Sony ear buds for under helmet

Thread: Sony ear buds for under helmet

Bike
    2015 FZ07

Sony ear buds for under helmet

I originally bought JVC Marshmallow earbuds to wear under my helmet, but either one side or the other would pull out just putting on my helmet. I found a pair of Sony earbuds that don't pull out when putting on my helmet:
    Sony MDR-EX32LP "Big Bass" earbuds. They are $31.99 in Best Buy. Absolutely AMAZING sound reproduction, particularly the bass. They also come with 3 different earbud sizes...medium is already installed and they seem just right. They have a smaller end-to-end profile than the JVC's, so much less is sticking out of the ear.
    I don't think they'll block out outside sound as well as the JVC's, but if the JVC's won't stay in, then that makes them pretty useless.
    Can't wait to find out how good they are when riding. Where's the sunshine?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Yeah...I thought the same thing...got that shitty ipod nano wide open and can't hear a fucking thing, cept the akros barking in my head drowning out METAL!! Then when I come to a light I can't hear anything but BLAIRINGLY LOUD MUSIC.....

I just stuck it in the drawer and got the Deci Damps out...Ahhhhhh Peace and Quiet again .....

I take the car if I wanna hear some tunes. My ADD isn't as bad as some peoples....My voices don't talk to me when I RIDE !!

Bike
    2015 FZ07
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee View Post
    Yeah...I thought the same thing...got that shitty ipod nano wide open and can't hear a fucking thing, cept the akros barking in my head drowning out METAL!! Then when I come to a light I can't hear anything but BLAIRINGLY LOUD MUSIC.....
    No akros on my bike. Yet. The only noise I hear is something like a Singer sewing machine and a bit of wind blast. And the voices, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee
    I just stuck it in the drawer and got the Deci Damps out...Ahhhhhh Peace and Quiet again .....

I take the car if I wanna hear some tunes. My ADD isn't as bad as some peoples....My voices don't talk to me when I RIDE !!
    If the iPod is a wash on the bike, I'll use it in my car when doing my long, dealer-visiting road trips through the Southern Interior with no radio to listen to except CBC . Better than fumbling with CD cases.

Fast Pack Slow Guy Array Tattoodles's Avatar
    Bike
    A privileged sufferer settling for an Italian motorcycle
    Have you considered using actual helmet speakers and not ear buds?
    My bike is so much faster than yours that I dare you to ride it, you lame little turd. Do you have the balls to ride this BOTTOMLESS PIT OF TORQUE?

~Hunter S. Thompson

Bike
    sportbike... pfffft!
    i find with the marshmellows to put them in a few mins before you put on your lid, like just after you start your bike. then they will have expanded out and be stuck in there well. then, as you put on your helmet pull the straps out and try not to fold over your ears, usually worked for me, takes a bit of practice to get it

Bike
    2015 FZ07
    Quote Originally Posted by Tattoodles View Post
    Have you considered using actual helmet speakers and not ear buds?
    Yes, I did consider that, but thanks to this forum I now wear earplugs.
    I figured that if I had to wear earplugs (I'd hate to run into some of the lunatics on BCSB who regularly beat the shit out of anyone who says they don't wear earplugs ), I might as well listen to a bit of music at the same time. I'll try both the JVC's and the Sony's...if it's a lost cause I'll give it up and just wear my earplugs.

Bike
    2015 FZ07
    Quote Originally Posted by anoxion View Post
    i find with the marshmellows to put them in a few mins before you put on your lid, like just after you start your bike. then they will have expanded out and be stuck in there well. then, as you put on your helmet pull the straps out and try not to fold over your ears, usually worked for me, takes a bit of practice to get it
    Thanks for the tip re: putting the m/mallows in a few minutes before putting on my lid.
    I cannot put on my helmet without my ears folding over...when I push a finger in to push my ears back up again, out come the buds. Duct tape maybe...?
    I'm sure I'll get there with a bit of practice.

Bike
    I wear ear plugs and helmet speakers at the same time. The result is better quality music volume and better noise cancellation than some $300 ear buds I once used. And much more comfortable and convenient. The ear plugs block the noise and are easy to wear under the helmet and the speakers provide an ample volume of music over the ear plugs and are comfortable to the point that you don't notice them in the helmet as the speakers are a part of the helmet and not attached directly to my head.

http://www.clearercom.com/xpro.htm
    My bike is so much faster than yours that I dare you to ride it, you lame little turd. Do you have the balls to ride this BOTTOMLESS PIT OF TORQUE?

~Hunter S. Thompson

Bike
    2015 FZ07
    Thanks...I wondered if the helmet speakers could be heard properly when wearing earplugs.
    Okay...I'll order a pair...thanks for the info!
    Sheesh, this forum. First earplugs, then daring to ride on low beam instead of high beam during the day, then helmet speakers.....can a tattoo be that far away?

Bike
    FYI, Clearer Communications (the link I posted) is based out of an office on E. Hastings. They're friendly to motorcyclists dropping by and picking up your order in person.

Hope this helps.

~Hunter S. Thompson

Bike
    2015 FZ07
    Thanks again! I'll drop by their office next week.

Bike
    2015 FZ07
    Quote Originally Posted by Tattoodles View Post
    FYI, Clearer Communications (the link I posted) is based out of an office on E. Hastings. They're friendly to motorcyclists dropping by and picking up your order in person.

Hope this helps.
    I went to Clearer Communications today and picked up a the TORK XPRO unit ($79, but if you pay cash, they're $80 total ). The speaker pads are larger in diameter than I expected, but I tried a quick "test fit" in my Shoei RF100 and they fit in the "earhole" in the lining perfectly...in fact, they will stay put without using either the double-sided tape or the velcro, but I'll see if I like them first. They do tend to "squish" my outer ear a bit, but not so much to be either uncomfortable or distracting. The sound is amazing, particularly the bass when plugged into my iPod. The speaker set also comes with an in-line volume control which works very well and is easily accessable. I strung the thin speaker wires down the back of my helmet, out of the way. I'll decide how to route the wires to my iPod later, once I've decided where the iPod will go.
    Oh...note that Clearer Communications have moved to a new location a little west of where they were before. The address in the 2007 Richmond phone book is incorrect...I'm glad I phoned first.
    Clearer Communications: 6735 Hastings St. (on the north side of Hastings, just west of the turn up to SFU (Burnaby Mtn Parkway). Nice people.

Bike
    Glad to hear it worked out for you. I've been enjoying these same speakers for years. I coupled mine with the Tork Booster for just a little more kick and I have no complaints.

~Hunter S. Thompson