Thread: Oscar Peterson passes on

North Vancouver
    Suzuki SV650, 2002

Oscar Peterson passes on

This is a real kick in the nuts.

Canadian jazz great Oscar Peterson dies

Last Updated: Monday, December 24, 2007 | 2:40 PM ET
    CBC News

The jazz odyssey is over for Oscar Peterson: the Canadian known globally as one of the most spectacularly talented musicians ever to play jazz piano has died at age 82.

In August 2005, Canada Post paid tribute to Oscar Peterson on his 80th birthday by issuing a postage stamp in his honour.
    (Nathan Denette/Canadian Press)

Peterson died Sunday night at his home in Mississauga, Ont., from kidney failure, CBC News has confirmed.

"The world has lost the world's greatest jazz player," Hazel McCallion, mayor of Mississauga and Peterson's friend, told CBC News Monday afternoon.

Renowned for his speed and virtuosity as a pianist, Peterson — who was born in Montreal and later made Toronto his home — made hundreds of recordings in his career, even after a stroke in 1993 disabled his left hand.

Current:Suzuki SV650, 2002
    Previous:69 Triumph 500, 71 BSA lightning, 73 Triumph Trident, Yamaha DT125, 85 Honda Nighthawk, 88 Harley Sportster, CB 900...hmm I think thats it

es ist orange und bellt Array barking pumpkin's Avatar
    2004 KTM 540SM
    RIP Oscar. One of the great Ivory tinklers.
    The Cult of Motard.

Just say NO to fairings!

Fuelled by rice Array racerboy88's Avatar
    lower mainland
    RIP wow, he was a very talented musician, A great loss
    02 R1- stolen Nov 24/02

Hang Thieves

license to chill Array frontside5's Avatar
    R6, F4 stunter
    Seeing him play and meeting him is one of my life's highlights so far - 2004 @ the Orpheum. We're laughing at something he said while he's signing my girlfriend's program.

The man was a musical genius and one of the best ever of any genre. It's a sad day indeed.

K5 GSX-R600
    Lucky man... I missed his 2004 concert, and was hoping I'd get to see him before he passed away.
    • He who dares not offend, cannot be honest.
    • The whole religious complexion of the modern world is due to the absence from Jerusalem of a lunatic asylum.