BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Looking for other US bike purchaser!

1K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  smokedvw 
#1 ·
if your purchasing a bike from the US in washington anytime soon give me a PM we can maybe go down together and rent a truck togheter. thanks

#12 ·
dec 1st hmm okay i will see what i can pull out but i am still looking for someone who wants to do it..sometime soon within the month
Why not just wait for a dry day, and ride the bike back yourself? I was looking at taking my trailer, then renting a truck, and finally just hopped on and made the run....dress warm, couple of hours, super easy & fun.

It's best to have a friend follow you....you'll need a ride down anyway, so probably a non-issue.

If you come in Bellingham, store the bike at Pantec, near the truck crossing, and come back in a few days when you are clear to export/import. FYI, no vehicle imports at Peace Arch....must go to Truck Crossing.

I just brought mine back today. US export...less than 5 minutes from when I parked the bike. Canadian import...probably 20 minutes total.

#18 ·
If you come in Bellingham, store the bike at Pantec, near the truck crossing, and come back in a few days when you are clear to export/import.
How much is it to store the bike at Pantec? What are their office hours? Do we supply our own pad lock? I've never rented a self-storage place before. Also, can you fit 2 bikes into 1 storage space?

#16 ·
budget charges like 18 cents a kilometer,
u haul is like 26 cents a kilometer
something like this
if you go to discount truck and car rental and they rented me a brand new silverado taxes in and even insurance to drive to states, up to 5000 kilometers per day. it cost me 92$ kinda pricy but if you work it out for a u haul or budget its gonna match that or so... but call around....

discount is on main and 13th or somehting around there. right near starbucks right near the ford dealership or so....

#17 ·
Cause i am getting my bike all the way from seattle. thats a 3 hour ride haha..i personally dont think..if it rains i would be able to stay dry
Same place I got mine....not a 3hr drive. For what it's worth, the temp was about 11 degrees that day I rode back, and I was fine with lotsa warm gear on.....no rain either.

Getting a nice street bike into a rental truck can be a bit of an undertaking. You need a ramp, tie downs, 2-3 people...experience helps too.

By the time you rent the truck, pay for the gas, pay the premium to drive the km's in the US, get tie-downs, a ramp, it a pain.

I looked at the exact same scenario less than 2 weeks ago when I went to get mine......I was so glad I simply drove it back, it was super easy. I was concerned about weather, and being too cold, but it was a non issue.

If I was purchasing a bike in Portland, this time of year, which I also considered, then yes, the truck or trailer idea would have been a great idea....Seattle tho....way close & easy....keep it simple.........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.