Pissed about my cell phone bill.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pissed about my cell phone bill.

Registered User Array scubaphil's Avatar
    Bike
    99 R6

Pissed about my cell phone bill.

My cell phone carrier was with Cityfone (which was a sister company of fido) and i just finished my contact so I switched to rogers. simple. However, here's the kicker. Because I didnt' call Cityfone and give them a 30 day warning that I was cancelling, they are billing me an extra month as a 'penalty'.

This is what's printed on the back.

"unless otherwise agreed, you may terminate the service and this agreement at any time by providing cityfone 30 days notice provided that the term of the agreement hs epxired. you mayb notify by phone, mail..blah blah blah.
    you will be responsible for all charges incurred for the services until the time the services are canceled. you will not be refunded for any unused airtime units."

my contract has ended so there should not be any penalties. My service with them terminated the day it was transferred to rogers so i'll be happy to pay until the end of my bill cycle but i think it is uncalled for and it doesn't say i have to pay for any penalty.

am i reading this wrong? i tried calling but it doens't work. I'm thinking i should call mastercard to dispute the charges.

cliff: cancel phone, went to rogers. because i didnt' give them 30 days notice, i have to pay for 1 more month of air time.
    If jack helped you off a horse would you help jack off a horse??

You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    It works with jobs, should work here. Don't speak to a CSR or a floor lead - ask to speak with a supervisor straight away.
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

Bike
    Ninja 1000
    The sad thing is Fido is owned by rogers, so ultimately I am sure rogers will get a portion of your BS cancellation fee. I hope they refund it to you.

I just swtiched from fido to Rogers, thankfully I did not get a cancellation fee but I was with a fido for almost ten years. How long were you with cityfone?

The Comedy is in the Back Array Saturnin's Avatar
    Bike
    bro, do you even ride in a straight line? #1 asshole
    give 'em hell
    Throttle Trauma 3 - Stunt riding documentary - digital download - visit Asphaltjunkiez.com
    The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.

Asian Persuasion Array dragnit02's Avatar
    Bike
    Pumpkin Orange
    if you do not know when exactly that your contract ended, you should contact them to find out as a precaution. If it was over and you were going month to month, I think you still have to call the carrier before you port your number over to the new carrier.
    So much work & so little time!!

Bike
    2006 GSXR 750
    it's bizarre they're charging you a cancellation fee because as Lee said they're owned by Rogers.. so you're not switching TO Rogers.. you're already with Rogers but just under a different service offering. Ask to speak to a supervisor and point that out.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain

Hello BCSB!

Bike
    50th Anniversary R6
    I'm in the same boat as you, except I switched from Bell to Rogers. I had Rogers do the cancellation so that way I could still keep the number I had with Bell. After all was said and done I tried to sell my Bell phone, when they checked to see if the serial numbers were clear, Bells computers show that it still has a 3 year contract on the phone. Bell is making me wait 30 days before I can unload my phone for someone else to activate it even though I don't have any service from them or even an active phone.
    Bart: What's Santa's Little Helper doing to that dog? Looks like he's trying to jump over, but he can't quite make it.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    92 Moped
    What's the problem.....did you even read what you typed? You said that you had to provide them 30 days notice of cancellation "...by providing cityfone 30 days notice..."...so that means you need to provide them 30 days notice of cancellation.....and you have to pay for those 30 days of cellphone service whether you use it or not.

Again....what's the problem?

Next time go with a more reputable company...

I do all my own stunts Array boarder's Avatar
    Bike
    only 1 bike now, '02 gsxr750
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    What's the problem.....did you even read what you typed? You said that you had to provide them 30 days notice of cancellation "...by providing cityfone 30 days notice..."...so that means you need to provide them 30 days notice of cancellation.....and you have to pay for those 30 days of cellphone service whether you use it or not.

a more reputable comany eh? All of these contracts with telus, bell, rogers don't expire. They keep billing u until you cancel your contract. Granted he didn't notify and breached the contract; but u can switch your contracts between fido and rogers without a penalty, i dont see why it'd be any different with cityphone
    anyone wanna lend me a bike ?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    SOLD
    Quote Originally Posted by boarder View Post
    a more reputable comany eh? All of these contracts with telus, bell, rogers don't expire. They keep billing u until you cancel your contract. Granted he didn't notify and breached the contract; but u can switch your contracts between fido and rogers without a penalty, i dont see why it'd be any different with cityphone
    what he said.

Registered User Array Pete_Wong's Avatar
    Bike
    2001 Honda F4i
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieJames View Post
    it's bizarre they're charging you a cancellation fee because as Lee said they're owned by Rogers.. so you're not switching TO Rogers.. you're already with Rogers but just under a different service offering. Ask to speak to a supervisor and point that out.

Although Rogers does own Fido, they are still operating as separate entities so you are switching over to Rogers. Fido customers don't have access to Rogers plans and vice versa. Thats why they only offer free Rogers to Rogers.

Just because one company owns another doesn't mean they are one and the same.

And no, I don't work for Rogers, but I work for a Financial Institution that owns another Financial Institution and it works the same way. People that have an account with one, doesn't mean they have an account with both.

Bike
    2001 ninja 250 and ZX-6R
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete_Wong View Post
    Although Rogers does own Fido, they are still operating as separate entities so you are switching over to Rogers. Fido customers don't have access to Rogers plans and vice versa. Thats why they only offer free Rogers to Rogers.

And no, I don't work for Rogers, but I work for a Financial Institution that owns another Financial Institution and it works the same way. People that have an account with one, doesn't mean they have an account with both.
    Actually, I'm with Rogers and have free network calling, which includes free Rogers to Fido.
    WMRC #736

Bike
    Ninja 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete_Wong View Post

The money still ends up in the same place! I don't care if the companies are a seperate legal entity, Alot of customers get additional charges that amount to simple price gouging and 'made up' fees.

I work for Investors Group which is owned by Power Financial. Power Financial also owns Canada Life, Great West Life, Mackenzie Financial, etc. Between all these companies we do have systems in place to ensure certain fees are not charged. As long as the client remains in the 'family' its all good!

Registered User Array scubaphil's Avatar
    Bike
    99 R6
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post

my contact already ended already so i'm not breaking any contacts.

It ONLY says I need to give notification to cancel but it didn't say what penalities I have to pay for. They could've easily say 500 dollars and I would still have to pay for it.
    If jack helped you off a horse would you help jack off a horse??

You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Bike
    r6 track slut
    I had dickhead creditors after me for exactly the same reason. Fido contract ended, switched to Rogers and Fido billed me another month. I told them to eat shit, politely (I think it was "Smother fecal matter in and around your mouth) and have ignored them ever since. Still pisses me off and it's been about 2 years.