mp3 player advice needed
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: mp3 player advice needed

Bike
    2015 FZ07

mp3 player advice needed

Ok. I'd like to try one of these new-fangled mp3 or ipod players. To give you an idea of how long I've been casting a shadow on this planet, I was the first one in our old gang to have an 8-track.
    To save me the time and aggravation of having it explained to me by some 12 year old ESL sales person in Future Shop, can anyone recommend a decent (not too expensive) unit that I can use both in my car and when riding my bike?

Bike
    Suzuki SV650, 2002
    I like the ipod. It works great plus its cool. I've got the old style ipod nano. There is a newer ipod (well they are always changing) out there. Its about size of a matchbook and just clips on you where ever. It doesn't have a screen but its pretty cheap at about 80 bucks.
    -
    -
    Current:Suzuki SV650, 2002
    Previous:69 Triumph 500, 71 BSA lightning, 73 Triumph Trident, Yamaha DT125, 85 Honda Nighthawk, 88 Harley Sportster, CB 900...hmm I think thats it

Bike
    2015 FZ07
    Isn't there some sort of issue with downloading music and stuff to ipod's that mp3 players don't have?

Bike
    Big and slow
    Well if you use an iPod you are pretty much tied to iTunes. When you upload music to an iPod it converts the music to it's own format so it can't be shared easily. Other mp3 players out there don't use iTunes and many allow for drag and drop with no other interface needed.
    That being said the iPod interface, especially the Touch, is slick.
    Flowbie- Mellowing with age...

Stolen from Atom:
    Being a road crayon sucks....put your gear between you and the pavement.

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    Also, you can use normal mp3 players as data mediums if nothing else is available.
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

Bike
    DRZ400SM
    Quote Originally Posted by flowrider View Post
    Well if you use an iPod you are pretty much tied to iTunes. When you upload music to an iPod it converts the music to it's own format so it can't be shared easily. .
    It does?

Must be a newer version of itunes as my whole ipod library is .mp3 and easily shared.

I can drag and drop songs straight from itunes to an msn window to share with non itunes users.
    Portfolio Site:
    TenguArtwork.com

Registered User Array Jester666's Avatar
    Bike
    1966 Honda Dream305 1976 Honda CB550
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTrack View Post
    Ok. I'd like to try one of these new-fangled mp3 or ipod players. To give you an idea of how long I've been casting a shadow on this planet, I was the first one in our old gang to have an 8-track.
    To save me the time and aggravation of having it explained to me by some 12 year old ESL sales person in Future Shop, can anyone recommend a decent (not too expensive) unit that I can use both in my car and when riding my bike?

I got a Sandisk Sansa for my girl a few months back. She likes it. It's easy, intuitive, and battery life is decent.
    Also, from personal experience pretty much anything from Creative is almost guaranteed to be a good buy.

Posing with conviction Array heisenberg9's Avatar
    Bike
    anyone I can lean against
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
    It does?

Must be a newer version of itunes as my whole ipod library is .mp3 and easily shared.

I can drag and drop songs straight from itunes to an msn window to share with non itunes users.
    Flow is talking about stuff bought from the iTunes store which are encoded in a DRM format with copy protection (you can put it onto something like 5 devices before your sharing licence is capped). MP3's as you mentioned Crass are not converted into a proprietory format when put onto your iPod or into the iTunes player and you can still share as you will.

I would suggest OneTrack get one of the current iPod Nanos. They are relatively inexpensive, have a screen, it is solid state (i.e., no hardrive) and the form factor is nice and small. The previous iPod nanos are very nice, if you can pick up a used one that would do you well too.

There are others but the price shoots up dramatically.

Bike
    Big and slow
    Actually what I meant was that the files on the iPod itself is in ACC format which unless you know the work arounds are not normally accessible. You can always use something like Sentui to rip the music off an iPod. The music that is kept in the iTunes folder is still mp3.
    Flowbie- Mellowing with age...

Stolen from Atom:
    Being a road crayon sucks....put your gear between you and the pavement.

Bike
    Suzuki SV650, 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTrack View Post
    Isn't there some sort of issue with downloading music and stuff to ipod's that mp3 players don't have?
    I've never ran into any difficulty with it. I rip my cds using easy cd extractor (an exellent program and cheap) into standard mp3. I use itunes as my music program to upload and download music to the ipod. Some people don't like itunes but I l like it. I've tried many music programs and its no better or worse than anything else I've used.
    -
    -
    Previous:69 Triumph 500, 71 BSA lightning, 73 Triumph Trident, Yamaha DT125, 85 Honda Nighthawk, 88 Harley Sportster, CB 900...hmm I think thats it

Bike
    Suzuki SV650, 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by flowrider View Post
    Actually what I meant was that the files on the iPod itself is in ACC format which unless you know the work arounds are not normally accessible. You can always use something like Sentui to rip the music off an iPod. The music that is kept in the iTunes folder is still mp3.

I don't think that is true. I just tried dragging a song off my ipod and it played in microsofts music program.
    -
    -

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
    We appear to be about the same vintage. My first computer was a Commodore PET 8K. My brother had the 8 track stereo recorder in the family.

I'm on my second iPod. I would recommend it for the user interface. Very intuitive and easy. I tried a Creative Zen and it drove me nuts so I took it back.

Don't get anything less than 8gig. I had a 4gig Nano and it was too small. I currently have a 16gig iPod Touch. It is about 1/2 full right now. It has great wow factor, but I think I would buy the 16gig nano if I was in the buying mood right now.

I'd probably stay away from the hard drive based players. Tiny little complicated machines just make me nervous. Solid state (like the nano and touch) don't care too much about vibration etc.

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    Stay away from the ipod. Mine died for no apparent reason after about 14 months - I got a Sandisk Sansa e280 after and love it. You can transfer music without itunes, and it also supports subscription based software such as Napster. Apple have openly admitted that they've designed the ipod to last for a max of 18months, as they expect people to upgrade.
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

Bike
    2015 FZ07
    Quote Originally Posted by psyclone View Post
    I've never ran into any difficulty with it. I rip my cds using easy cd extractor (an exellent program and cheap) into standard mp3. I use itunes as my music program to upload and download music to the ipod. Some people don't like itunes but I l like it. I've tried many music programs and its no better or worse than anything else I've used.
    Thanks, that's great info!
    I'll get an iPod Nano and find out what itunes is all about. I do have 'Limewire' on my PC, but I've never had a need to use it...will that work with an iPod?

Bike
    VTR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by SkydiveSonic View Post
    Stay away from the ipod. Mine died for no apparent reason after about 14 months - I got a Sandisk Sansa e280 after and love it. You can transfer music without itunes, and it also supports subscription based software such as Napster. Apple have openly admitted that they've designed the ipod to last for a max of 18months, as they expect people to upgrade.
    I have had my iPod shuffle for about 3 years and it is still going strong.

My suggestion is to go with the iPod. Nothing beats Apple's combo of software and hardware. It also has the most aftermarket stuff of all MP3 players.