow in the shortest, straightest possible path as it exits the engine. if you look at the path that an undertail system takes - there are basically four 90 degree curves where the exhaust gases will lose energy. in a side-system, there are 2 curves and one slight bend (pretty much).

one more big disadvantage of undertail systems - weight. think about how much more metal is required to build an undertail exaust (not even considering the fact that there are generally TWO mufflers) vs a side exhaust system.

all things considered, i'd still rather have a bike with an undertail exhaust system

Bike
    anyone know of starcycle exhausts? i saw an 07 R1 on their site, with a side system exhaust from them...holy shit i can't believe how much i creamed for that bike!!!!! sexy as fuck...

Justo

The Comedy is in the Back Array Saturnin's Avatar
    Bike
    bro, do you even ride in a straight line? #1 asshole
    post pics pleb post pics
    Throttle Trauma 3 - Stunt riding documentary - digital download - visit Asphaltjunkiez.com
    The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.

Bike
    how sexy does it look? omg it's SO HOT!!!!

it was bigger yesterday Array JOWAGE's Avatar
    Bike
    wingedchariotofawsomeness
    Quote Originally Posted by jusking3888 View Post
    how sexy does it look? omg it's SO HOT!!!!
    wow ,thats terrible .Did they have to make it that long ?

Thanks for that... Array Miguel's Avatar
    Bike
    Japanese
    I still love my under tails. I hope they don't change it on the RR by the time I buy my second one.
    Mig

RIP guthrie and lisa Array jacky's Avatar
    Bike
    2006CBR600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by jusking3888 View Post
    you guys are missing the main disadvantage of undertail exhausts...power loss.

it's simple physics - maximum power is achieved when the exhaust gases are allowed to flow in the shortest, straightest possible path as it exits the engine. if you look at the path that an undertail system takes - there are basically four 90 degree curves where the exhaust gases will lose energy. in a side-system, there are 2 curves and one slight bend (pretty much).

one more big disadvantage of undertail systems - weight. think about how much more metal is required to build an undertail exaust (not even considering the fact that there are generally TWO mufflers) vs a side exhaust system.

all things considered, i'd still rather have a bike with an undertail exhaust system

Thats kinda wacked.....
    honda cbr's had them they have no power loss i really like the look infact im shooting for an undertail can chopped and its going on a stunt bike for the reasons...
    1. no damage when tossing it
    2. heat pffft im opening the whole rear up
    3. it looks tighter
    4. its gonna be loud chopped it up good aka lighter.
    Banhammer OlympicsBanhammer OlympicsBanhammer A million $ body and a food stamp face OlympicsBanhammer OlympicsBanhammer Olympics

Bike
    no more bike...
    Another disadvantage about undertail exhausts is that it creates a low pressure zone behind the rider or passenger, which has a tendency to collect exhaust gasses. This can cause your gear/clothing to smell like exhaust. Personally, I don't mind it, but I've heard for some people it can cause headaches and other problems.

Becoming Insane Array
    Bike
    Ducati
    Quote Originally Posted by grey ghost View Post
    Another disadvantage about undertail exhausts is that it creates a low pressure zone behind the rider or passenger, which has a tendency to collect exhaust gasses. This can cause your gear/clothing to smell like exhaust. Personally, I don't mind it, but I've heard for some people it can cause headaches and other problems.
    Never had that problem, ever.