Any dry wall reapair folks on here?

Thread: Any dry wall reapair folks on here?

User And Abuser Array alternateimpact's Avatar
    Bike
    2004 CBR 600 F4i

Any dry wall reapair folks on here?

A pipe burst in the tenants bathroom upstairs from us. the result was water flodding into our bedroom. I drilled some drain holes into the cieling, unfortunaly when I checked on it this morning chunks of the cieling were falling down. I would say a 5x5 foot area of ceiling and insulation is soaked. I tore some of the wet gyprock to allow a heater a fan to dry it out...but I think most of the cieling and insulation is gonna need to be ripped out and replaced. Anyone on here do this kinda work proffesionally, or know someone that does? I am a renter, so the landlord would be the one shelling out the dough to clean this mess. My biggest concern, other than the fact that my wife now have our bedroom set up in the living room, is the mold growing in between the floors. As well as moisture around the eltrical for the light.

here are some pics:

Bike
    sportbike... pfffft!
    yep, make sure that all the insulation is replaced, dont let them cheap out. any drywall that got wet needs to be cut out too, mold grows in that shit like no tommorow. dont let them cheap out or you'll be breathing that shit, not fun, i still have lung problems from exposure to mold when i was a kid (extended period, yada yada, but still).

Bike
    2000 suzuki gsx-r 600 alstare

Talking yo

you could call canstar restorations i guess theyre located in poco I used to work for them great bunch of guys Phone: 604-944-1461
    Remember that the toe you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

fake it until you can make it.

Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.

You don't see very many motorcycles parked outside of a psychiatrists office!

Three hour tour guide Array silverD's Avatar
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    Random thoughts ....

Definitely there should be pros involved, Edenvale (Edendale?) and OnSite (Onside?) are a couple that come to mind.

The landlord's insurance should be covering it, and it won't be cheap.

There should already be drying going on!! big fans and dehumidifiers..
    mould and fungus are a real possibility and concern.

Don't know what to say if your landlord's not moving by now, perhaps a call to the health authority in your city.

Good luck..
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

The Comedy is in the Back Array Saturnin's Avatar
    Bike
    bro, do you even ride in a straight line? #1 asshole
    cut a square out, and just put a new square in... saw and shit will be yoru friend...
    Throttle Trauma 3 - Stunt riding documentary - digital download - visit Asphaltjunkiez.com
    The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.

Bike
    I've remodelled my entire basement and built extra rooms in my house. Done drywall, electrical, plumbing, framing, tiling, painting, etc.

Since you are a renter, I would leave it to the professionals to deal with. OnSide is a respectable company. So is Phoenix restorations. Let the pros deal with it and let the landlord foot the bill. Better sooner than later.

problem solved.

User And Abuser Array alternateimpact's Avatar
    Bike
    2004 CBR 600 F4i
    thanks for the advice guys. its shit like this that makes me hate the fact that I am still renting. if it were my own place I woulda ripped the whole fucking cieling down by now, and rebuilt it...but I have a stingy landlord Who I know what have a fit if the bill started to run too high. As far as I am concerned its her problem, and needs to be fixed properly no matter what the expense.

I'm a she-male. Array integra298's Avatar
    Bike
    Scooty Puff Junior.

Arrow

So why are you renting?
    -teg-

Hello? Anyone still out there? d:

Bike
    2013 Ninja 1000
    Ever heard of black mold?

My last place that I rented, flooded anytime it rained to hard, result was the drywall got wet and was chronically wet. Wet dry wall breeds mold!

GET OUT!!!

MOVE TOMORROW!!

Your health is more important than a little stress from having to find a place and move your shit.
    We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.

RIP guthrie and lisa Array jacky's Avatar
    Bike
    2006CBR600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturnin View Post
    cut a square out, and just put a new square in... saw and shit will be yoru friend...
    Whoa sat knows what hes talking about...
    You contruxxx guy
    Banhammer OlympicsBanhammer OlympicsBanhammer A million $ body and a food stamp face OlympicsBanhammer OlympicsBanhammer Olympics

Registered User Array cyclestarter's Avatar
    Bike
    Blue Sport Tourer
    Have the grey water lines in the photo cut out and replaced while they're at it. They are notorious for bursting. You can replace with a Pex pipe that has an oxygen barrier to prevent what those grey pipes are known for.
    ~
    I love the sound of an idling bike early in the morning

Shiftless clutcher Array ZoomaFoo's Avatar
    Bike
    '01 GSX-R600 race bike
    Quote Originally Posted by alternateimpact View Post
    thanks for the advice guys. its shit like this that makes me hate the fact that I am still renting. if it were my own place I woulda ripped the whole fucking cieling down by now, and rebuilt it...but I have a stingy landlord Who I know what have a fit if the bill started to run too high. As far as I am concerned its her problem, and needs to be fixed properly no matter what the expense.
    You're absolutely right that it's her problem. She can have a fit if she wants to, but she's legally obligated to fix the damage immediately. This is from TRAC (Tenants Resource and Advisory Centre http://www.tenants.bc.ca/factsheets/....htm#repairs):)

"The law says a landlord must keep a place healthy, safe and 'suitable for occupation.' Your landlord has to make any repairs that are needed for your health and safety.
    Your landlord is responsible for repairing:

heating
    plumbing
    electricity
    locks
    walls, floors and ceilings (including water leaks or holes)..."
    "When in doubt, FLAT OUT!"

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Mold is only an issue where there's trapped moisture or long term moisture in closed in spaces. Drywall and plaster is actually very pourous and as long as there isn't a long term leak in the cieling there won't be any mold growing in there. This was a one time deal. Repair the ceiling and carry on. Not a biggie.

Now if the ceiling had caved in due to a long term small drip that kept the area in there wet for months then I'd be worried.

I know that mold is a serious factor WHEN IT OCCURS but folks see mold in every incident these days. Chances are far more likely that there's more mold on your (and my) bathroom walls right now than there is in that leaky cieling.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    I rent out my place....every month I collect rent I ask the guys if anything needs to be addressed. It's the Landlords responsibility 100% to take care of it. Even if they're ignorant and don't know better (like the toilet running for a month), and I only noticed when my water bill tripled.

If you get any grief at all from the landlord, you can file a complaint, and if so don't waste any TIME either. Ignorant people should be SHUT Down.