The following mind-boggling attempt at a crime spree in Washington, DC appeared to be the robber's first (and last), due to his lack of a previous record of violence, and his terminally stupid choices:
1. His target was H&J Leather & Firearms; A gun shop specializing in handguns.
2. The shop was full of customers - firearms customers.
3. To enter the shop, the robber had to step around a marked police patrol car parked at the front door.
4. A uniformed officer was standing at the counter, having coffee before work.
5. Upon seeing the officer, the would-be robber announced a hold-up, and fired a few wild shots from a target pistol.
6. The officer and a clerk promptly returned fire, the police officer with a 9mm GLOCK, the clerk with a 50 DESERT EAGLE, assisted by armed customers, several of whom also drew and fired.
7. The robber was pronounced dead at the scene by Paramedics. Crime scene investigators located 47 expended cartridge cases in the shop.
8. The subsequent autopsy revealed 23 gunshot wounds. Ballistics identified rounds from 7 different weapons. No one else was hurt in the exchange of fire.